Notices

How quickly does your z-10 catch can fill up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How quickly does your z-10 catch can fill up?

I installed the block fitting last week and finally drove the car on saturday. I left my house my catch can was empty. I drove about 40 mins to maple grove not beating on the car just crusing. I got there and did 5 runs. I go to do my six run and see oil dripping out of the front of my car. I pop the hood and there is oil everywhere. My catch can filled up and was over flowing through the filter.

I did not bring the quick release to drain the can so I had to stick a screw driver up there to drain it oil was everywhere on my hands, arm pants. Anyway did about 5 more runs and had to drain it again.

I know I have some blow by but should it be filling up this quick? I am thinking about taking that fitting back out and putting the stock fitting back in.

I have my catch can mounted behind my right headlight the only place I could get it to fit. I have it mounted as high as possible.

Any suggestions. TIA
Old 09-27-2004, 06:52 AM
TurboJesse

Default Re: How quickly does your z-10 catch can fill up? (underpressure02)

you used the modded fittings for the block and not the OEM honda parts correct?
Old 09-27-2004, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How quickly does your z-10 catch can fill up? (Mpir3)

I am only using one fitting for the block. It is the fitting I bought from z-10.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just thought of it, i wasnt with it at the track. Do you have a drainback hooked up ? if not i would. that will deff keep it from filling up like that. worse case scenario just like everyone elses it might just spew a little bit out the filter under a real HI Load pass. thats about it, the rest will drain back right away
Old 09-27-2004, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How quickly does your z-10 catch can fill up? (itr206)

what do you mean by a drain back? Like run another line into the oil pan for the oil and crap to go back into it?

I did not really see anything coming out after doing a hard pass. The only reason it came out was b/c the can got full I mean fill to the top and had no other place to go but out.

Gunked down my car yesterday and pressured washed all the oil off.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea, there is supposed to be a drain for the catch can. That's why you mount it as high as possible, so gravity will help it drain.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by underpressure02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what do you mean by a drain back? Like run another line into the oil pan for the oil and crap to go back into it?

I did not really see anything coming out after doing a hard pass. The only reason it came out was b/c the can got full I mean fill to the top and had no other place to go but out.

Gunked down my car yesterday and pressured washed all the oil off. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Drainback is recommended. Also, to do the drainback, you would need both fittings IMO.
What did your fittings look like: Which one of these? Did they have brass tubes coming out of the center of them (Sorry, I don't have time to find the pic I am thinking of)

Here is mine with the drainback (Endyn Setup)

If you want more on my setup, go here.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=870359

Lastly, the key is to have it mounted as high as possible like stated above!!

Good luck!
Old 09-27-2004, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How quickly does your z-10 catch can fill up? (m R g S r)

On the bottom of my catch can there is a quick release. So you are saying I should have the fitting in there with a tube draining back into my oil pan?
Old 09-27-2004, 08:23 AM
TurboJesse

Default Re: How quickly does your z-10 catch can fill up? (jerseykid609)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jerseykid609 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I hate to say it but welcome to the world of Catch can overflow hell. I think we are all trying to figure out a way to not get the can to fill instantly with the Z10 setup. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Does z10 mod the fittings? Here is a pic of my endyne one vs. the OEM part from honda. (With the OEM part the catch can will fill up VERY quickly)

(Notice the siphon tube on the endyne)
Old 09-27-2004, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How quickly does your z-10 catch can fill up? (jerseykid609)

Here is my delema. Do I take the fitting out and put the stock plug back in to avoid the can fill up? Or do I leave the fitting in bring my quick release piece this weekend and a lot of extra oil.

I think the fitting is working in the fact that I don't smoke coming out of my exhaust but it is also a pain to keep jacking the car up and draining the oil. Should be easier now with the quick release and not make such a mess.

What do you guys recommend?
Old 09-27-2004, 08:28 AM
TurboJesse

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by underpressure02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here is my delema. Do I take the fitting out and put the stock plug back in to avoid the can fill up? Or do I leave the fitting in bring my quick release piece this weekend and a lot of extra oil.

I think the fitting is working in the fact that I don't smoke coming out of my exhaust but it is also a pain to keep jacking the car up and draining the oil. Should be easier now with the quick release and not make such a mess.

What do you guys recommend?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Does your fitting look like the one on the left or the right? I had the same problems as you untill i ordered the actual fittings from endyne...then no problems.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you use the wquick release you will be wasting alot of oil . if you use the drain back it will recycle the oil per say that feeds into the can along with the fumes.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry must have posted when I was posting. Here is a pic of mine. But the back does not look like the endyne one.

Old 09-27-2004, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just get rid of it
Old 09-27-2004, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How quickly does your z-10 catch can fill up? (SiRkid)

even if it doesnt have the syphen , which it doesnt. cuz that looks like a reg NPT to AN fitting, wouldnt the drainback still help him . Who cares how much oil comes out with the fumes if the oil itself flows back into the motor?

like i said, worse case scenario is under a super hard load, youll get a little belch of oil out the filter, but for everyday driving and racing you should be fine
Old 09-27-2004, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How quickly does your z-10 catch can fill up? (SiRkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiRkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just get rid of it</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks why didn't I think of that first?
Old 09-27-2004, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does everyone who has the catch can fill up problem use the fitting to the RIGHT of the oil filter if you are under the car as in the pic above in this thread?

