Notices

How stupid is this? Please Honda-tech, knock some sense into me

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How stupid is this? Please Honda-tech, knock some sense into me

I finally got my jdm single cam turbo going at 7psi, and it pulls nice.. Really nice, but maybe not nice enough. I have a .50 trim t3/t4, and I'm putting dsm 450s in it tomorrow. I was considering selling it and looking into an rb25. Am I jumping the gun? I dont really mind the lag too much, I just want to go fast... "I seen the way you drive, you got a heavy foot.." well thanks dom torreto, its because I FINALLY turboed my car and am pretty amped about it. what would benefit me more?
Old 09-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How stupid is this? Please Honda-tech, knock some sense into me

built motor???

All I have in my d16z6 is wiseco pistons eagle rods and a fresh rebuild on the head. I'm boosting 13 lbs prolly making a lil more then a rb25........and in a light civic. I'm running 450cc injectors in mine, but if I were running bigger injectors I'd be making 300 easily......
Old 09-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Is your single cam running an fmu, or stock injectors? What's in it now? If it's not a full tune on something like S300, ectune, neptune, then you're also harming the turbo's spooling.

If you really want faster spool, get a 2.0L vtec setup. It will be far less hastle, as well as less expensive. What you should really do is get something like a 50trim T3, larger MAP sensor, and run 15-18psi. It will spool much faster, and make similar power to 7psi on that turbo.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HiProfile
Is your single cam running an fmu, or stock injectors? What's in it now? If it's not a full tune on something like S300, ectune, neptune, then you're also harming the turbo's spooling.

If you really want faster spool, get a 2.0L vtec setup. It will be far less hastle, as well as less expensive. What you should really do is get something like a 50trim T3, larger MAP sensor, and run 15-18psi. It will spool much faster, and make similar power to 7psi on that turbo.
Sorry let me specify, I have a stock jdm d15, with no tune, an Fmu and stock injectors until tomorrow. First off, I KNOW HOW STUPID it is to boost with no tune on stock injectors, especially with an fmu seeing as how outdated it is. I spend 15 hours putting everything together and my car wasn't hitting boost at all, so I had to pull it a couple of times to fix one thing before I put injectors on tomorrow and something else breaks. I have a friend chipping and tuning either next week, or the week after so the days with my FMU are numbered. I just dont want to spend 800 on a dyno tune with a stock single cam and 7lbs. The reason I have this post is because friend 1 says injectors doesn't make that big of a difference, while friend 2 (the one I believe more) says proper fuel management is key for an efficient and fast turbo. How am I harming the turbos spool?

when you say 2LV set up are you referring to a b20v? That would be awesome for down the line, but as of right now I'm more into working with what I have. I'm considering buying a blown sc and doing the vitara/eagle rod set up.

Thanks for the info, got to learn to right your wrongs somewhere. I figured this was a little anticipated seeing as how I dont even have my tune/injectors on, but I've never had a turbo honda and dont know how big of a difference it will make
Old 09-13-2009, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fuel injectors are extremely important. you might get away with it for a while but over-working stock injectors can lead to a sudden injector failure, which in turn causes a huge lean-out, which THEN turns into destroyed engine parts.
i dont think injectors will make you faster on the same boost, but it will be much safer, and allow you to turn up the boost farther (though i dont recommend more than 8psi on stock internals)
Old 09-13-2009, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

at least get studs and a cometic head gasket if you're gonna run higher psi
Old 09-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

studs and gasket are on the list for the future- by future I mean next couple of weeks. I want the h-t opinion on whether or not my turbo is either to large and I should go smaller to go faster, or I'm completely over thinking it and a heeuge idiot. should I be looking into this rb25 where maxing it it out is still in my power band or keep the 50 trim?
Old 09-13-2009, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well as an example. im using a tiny little td04 14b mitsubishi turbo and on 8 psi i put down right at 240 hp on a b16 with stock internals and a slightly thicker head gasket. spools quick as ****.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cadeMFjohnson
well as an example. im using a tiny little td04 14b mitsubishi turbo and on 8 psi i put down right at 240 hp on a b16 with stock internals and a slightly thicker head gasket. spools quick as ****.
THAT rules dude, but whats better a quicker spool with quicker max out, or a lag and longer spool?
Old 09-13-2009, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

depends on your goals. i wanted to have a fun fast spooling car that could lay respectable low thirteens at the track and sound like god yelling as i drive bye. lol. and i have succeeded.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I never really focused on spool as much as a GTFO of my way noise (open dump+RFL). I came to this conclusion tonight- All I want to do is eat ******** in their eclipses. I'm not really too worried about off the line since getting ahead in the beginning doesn't mean you will win

Last edited by everythingwentblack; 09-13-2009 at 08:49 PM. Reason: I like to touch balls
Old 09-13-2009, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

"I never really focused on spool as much as a GTFO of my way noise (open dump+RFL). I came to this conclusion tonight- All I want to do is eat ******** in their eclipses."

