Notices

How much weight can you take out of a DA

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much weight can you take out of a DA

I had this in the integra forum but not 1 person replied....The car is a built turbo car and want to shave more time off

Hey everyone.Ive had my da for about 3 years now and im starting to get more into racing at the track...The car has went 11.7 @124mph, I still need alot of seat time obviously its turbo'd...But the car weighs about 2500 with me in it...still full body car...I bought a crx with the intention's to put my motor in there to race being it was lighter...But now when winter is starting to come around and the switch is going to happen I dont want to..My da was my first car and all my progress cant stop..I just wanted to see what some of you guys got your weight down to? I still drive the car on the streets I just want to take out things i dont need
Old 10-01-2008, 01:26 PM

Default Re: How much weight can you take out of a DA (tegman23)

what all do you have out of it right now? cause at least you can take out spare tire, jack, backseats and carpet if you want
Old 10-01-2008, 02:07 PM

get creative, theres a guy her in jacksonville that has a b16 crx. its almost stock but its one of the fastest around because it only weighs about 1600lbs with driver. hes cut the floor pans out and the whole trunk and replaced it with thin sheets of aluminum. the car is gutted as [freak] and is not a daily but if you want speed thats the compromise you make. the car launches like crazy too.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have spare tire out and jack. the a/c compresser is out because of the turbo...but everything under the dash is stock..I would like to get the car down to about 2300 with me in it but i think 200lbs is alot to lose
Old 10-01-2008, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tegman23)

See what the rear hatch and glass weigh along with the side quarters as some lexan could be beneficial.The bumper re bars weigh a little bit each as well and then there is the rest of the AC components,rear wiper motor etc if you have one.The whole heater core and components could go if you can live without heat.200lbs is a fair amount to lose its gonna come down to how you define a street car.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (90dxhmt)

I've done a few things as far as wieght savings to my car:
I took out the heater core
removed the PS, and A/C(all of it's components!!)
rear window is FAL(lightweight)
removed rear wiper motor
moved battery to the trunk..smaller battery
front crossmember, replaced with a Z10(lighter and stronger)
rear seats removed(lost maybe 15lbs from this)
carbon fiber hood(weighs about 10 lbs or less)
removed all cruise control. oh yeah, non ABS so didn't have to deal with that
front wipers and motor
rear LCA (about 2.5lbs)
Half size radiator......
I think that's about it.

what else can taken out or lightened:
carbon fiber moonroof plug
gutted doors(DA doors are sooooo heavy!!!)
carpet and tar
lighter seats
replaced fuel tank with fuel cell.......

it's pretty much on you how far you wanna take it. I would like to get my car weighed but don't know where to take it. what all have you done so far?
Old 10-02-2008, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think his thing says that he is in canada...no heat would be a problem for me if living there...hell no heat here in tennessee is a problem for me
Old 10-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92VXeg)

I got nearly 450 lbs out of my eg sedan, and still drive it on the street on the regular, stock floor.
Wieghs 2080 on track day.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was thinking about doing lexan in the rear...I have full interior just the trunk is empty... I live in pa...i want to keep heat im thinking just some of the nights coming back from the track it gets a little cold and i need defrost....Im going to be putting a roll cage in witch is going to add weight but im getting close to needing one and im sure will need one next year...
Old 10-02-2008, 08:13 PM

Default Re: (tegman23)

I have the heaviest DA (gsr). I have removed: oem spoiler, front rebar, cut down rear rebar to where it's just enough to hold the bumper on, rear wiper assembly, abs, a/c, p/s, cruise. Haven't had a chance to weigh it yet. Getting rid of the sunroof will save about 40lbs and lower the centre of gravity. Also a lighter flywheel will save you about 18lbs of sprung and unsprung weight. Lightweight wheels help a lot too.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (bnorth)

I would have asked in the DRAG forum first. I would take a guess most guys there do the most extreme things to save weight, such as swapping to a solid rear axle. If it can be done, I'm sure they've done it and more.

BWT CRX's are for people with no ingenuity...
Old 10-03-2008, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lexan2.2sedan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lexan2.2sedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I got nearly 450 lbs out of my eg sedan, and still drive it on the street on the regular, stock floor.
Wieghs 2080 on track day.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whats going on man, I saw u at that lil honda meet by home depot off richmond rd.

I was in the frost white topmount turbod dc2 w bronze te37s
Old 10-03-2008, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boosted_B_Series)

My 90 Integra weighed 2250 with no AC or PS (still had everything under the dash), gutted trunk (no spare or jack), jdm 1 piece lights (a bit lighter than original headlights), no rear seat belts, 8 1/2lb wheels, half size radiator and a b20 swap.

