Notices

how useful are intake manifolds?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how useful are intake manifolds?

i was maybe thinking about getting a new intake manifold for my car cause they say its like 15hp as long as you have a turbo. but i read in an add that you only get that horsepower in the 7-10 rpm range. is that true?
Old 01-01-2003, 08:56 PM

Default Re: how useful are intake manifolds? (midnightls)

Well if you have a turbo application the amount of hp gained will vary depending on the amount of boost you run, along with other flow dependent characteristics.
Old 01-01-2003, 08:58 PM

Default Re: how useful are intake manifolds? (blu_si)

yeah, but <U>right now</U> im redlining at 7000 so would it be pointess to get one right now?
Old 01-01-2003, 09:20 PM

Depends on what your running to which intake manifold would be best. Skunk2 is the best I've seen so far. If you run a larger TB you'll notice the gains even at lower rpms also. How high you rev doesn't matter. Anything to make your intake larger and smooth out the air-flow going in will be beneficial. Turbulance heats up the air so does excessive pressures. Larger manifold would mean you can run less boost for the same amount of power. Ok? I hope that makes sense, and someone learned something they didn't know previously.

Yeah I'm a Jack-a$$.
I like your avatar.

[Modified by tzsir, 12:21 AM 1/2/2003]
Old 01-01-2003, 09:31 PM

not useful...turn the boost up 1 pound.
Old 01-01-2003, 09:57 PM

Default Re: how useful are intake manifolds? (top notch)

that 7k to 10k sounds like the victer x manifold there are other out there that make power gains sooner like the skunk
Old 01-01-2003, 10:16 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: how useful are intake manifolds? (EFrollingout)

Im going from a LS mani to a skunk 2 mani on my LS. should have results on power gains very soon. I dont think it will be big gains but i just try to make my set up as efficient as possible. i see it as freeing up horsepower.

i noticed u were considering LSvtec on another thread. keep in mind before u buy an intake manifold that a manifold made for an LS will not bolt on to a vtec head.
Old 01-02-2003, 05:59 AM

Default Re: how useful are intake manifolds? (tzsir)

If you run a larger TB you'll notice the gains even at lower rpms also.
Which throttle body would you recommend? Would the type r throttle body be big enough, or would you recommend a 70mm one?
Old 01-02-2003, 10:03 AM
Smarter than you

If you run a larger TB you'll notice the gains even at lower rpms also.
a larger throttle body doesn't really increase gains on the low end. it just lets in more at the same throttle angle as before giving u better throttle response and a false sense of power.

I looked into getting an ITR throttle body to go w/ my skunk 2 mani but then I looked at the charge pipe that goes in to it. its 2 1/4(57mm) while my TB is 60mm. the distance the air travels from the charge pipe to the manifold is about 2". under boost im not so sure of the gains. One thing i wonder about is what would happen if u portmatched the TB to the manifold and then increased the size of the upper charge pipe to match the TB. humm

[Modified by DIRep972, 11:04 AM 1/2/2003]
Old 01-02-2003, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how useful are intake manifolds? (DIRep972)

I have to agree with you on the throttle bodies.

I am redoing all my intercooler piping in 2.5", and it matches my stock throttle body perfectly. I dont see how a little bit larger opening would help out that much. You are stuffing air into the throttle body already, a tiny difference in circumference doesnt help that much, maybe 5-10whp. Turn up the boost 1psi, and you achieve the same results.
Old 01-02-2003, 11:01 AM

Default Re: how useful are intake manifolds? (boosted hybrid)

Port-matcing aids the flow of air by smoothing it out a little so it's worth it. Make sure your TB is larger than the charge piping to account for the throttle-plate, or butterfly valve whatever you want to call it.

Yeah ok turn up the boost ruin your efficiency. Turbo's are about efficiency not levels of boost. A larger TB allows more air to flow through your intake at one time reducing backpressure and turbulance. Both of which cause heat and increase chances of detonation. A tiny bit does mean something when stuffing it in. You'll have hotter air going in with smaller intake diameters. WHP doesn't mean dick. It's the torque I have all up my power-band that you don't have.
I was thinking more on the lines of 70mm and up which would cost just as much if not less than a ITR TB. Type-R's are designed with N/A in mind. I was given this link a while ago, and I'm going to use an Infiniti TB with internal diameter of 85mm. My Intercooler piping is a variable sized piping. I think 2.5 is smaller than it's smallest diameter, but I'm not sure. It's not one part the makes the difference in an engine. It's the system as a whole. I've been saying this the whole time. If you crank up the boost you also crank up your intake temps.

Forget it. It's not worth arguing with you. See you at the track.
[Modified by tzsir, 2:10 PM 1/2/2003]

[Modified by tzsir, 2:58 PM 1/2/2003]
Old 01-02-2003, 11:21 AM

a good combo is the skunk 2 with a hollly 68 mm port matched to the skunk.
i think that would be something to consider in your case.

for every one that says just turn up the boost 1psi that is not the point.
you can always do that, think if you got the manifold and tb you can still do that and achive even higher hp levels.
Old 01-02-2003, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually 1psi wont really ruin my efficiency at all. If the standard for power production is 15 horsepower per pound of boost, then upping my boost pressure 1 psi will give me the same or a bit more power than a larger throttle body will. You can enjoy your torquey powerband, while i enjoy my weak powerband and be slow all day. Thanks for the ***** comment, i enjoyed it.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: how useful are intake manifolds? (boosted hybrid)

to tell you the trust TZIR, i have seen guys lose hp from doing skunk ims and doing bigger thorttle bodies, its not always the best thig to do . . . granted all cars are different and will get differenct results, but it depends on too many factors. you cant just throw it on becuase the manufacturer says it will work and always expect you hp to increase

as far as not arguing and going to the track im in with you . what tracks you go to ?, id be more than happy to show you a few things ive learned in my days
Old 01-02-2003, 12:37 PM

Default Re: how useful are intake manifolds? (itr206)

I'll be at Great Lakes Dragway this year. Unfortunately not with my car. It's still broken as we speak. I'm hoping to get it fixed before this coming season is up, but I'll be there with a friend and his rail . I'd be more than willing to come to your track and learn a few things that you know. I'm always willing to learn about cars. What tracks do you frequent? We can come out and see your set-up.
I've seen people lose power with a larger TB, but then I showed them how to size everything and they ran it again making more power than if they were to just turn up the boost. It's all in the tuning and sizing. You also have to take in account the exhaust and how fast your turbo spools. Like I've stated it has to work as a system not individually.