Notices

How Often Is your Car Broken (Boost Related)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Often Is your Car Broken (Boost Related)

Im basically in a throw up right now between going 16psi turbo, or going 150 shot.

Just want to know the reliability of a turbo car.

If I do go boost, Im young and stupid, I wont be able to trouble shoot **** myself and theres no performance shops anywhere in my area. Especially when I first install itll be a new motor and timing, injectors, wastegate setting and all that jazz I just dont think I could do it. And if its gonna break every week and Im gonna be scared to have fun with my car then its not worth it. I also dont have a huge budget like some of you guys seem to have, Im saving for college and wanna keep it under $3000 and dont wanna spend $300/week for maintenance and then blow the motor in 3 months

I know there isnt **** on my town to race nor anybody with swaps or any good work. So right now Im with the nitrous as the car will be a dick of a lot faster and I can afford to upgrade the suspension an get an LSD
Old 12-20-2004, 10:12 AM

Default Re: How Often Is your Car Broken (1 Cam Wonder)

I've had my car turbo'd for a lil over a year in a half and haven't ahd any problems knock on wood.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How Often Is your Car Broken (FOrSfEd)

nothing for 23,000 miles
Old 12-20-2004, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How Often Is your Car Broken (FOrSfEd)

I once had a motor that I ran a 200 shot on. Yeah it was fast and only burnt or melted valves every now and then, but refilling nitrous sux. I have a turbo motor now and there is always something breaking. Not necessarily motor parts, but other stupid **** all the time. Maybe I'm just cursed or something.

I prefer the turbo motor tho, hell of alot more fun!
Old 12-20-2004, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would definantely go boost. Its nice always having the power when you need it. The only major problems i've had so far with boosting is that my car blows headgaskets like nothing. I've been through 3 headgaskets since the beginning of summer. This is more than likely a problem with my block though. A bunch of people have no problems at all. Plus boosting your car will be a great learning experience. Changing headgaskets has taught me a lot about my car anyways
Old 12-20-2004, 10:31 AM

Default Re: How Often Is your Car Broken (SOHC_MShue)

Im 18 guys. I have no friends that no a thing about a car or has Turbo Honda's caught on in Ontario

Like even the initial install of the built motor, MSD 6 BTM, wideband and just getting the turbo going will most likely take me 2 weeks, and theres no ******* way Im wasting every weekend changing headgasket or swapping out motors because Im frying rings

The car is a DD and I work a night shift.

Like the speed difference on N20 -> Boost will be huge, but ya, it wont always be there and I like having my fun, and how fast honestly is a 150 shot gonna rip through a 10lb bottle..... But I also dont wanna be stranded on the road.....

Not to mention, tuning the nitrous is pretty dam easy and N/A Id still have some descent power with all the work and the higher comp pistons.....
Old 12-20-2004, 10:34 AM
Banned

just make sure you are not turboing your only car. that is a very bad, bad idea. cause wether you like it or not, there will be problems, and things will break, much more often than if you never messed with it in the first place.
so is it worth it???

HELL MOTHERFUCKING YEA!!!!!!!
Old 12-20-2004, 10:39 AM

Default Re: How Often Is your Car Broken (Burke)

yup, only car. No way I could afford a beater nor the insurance on the $13/hour Im working with
Old 12-20-2004, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm 18 too and to be honest i didn't know **** about cars when i first got mine back when i was 16. You should have seen how long it took me and my dad to install a cold air intake
Old 12-20-2004, 11:01 AM

few problems, with mine, nothing 2 crazy, im on my 2ed turbo tho

run a filter that is tight
Old 12-20-2004, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im 20.. Yet jobless. I managed to pulled off my *** and learn TURBO. READ READ READ! Now been 7+ months with the turbo running, self Tuned (uberdata), maintainence, self install, Custom Kit done all by me with NO HELP!! no prior experience or prior knowledge of a turbo!... I cant say more then im damn impressed with myself.

Like the other guy mention of the cold air intake install.. 7+ months ago, I didnt know ANYTHING of turbo! even didnt know how to change my damn oil..!!
Old 12-20-2004, 11:09 AM
Banned

Default Re: How Often Is your Car Broken (synik)

also where are you located??
Old 12-20-2004, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

damn you learned how to work on cars fast
Old 12-20-2004, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

a honda motor is going to take 150 shot for too long, but if boosted wrong it wont last either.

