Notices

how reliable is your boosted vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how reliable is your boosted vehicle?

Hey, pple. I am just wondering what's the long time that a boosted honda was able to hold up for without needing a rebuild? I am looking for some promising number here. Please also post your setup, so everyone else can make use of that knowledge.

post away!!!
Old 04-02-2003, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how reliable is your boosted vehicle? (chusai)

my civic WAS reliable but it can't control ladies that don't stop at stop signs...

lol

as long as you don't push the boost over the limits of your internals, and your tuning is good, and your timing is good it can be VERY reliable

EDIT: sorry setup was a D16z6 Greddy turbo had about 20 k on it then tried 12 psi on stock internals on the black box still... lol i'm stupid and my ring lands went bye bye... so yeah .....

[Modified by KoRE, 6:25 AM 4/3/2003]
Old 04-02-2003, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The car and the engine itself was *fairly* reliable, that is until I got greedy and built the engine. It hasn't been reliable since.........go figure *shrugs*

[Modified by Speed PHreak, 1:35 AM 4/3/2003]
Old 04-02-2003, 09:40 PM

Default Re: how reliable is your boosted vehicle? (Speed PHreak)

that's kinda funny, since building your engine suppose to be more reliable under boost.

pple, show off your setup and brag about it.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:42 PM

mine burns oil
Old 04-02-2003, 09:55 PM

i've only been boosting since early jan 2003 but so far so good after the inital bugs and glitches were fixed (and after tuning ofcourse) so i can't really say anything yet about reliability... today the tank was almost on empty but i'm sure i could've squeezed a few more miles... i'm not sure what i was getting before but i got 300 miles for a full tank of gas on my accord... also boosting 8 psi daily...
Old 04-03-2003, 12:05 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: 99th level of hell, where all roads only go straight, where curves go to die. Houston Texas
Default Re: how reliable is your boosted vehicle? (accordexchange)

I can't seem to fix my gad damn oil leak.

otherwise, I'm around 300miles of boost, and no probls but oil leak.
Old 04-03-2003, 12:15 AM
New User

Default Re: how reliable is your boosted vehicle? (Snafu-Si)

Mine broke the rear motor mount at the track... Which broke the downpipe <yes, with a flex>, shook the oil filter screwdown loose, and more... On the street alone, it PROBABLY would have been nice n reliable, except the turbo, of course...

List of hates about my car now.

**** my alternator non battery charging piece of ****.
**** my oil filter screw thing backing out and leaking half a quart in 10 minutes of driving.
**** my old turbo that the previous cheapass bastard owner paid some local guy $100 to have rebuilt, then tell me it's just been rebuilt, and trade me for my "too big" 60 trim I should have put on my car in the first place.
**** feeling like I need to spend every extra penny I make on this piece of ****, never gunna run 11's no matter how much money I throw at it mother ******!!!!

Angst, anyone?

[Modified by SiR Kid, 3:58 AM 4/3/2003]
Old 04-03-2003, 03:22 AM

Default Re: how reliable is your boosted vehicle? (SiR Kid)

Going turbo is investing your money into a money pit. No matter what you did there will always be something to fix/upgrade. Get use to it because it never ends. When you think the car is runing ok something will pop up. Although it can be a real pain in the *** once everything is up and runing smoothly you forget about all that other ****. Still a damn money pit though
Old 04-03-2003, 05:27 AM

Default Re: how reliable is your boosted vehicle? (civicudesire)

this sounds bad.. hm... I may give up my set up
Old 04-03-2003, 05:44 AM

hehe I dont want to discourage you but its work to get it runing right. Once tuned with a good setup you just need to make sure you check plugs more often along with changing your oil.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how reliable is your boosted vehicle? (TurboDANDEE)

mine burns oil
mine stinks like burnt oil...
Old 04-03-2003, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: how reliable is your boosted vehicle? (CivicRyda2k)

Been in boost for 3 years now, I'm only on my second motor!
Old 04-03-2003, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how reliable is your boosted vehicle? (GITWIDIT)

hahahahaha....buy a beeeeeeeeeeeter!!
Old 04-03-2003, 06:55 AM

Default Re: how reliable is your boosted vehicle? (CivicRyda2k)

mine stinks like burnt oil...
Someone said in this forum a while ago, "That in cabin turbo smell."

Thats a classic.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how reliable is your boosted vehicle? (boostin b16)

Posting setups and stuff makes no sense because you can have the best of everything and still blow it up. Your only as good as your tuning. No knowledge means no motor. Run good high grade pump gas all the time and change plugs and oil regularly. If your looking for reliability only your common sense as a driver can answer that. All parts will last, its up to you as to how long that is.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:59 AM

Default Re: how reliable is your boosted vehicle? (MIKES)

I am not sure if setup makes no sense. Knowledge certainly plays an important part in the reliability issue, like how you drive it and how you maintain it. However the correct setup is a very important as well.

when I am talking reliability, I am looking about a motor lasting 3-4years. I think setup plays a major role in that.

