Notices

how to tune the untunable!!!! blue box q's

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to tune the untunable!!!! blue box q's

hey guys whats up,
I recently installed a greddy turbo kit with a greddy intercooler on my 92 hatchie with a d16z6, I was expecting some major improvements, Not ferrari like improvements but some. I was however sorely dissapointed. I was at the track a few weeks ago and was only able to run a best of 14.64@95 mph. I am running a greddy blue box for fuel managment and a stock dx gearbox on street tires.
I was pulling consistent 2.0 60 ft times however.

Now, Heres where you guys can help me, I hope! I am new to turbos therfore I dont know much about tuning a turbocharged car, How can you tune an untunable piece of equipment, (blue box)?
The moment my map sensor sees boost it sends my engine into, super rich, gas guzzling, so much fuel that it could almost put the fire out mode. Is this normal.
I mean it really doesnt feel that bad and I definitely did notice a big improvement over NA but It just doesnt feel right.

It seems to have no low end power and no top end power and lots of midrange muscle. from 1-3k it bogs like crazy then Oh shiznit hold on to your *** up to about 5.5k and then it feels like the power slowly goes away up to redline. Is this normal.

It seems like before I turbod it, it made decent low end power and great top end power. Its like the turbo only helps me from 3k to 5.5k, what gives. when the turbo spools up in 1st and 2nd gear it will break my tires loose, then when the rpms get up to about 5.5k it seems like i'm running NA.

Can someone give me some good advice to help me get through my problems. I know that the blue box is my achilles heel but I just cant afford to get a hondata or some other standalone. BTW last night I just thought that maybe my exhaust was too restrictive and that was why I was losing top end power, So I uncorked it at the DP before the cat and tryed it out. It still seems to have the same problem though.

Someone please help me and lead me in the right direction.

I'm not expecting a 11-12 second car but maybe into the mid to high 13's

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 06-14-2003, 05:10 PM

Default Re: how to tune the untunable!!!! blue box q's (hondafrk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondafrk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">\
Now, Heres where you guys can help me, I hope! I am new to turbos therfore I dont know much about tuning a turbocharged car, How can you tune an untunable piece of equipment, (blue box)?
The moment my map sensor sees boost it sends my engine into, super rich, gas guzzling, so much fuel that it could almost put the fire out mode. Is this normal.
I mean it really doesnt feel that bad and I definitely did notice a big improvement over NA but It just doesnt feel right.

It seems to have no low end power and no top end power and lots of midrange muscle. from 1-3k it bogs like crazy then Oh shiznit hold on to your *** up to about 5.5k and then it feels like the power slowly goes away up to redline. Is this normal.

It seems like before I turbod it, it made decent low end power and great top end power. Its like the turbo only helps me from 3k to 5.5k, what gives. when the turbo spools up in 1st and 2nd gear it will break my tires loose, then when the rpms get up to about 5.5k it seems like i'm running NA.

Can someone give me some good advice to help me get through my problems. I know that the blue box is my achilles heel but I just cant afford to get a hondata or some other standalone. BTW last night I just thought that maybe my exhaust was too restrictive and that was why I was losing top end power, So I uncorked it at the DP before the cat and tryed it out. It still seems to have the same problem though.

Someone please help me and lead me in the right direction.

I'm not expecting a 11-12 second car but maybe into the mid to high 13's

Thanks in advance guys.</TD></TR></TABLE>

with a greddy kit this is gonna be hard to achieve becuase the turbo is so small. You might want to get rid of that 2 inch downpipe and go 2.5 inch if possible and high flo cat and 2.5 -3 inch exhaustr to get soem of that top end. but htat turbo will always loose breath up high. I fyou want quicker spool, you might wnat to try a boost controller becuase it wont let hte wastegate open until it reaches full boost, might help by say 500 RPM's. tuning the blue box i think is impossible go get yoruself some 440's or 450's and an SAFC and then you can tune for more power/
Old 06-14-2003, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to tune the untunable!!!! blue box q's (project dc2)

so what you are saying is to shitcan the bluebox and get some bigger injectors and a af controller. That way I can monitor and adjust my a/f ratios as I go.

and as far as the turbo itself goes, would upgrading to a larger turbo be a good Idea? Say maybe a t3-t4?

thanks for your help

Old 06-14-2003, 06:08 PM

how much boost are u currently running? also, ditch the dx tranny and get an ex. see if that doesnt drop it a few tenths in the 1/4. i've seen z6 with the greddy kit go into the 13s before. you should be able to hit it with or without the blue box, depending on how much ur willing to spend.
Old 06-15-2003, 06:20 AM

I am pretty new to turbos myself. I know that Greddy makes it easier to tune the blue box with the Profec E01, its suppose to give you full access to the blue box and tune it properly with the E01, adjust your fuel curve, boost control everything that you cant do with the blue box installed and not tuned. I looking into this same problem myself and taking my car to get tuned with the Profec E01. Cant afford a hondata setup either right now so hopefully this would solve my problems too.
Old 06-15-2003, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to tune the untunable!!!! blue box q's (ghostsi69)

I was running 5 psi when I got the 14.41, I bumped up the boost to about 8 now and it feels considerably stronger.

How does the profec eo1 work?
Old 06-15-2003, 09:38 AM
New User

The E01 works in conjunction w/ the Greddy E-Manage. Not the Bluebox.