LMAO, that just made my night.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by everythingwentblack
I never really focused on spool as much as a GTFO of my way noise (open dump+RFL). I came to this conclusion tonight- All I want to do is eat ******** in their eclipses.
lol! That's sig worthy right there!
Old 09-13-2009, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol indeed. then brake boost and keep your setup.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

am i missing something ? do you even own a nissan ? , since you keep bringing up a RB25
Old 09-13-2009, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your car is going to have hard time running (if at all) with those 450's with no tune. You cant just throw bigger injectors in and expect it to run.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turbo97coupe
am i missing something ? do you even own a nissan ? , since you keep bringing up a RB25
haha I do not own a nissan but a friend of mine has an sr20 swapped truck custom fitted with a 240 rear diff. its reedic. hes the one with an rb20
Originally Posted by Adam_b16a
Your car is going to have hard time running (if at all) with those 450's with no tune. You cant just throw bigger injectors in and expect it to run.
So I have come to realize... that just makes today that much easier since its one less thing to do

Last edited by everythingwentblack; 09-14-2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HOw stupid is this ? ... Not stupid, but reality. You expect too much without taking proper steps in getting there. If anything your post spells less than amateur builder. No tune, stock injectors, health of motor ? , stock exhaust ? , and WOT because you finally got it running ??? ... It's not running until you get it tuned, with proper Air-Fuel ratios. Learn to do it proper and don't Bit*h.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SI_frankenstein
"I never really focused on spool as much as a GTFO of my way noise (open dump+RFL). I came to this conclusion tonight- All I want to do is eat ******** in their eclipses."

LMAO, that just made my night.
haha in my defense of not sounding completely retarded, I was mentioning spool in reference to short spool vs long spool to cadeMFjohnson comparing his spool times to mine
Old 09-14-2009, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by street_ride14
HOw stupid is this ? ... Not stupid, but reality. You expect too much without taking proper steps in getting there. If anything your post spells less than amateur builder. No tune, stock injectors, health of motor ? , stock exhaust ? , and WOT because you finally got it running ??? ... It's not running until you get it tuned, with proper Air-Fuel ratios. Learn to do it proper and don't Bit*h.
Whoa dude dont need to be a dick. If you have nothing productive to say, go whine on some other thread. I planned on doing everything in a day or two then going in for a tune, but really when does it ever work out like that? I have to get to school everyday and work, so unfortunatly I have to drive my car but take it easy on it. This thread served a purpose for one thing- I've never driven a boosted honda and wanted to know what to expect when It was done. No need to flame, so maybe if you took that big **** out of your mouth this would actually get somewhere.

for the record I have a jdm single cam with 18k miles on it, tanabe hyper medallion catback. That doesn't change anything and make me look like a better person or you less of a ball touching dude kissing high five-in maniac. Dont talk to me like some ******* and tell me things I already know. We all can ask stupid questions here and there, this is mine.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow This is deff Sig Worthy also
Old 09-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yo Red CRX 89... GIMME MA MONEYY
Old 09-19-2009, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont really mind the lag too much, I just want to go fast...
Then keep your t3/t4 50 trim. It reaches maximum pressure rather quickly (even for a d15), and it wont run out of breath before the d15's stock redline (depending on what turbine housing you have).

Set a power goal for yourself (based on our injectors, because you'll be limited), get your DSM 450's, headstuds and head gasket in, get it chipped and tuned, and have fun.

[/THREAD]
Old 09-19-2009, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Silva Bullit DC4
Then keep your t3/t4 50 trim. It reaches maximum pressure rather quickly (even for a d15), and it wont run out of breath before the d15's stock redline (depending on what turbine housing you have).

Set a power goal for yourself (based on our injectors, because you'll be limited), get your DSM 450's, headstuds and head gasket in, get it chipped and tuned, and have fun.

[/THREAD]
Thank you SilviabullitDC4 for actually being the second person to give me worthwhile advice... been looking into a lot on options since I orginally posted this thread and found out what I'm going with. Getting my car street tuned on stock injectors and using an adjustable FPR to richen up my car when boost sets in. Keeping stock injectors for now, since I'm only running 7lbs on stock internals (want the 200 whp range) and buying another d series to begin my vitara/eagle set up where I can push more boost. saving the 450's for the right tune and stand alone
Old 09-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

saving the 450's for the right tune and stand alone
If I were you, I would not run those stock injectors, even if it IS a street tune on 7 psi. Install your 450's, you can always swap them when the Vitara motor is done.

And I sure hope you're tuning with some form of engine management RIGHT NOW, instead of an adjustable FPR alone.

Quick Reply: How stupid is this? Please Honda-tech, knock some sense into me