[Modified by chusai, 12:59 PM 4/3/2003]
Old 04-03-2003, 09:09 AM

Default Re: how reliable is your boosted vehicle? (boostin b16)

hahahahaha....buy a beeeeeeeeeeeter!!
Word. Turbo is lots of fun when it's running right... just have a backup vehicle for when it's not.

I'm not saying that a turbo'ed vehicle can't be reliable, hell my daily driver is a D16Z6 with a greddy kit and VAFC hack, but things do go wrong... that install of that certain part you need WILL take longer than you expect, etc, etc. It WILL run pretty crappy most likely until you get it tuned. Eventually, you WILL break something. Gotta be prepared, if you can't be, then go N/A.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

after my install i have an oil leak that i can;t fix. my starter stuck on so i had to replace it. intown driving mpg is like 10 but highway is around 28-30.
car will sometimes get hot. sometimes i will get a vac leak but its been well worth the troubles. my busted *** looking car kills mustang GTs and i love the look i get when i smoke someone.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how reliable is your boosted vehicle? (KoRE)

my civic WAS reliable but it can't control ladies that don't stop at stop signs...
I feel you. I've spent more on fixing damage to my car inflicted by other people than on the car itself. I think it'd be reliable, but I keep having to sit around waiting for parts.

FYI, Speed PHreak's problem with reliability is due to the fact he spends more time working on cosmetic things (sticking his climate controls in the glove box for sleeper gauge installs, color coordinating his zip ties, etc) than actually tuning the vehicle. His setup isn't 100% upgraded to what the engine can handle, so there are little quirks as of yet. His problem isn't the built engine so much as everything bolted to it lol. It'll be an insane car soon.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:54 AM

Default Re: how reliable is your boosted vehicle? (J. Davis)

Right set-up, tuning and maintainance = good turbo
Old 04-03-2003, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

chusai- don't get believe the hype. Look at DIReps car. Completely stock non vtec motor with a turbokit (no blockgaurd, and stock rods and pistons untouched, including the head, cams and valve train) His car makes almost 300whp and is daily driven and he hasn't blown that up and he has been driving it for a long time now. Tuning is your answer. If you understand forced induction then you won't have a problem. Some people get greedy for more boost on pump gas and detonate and booom, its gone. Doesn't mean its not reliable. Its called operator error. Half these setups will last, ask the guys that blew them up thats truethful, and they will admit to pushing the limits of their setup or not knowing enough info about forced induction. Then explaining there story on the board for someone that knows whats going on to tell them what really happened. Then they say," ohh, I didn't know that". Aggresive timing, low octane gas, stock fuel system and high boost is what does it 90% of the time you here somone moaning about something.

[Modified by MIKES, 7:54 PM 4/3/2003]
Old 04-03-2003, 01:42 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: 99th level of hell, where all roads only go straight, where curves go to die. Houston Texas
Default Re: how reliable is your boosted vehicle? (MIKES)

It's a lot of work dont' expect it to be the good ole daily driver you once had. I have a Honda CR-V as a backup so I'm no ttoo worried. I baby my civic now that it has a turbo. I also avoid driving it on bad days.

bad days = rain, snow, or not sunny enough.

Having a beater is nice when you are putting in FI in your car.

I think next time, for my next car, it will either be fast enough without a turbo, or have a turbo to begin with.

Also, no more FWD for me, It's going to be RWD or AWD.

Just make sure you have a beater for that too!

I will always have a beater, I didn't USED to, but now that I DO have a beater... it's soooo damn convienent!!!
Old 04-03-2003, 03:01 PM

Default Re: how reliable is your boosted vehicle? (Snafu-Si)

hm.. as unrealistic as it may sound, I would only believe modifying the car if it can be daily driven. Maybe it's just me, it sounds kinda silly to put alot money into your car and have it run for 6 months, since I am not really building a race car here.

At this point, I have already acquired a turbo'd honda. It's too late for me to back out now. I guess I will try to get some help from some real expert (don't be offended, I know all you pple are expert, since I l have learnt alot from this forum) to tune the car, and make it streetable.

Therefore if you have anymore good tips in making a streetable boosted honda, that will run fine for at least 3 years, let me know. If I have to run 7psi with JE piston, I will do that

Good luck to the FI pple

[Modified by chusai, 7:02 PM 4/3/2003]
Old 04-03-2003, 03:18 PM

4 years and approximately 70,000 miles no problems cept for the damned map sensor but thats a problem everyone has and my trying to DIY a missing link has only been moderately successful. Guess I should pony up the 70 bucks for one.