I have a feeling that is the problem, not the fitting, where that freeze plug is, is a main oil drain galley back to the oil pan. I talked to Z10 and they said use the freeze plug that is to the LEFT of the oil filter if you are under the car. It is MUCH harder to get to but shouldn't give you problems.

Old 09-27-2004, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How quickly does your z-10 catch can fill up? (mike1114)

this is what jim said in my other post when I asked what side i should put the fitting in.

Z-10 Catch Can questions? (underpressure02) « » 8:43 PM 9/17/2004 Reply Edit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Put the fitting in the right side vent chimney (the one closest to the flywheel) ,this will have the least amount of oil in it ,in an LS application,in a GSR this one has only air in it as the drivers side one is the rear oil drain. If you have any further questions ,please feel free to ask. Thanks
Old 09-27-2004, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How quickly does your z-10 catch can fill up? (itr206)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itr206 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">even if it doesnt have the syphen , which it doesnt. cuz that looks like a reg NPT to AN fitting, wouldnt the drainback still help him . Who cares how much oil comes out with the fumes if the oil itself flows back into the motor?

like i said, worse case scenario is under a super hard load, youll get a little belch of oil out the filter, but for everyday driving and racing you should be fine</TD></TR></TABLE>

Most of your problem is the fitting you were using. You still need the drainback. This will fix it for sure. Use both fittings like MPIR3 shows in his picture (the one I was thinking of ) and have the drainback drain to the passenger side fitting.

HTH
Old 09-27-2004, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How quickly does your z-10 catch can fill up? (ladysman)

this may sound dumb but if I put the drain back into the passenger side won't it just push oil up into the catch can? I know when I get off the throttle it will drain back but when I am running it hard won't it just be pushing the oil back up through the drain back?
Old 10-07-2004, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would like to hear more on this debate. I am in the process of doing the same setup as underpressure02 and his can was filling up very quickly this wekend! I am unsure of which port to use for the breather and which port for the return. Thanks

Phil
Old 11-03-2004, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How quickly does your z-10 catch can fill up? (hondaguyef)

I have this same problem when I was on the dyno. I did like 15 pulls on the dyno a few weeks ago and after I was done tuning my catch can was overfilled. It seems to only happen when I really beat on the car, meaning I rev it to redline numorous times.

Compression is 185 across the board, and I'm not burning any oil. So I figure it has to be all the crank case pressure that the car is seeing at such high rpm as well as the power it's making. I thought maybe I cracked a ring land or did some sort of damage, but in my experience the car would run like crap and white smoke would be coming out of the valve cover hole if something like that happened.

I don't use the drainback feature because I could not find a place to mount it high enough. I too might have to fabricate some sort of bracket to do so.

I also have my Valve cover nipple plumbed to the catchcan as well. I hope this problem is just due to insufficient crankcase ventilation or the way the catchcan is setup.

So is this a common problem for some people even with a good healthy engine? Or could something more severe be causing this. I would hope not since my car was tuned right off the bat.

I was also thinkin of doing the slash cut tube endyn has on their site. Welding a slash cut tube to my chargepipe and running that to my valve cover nipple.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How quickly does your z-10 catch can fill up? (BodyKits NW)

unhook the valve cover nipple from the catch can and run them to a seperate one like mine.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:42 PM

Default Re: How quickly does your z-10 catch can fill up? (BodyKits NW)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BodyKits NW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have this same problem when I was on the dyno. I did like 15 pulls on the dyno a few weeks ago and after I was done tuning my catch can was overfilled. It seems to only happen when I really beat on the car, meaning I rev it to redline numorous times.

Compression is 185 across the board, and I'm not burning any oil. So I figure it has to be all the crank case pressure that the car is seeing at such high rpm as well as the power it's making. I thought maybe I cracked a ring land or did some sort of damage, but in my experience the car would run like crap and white smoke would be coming out of the valve cover hole if something like that happened.

I don't use the drainback feature because I could not find a place to mount it high enough. I too might have to fabricate some sort of bracket to do so.

I also have my Valve cover nipple plumbed to the catchcan as well. I hope this problem is just due to insufficient crankcase ventilation or the way the catchcan is setup.

So is this a common problem for some people even with a good healthy engine? Or could something more severe be causing this. I would hope not since my car was tuned right off the bat.

I was also thinkin of doing the slash cut tube endyn has on their site. Welding a slash cut tube to my chargepipe and running that to my valve cover nipple. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Mine Z10 catch can pukes all the time, but it will drip oil and the can will not even
be half full. This is from the oil vapor collecting so I'm thinking of making some
type of internal baffle and hooking up the drain back. My catch can is as high as
you can't mount one under the hood and it still happens. It's annoying but I'm
gonna figure something out. Here is a shitty pic, you can see the filter and yes
it misses the hood (barely).

Old 11-04-2004, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How quickly does your z-10 catch can fill up? (Mikes01GSR)

Thanks, guys.

Quick Reply: How quickly does your z-10 catch can fill up?