Either way, fast doesnt go along with reliability.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How Often Is your Car Broken (StolenTeg)

Some of you running boost as daily drivers, and are worried about things breaking should just run a dual stage boost controller, so you can run low boost when you drive it every day...
Old 12-20-2004, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you do it the right way, it will be reliable

take my instances
using regular hose clamps, home depot rubber hosing, mismatched piping sizes...improper hardware. maks things fall off and come loose.

Old 12-20-2004, 11:44 AM

Default Re: How Often Is your Car Broken (631 Teggy)

fast
cheap
reliable

pick only two...

I had a 75 shot, and it was fun, but refilling bottles is A LOT more annoying than you'd think. Plus, 10 refills would have cost you $300, vs boosting your car everyday for free !!

Unless its a BAD *** all-motor honda, your going to want to spray it A LOT. Mine ran 18.1 on the motor and 15.1 on the 75 shot !!! I'll never drive a N/A civic again !!

low compression turbo car ownz. But your still going to break axles, trannys, and other BS with a turbo or nitrous...

You need to buy a 1991 geo metro for a daily/beater... I have 5 cars.... I'm 22.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:49 AM

Default Re: How Often Is your Car Broken (631 Teggy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 631 Teggy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Some of you running boost as daily drivers, and are worried about things breaking should just run a dual stage boost controller, so you can run low boost when you drive it every day...</TD></TR></TABLE>

i run high boost dayily driver on a stock motor

12 psi on a y7 it's still slow and smoking black, ringlands whats that hahaha
Old 12-20-2004, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't turbo your car. I was going to school full time at one point in my life. I raced my 1st talon and blew the tranny. Then after that broke and I fixed it, I blew my 1st motor. I didnt have a car to use at the time because my mom wouldn't put me on her insurance. So I came up with the idea of dropping some classes and working full time, just to get my car running. By the way, later I had to stop school all together. I am now one of those people that say im going to go back later. The money I saved went into parts that could make me run 11s. I finally got some common since after my girl said I need something to drive everyday. So I sold everything and got another dsm. I lived off the rest of the money. I installed a boost contoller, a fuel pump, and s-afc and I had a 13 second car for less than 1000 dollars including the car. I sold that car and got a 2g talon which I kept stock untill, I sold it to make way for my current car. If you want a fast car, you might want to wait untill you can afford one. Now that I put my current talon back together, I rarly drive it at all. I also dont see myself making more then 350 awhp but it feels strong at 25 pounds tho. Turbo cars are one of the hardest cars to drive every day because the power is always there. No one adds power to their cars not to feel it.

Modified by rhamlinii at 2:54 PM 12/20/2004
Old 12-20-2004, 12:18 PM

a good preparation of the setup and a good maintenance is the key. If you plan to turbocharge your Honda, be ready to do some mechanic. Do it right the first time will really help the reliability of your car...

I never broke anything serious but I prefer do a maintenance more often thatn blew my engine...
Old 12-20-2004, 12:22 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

1st Turbo. 65,000 miles. 2.5 years, not one issue

2.nd turbo (with higher build for more power) 1.4 years, 30,000 miles.'

You do it right the first time, you''ll be fine for life.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:33 PM

Default Re: How Often Is your Car Broken (TheShodan)

heh. I can't remember the last time my car was on the road for more than a month
Old 12-20-2004, 12:48 PM
12 Years Strong

Default Re: How Often Is your Car Broken (BoostedJeff)

Every time mine has broken it is because of my being negligent about something
Old 12-20-2004, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How Often Is your Car Broken (BoostedJeff)

plain and simple, if money is an issue and you cant afford upkeep , then turbo nor nitrous isnt for you.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:55 PM
12 Years Strong

Default Re: How Often Is your Car Broken (itr206)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itr206 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">plain and simple, if money is an issue and you cant afford upkeep , then turbo nor nitrous isnt for you. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree with that, you got to pay to play

Quick Reply: How Often Is your Car Broken (Boost Related)