Notices

how thick of a head gasket do i need?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how thick of a head gasket do i need?

i have a obd 1 jdm b16 that im going to turbo and just wanted to know what head gasket i could go with to lower the compression and how thick should i go if i will keep it stock
Old 10-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how thick of a head gasket do i need? (EF88Vtec)

how much power do you want? what grade fuel will you use? what compression ratio do you want?
Old 10-11-2008, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: how thick of a head gasket do i need? (EF88Vtec)

this was covered monday or tuesday
Old 10-11-2008, 06:27 AM

im goning to use pump and i want to make some thing like 280. dont want to lower the compression by a lot i want to see if it would help(whats a good HG and where could i get it)
Old 10-11-2008, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EF88Vtec)

Using head gasket to alter Comp ratio

Oem head gasket

Altering Comp ratio through pistons

IMO
Old 10-12-2008, 01:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (H22Luda720)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H22Luda720 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Using head gasket to alter Comp ratio

Oem head gasket

IMO </TD></TR></TABLE>
Well put.
I wouldn't have said it better myself
Old 10-12-2008, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (H22Luda720)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H22Luda720 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Using head gasket to alter Comp ratio

Oem head gasket

IMO </TD></TR></TABLE>

And your reason for that is???

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jDMJeRk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Well put.
I wouldn't have said it better myself</TD></TR></TABLE>

And your reason for agreeing is?

to both of you i have done both methods and found both to be sucessful, it all comes down to budget for the end user/customer there is a huge price difference between adding a thicker HG and rebuilding your shortblock...
Old 10-12-2008, 08:50 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: (blinx9900)

The reason why they are agreeing is because though it may be somewhat a safe method, it is not the BEST method. Sometimes its about NOT changing some areas to get a specific result. If you don't have to lower the compression, why touch it? To the OP, please make sure that the engine is mechanically sound and ready to handle ANY boost (lowering compression is only a safety measure for your TUNER, not just you). Keeping the stock compression assists with better acceleration and putting the power you make to better use, instead of just bragging about how much PSI you push. For 280whp, your stock compression is more than fine.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TheShodan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheShodan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The reason why they are agreeing is because though it may be somewhat a safe method, it is not the BEST method. Sometimes its about NOT changing some areas to get a specific result. If you don't have to lower the compression, why touch it? To the OP, please make sure that the engine is mechanically sound and ready to handle ANY boost (lowering compression is only a safety measure for your TUNER, not just you). Keeping the stock compression assists with better acceleration and putting the power you make to better use, instead of just bragging about how much PSI you push. For 280whp, your stock compression is more than fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

WHO SAID YOU COULD CHANGE YOUR AVATAR!!

seriously though, i understand what your saying that as long as the OP's motor is healthy 280whp is easily attainable on a 100% OEM b16a long-block.

If its a JDM b16a i would drop it down down to ~9.8 by using a .050 Cometic head-gasket cause i live in socal and use 91octane, i like running lower compression, helps me sleep at night, and leaves room to make more power on low grade 91 octane pump gas if i wanna crank up the boost and re-tune. I'm personally at 8.3:1 and i have no complaints on off boost or spool up. My previous setup was 10.8:1 and boosted so i do know the difference...

Your basically saying the same thing as me, i am saying pistons are over the top and a waste of money to drop the compression on such a mild hp goal and HG will do it just fine. Your taking it a step further and saying don't even waste money on the head gasket if the motor is healthy.

TO THE OP: so basically if I was you i would run a .050 Cometic head-gasket which will drop your CR down to 9.8
Old 10-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blinx9900)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blinx9900 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

And your reason for that is???

And your reason for agreeing is?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Using a thicker head gasket to lower the static cr puts the head farther away from the pistons, killing the quench. Lower cr pistons don't sit farther down in the bore, they have a different shape, and if properly designed, still interact with the head properly. Endyn gets into this heavily..and that's why their rollerwave pistons are the ****.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rorik)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rorik &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Using a thicker head gasket to lower the static cr puts the head farther away from the pistons, killing the quench. Lower cr pistons don't sit farther down in the bore, they have a different shape, and if properly designed, still interact with the head properly. Endyn gets into this heavily..and that's why their rollerwave pistons are the ****.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

so your telling me low compression dish pistons don't have the same effect? And the majority of what Larry at Endyn talks about is about NA motors where every single little thing adds up. I see no where on that article where he talks about quench in regards to forced induction applications.

http://www.theoldone.com/archive/quench-area.htm

and if you consider that article "heavy" then wow... and thank you for informing me on how low compression pistons sit inside the cylinder bore, its not like i have installed a set or anything... oh wait, i have