I've removed all of the AC stuff under the dash now, put a jdm bumper support which is lighter and a few more things. I was hoping to get it under 2200. I like to remove as much weight as possible while keeping my rear seats and interior panels. It doesnt mean that stuff behind them isnt removed

Modified by Kevin at 2:11 PM 10/3/2008
Old 10-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kevin)

remove sound deadening, delete wires that arent used (everylittle bit helps) Get lighter aftermarket seats (oems are heavy). Go on a diet .
Old 10-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boosted Chemist)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boosted Chemist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Go on a diet . </TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL I only weigh 160
Old 01-01-2009, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much weight can you take out of a DA

start with unspring weight and get lighter wheels.
lexan rear window with cf hatch.
cf hood. remove ps, ac.
remove rear seat.
remove speakers, remove stereo. (power inverter and cassette player, tape adapter+mp3 player ftw)
remove power windows and locks.
remove power sunroof setup, plug with cf.
remove mudflaps and excess covers and panels you dont need.
remove abs and srs systems.
remove your carpet and get some password JDM floor panels.
new seat and steering wheel.
replacing solid steel parts with aluminum can save you some weight easy, like strut tower brace etc.
replace your door panels with flat, cf panels w/o armrests.
get armrest delete center console.
remove your power mirrors and replace with smaller, lighter racing mirrors or deletes.
remove cruise control.

sell your old parts to fund the new parts though. if you find sheets of carbon fiber for decent price you can do your door panels and airbag delete yourself just get a rivet gun and be creative.

i personally cannot remove things without doing it cleanly and completely. if i remove rear wiper, i have to shave the rear sprayer and replace the switch with a sedan switch w/o rear wiper, remove motor etc. if i remove stereo, i have to plug the hole. if i remove carpets, armrests etc, i want it to look clean.

Im planning on eventually building up a DC2 RS model into a track car since it lacks a lot of things id have to remove.

litte **** adds up. if you count it all up and at the end do a total youll be like Woah!

Last edited by mattyrocks785; 01-01-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my da weights 2250 without me in it, i weigh 160s.. i havent weighed it since i gutted it more(roof liner, 3 speakers, wiper motors and all plastics in side other than door panels.

you run that 11.7 with hat 270 whp?
Old 01-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that would be 371 whp. go back and read.... I have my DA pretty light and I been thinking to take more weight off but I cannot launch for nothing(need more seat time). 1st off I am making 340WHP on a LS running 24.5 MT slicks. I am bogging sometimes off the line. when I don't bog, I run a low 13. I know there's room to improve, but should I be looking for more weight reduction? oh yeah, I am using my heavy 17" tenzo R rims on the rear. I have OG GSR fat fives so I am planning to use those on the rear next time and of course my bogarts on the front.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

last time I weighed my DA it weighed 2440 without me in the car, and 2600 with me in the car. My car has no spare tire, no AC/PS, aftermarket traction bar, LCA's. It's a RS model so no power options or moonroof.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow yal are getting some light Da's my car tipped the scaled at 2570 with me in it and at the time i weighted about 220. so my car with out driver weights in about 2350. i have a 91 Rs with no ac, full ps delete, gutted trunk, 1-peices, removed misc brackets and panels not needed in the engine bay and interior, stock dash, small civic battery, etc, the next few things im going to do are trim and hole cut the front and rear bumper supports.

i do know that you can lose about 50 right off the top with replaceing the rear hatch glass with lexan.
im looking to get my Da down into the 22++ area.

Last edited by projectTeG; 01-03-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by projectTeG
wow yal are getting some light Da's my car tipped the scaled at 2570 with me in it and at the time i weighted about 220. so my car with out drive weights in about 2350. i have a 91 Rs with no ac, full ps delete, gutted trunk, 1-peices, removed misc brackets and panels not needed in the engine bay and interior, stock dash, small civic battery, etc, the next few things im going to do are trim and hole cut the front and rear bumper supports.

i do know that you can lose about 50 right off the top with replaceing the rear hatch glass with lexan.
im looking to get my Da down into the 22++ area.
no ac, lines and related hardware under hood
no ps and lines, cut near fire wall
slim fan
cut wires for stock fans and AC unit
emissions removed
gutted rear
no wiper motors
no roof liner
no a pillar plastics
sound deading removed
short exhaust
and some other stuff

got me around 2250
Old 01-03-2009, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

JJ... get the car to move outta the hole! :p Don't worry... we'll get through 2009 together with our shitty launches.. hahaha

Is Beaver still going to be around next year? I heard from Jason that they lost their NHRA sponsorship or something, and it'll be hard to foot the bill to insure the vehicles.

Originally Posted by projectTeG
so my car with out drive weights in about 2350.
Damn, I think my hatch weighs that with me in it with only the spare tire out. I didn't realize DA's were this heavy.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Honda Bull

Damn, I think my hatch weighs that with me in it with only the spare tire out. I didn't realize DA's were this heavy.

yea they are pretty heavy, but most are heavier. integras just weight more than civics. civics most of the time have smaller parts on them.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Honda Bull
JJ... get the car to move outta the hole! :p Don't worry... we'll get through 2009 together with our shitty launches.. hahaha

Is Beaver still going to be around next year? I heard from Jason that they lost their NHRA sponsorship or something, and it'll be hard to foot the bill to insure the vehicles.

Man I made this thread like 3 months ago, somone must of dug it up....Ya quick I think we need to get lessons on launching, My 1.9s are not going to cut if for me...I do need bigger slicks though, 370whp and 22in slicks do not work, I should have 24.5-25's next year...With the new block I have to get my 60's down to cut some good times :0....

And yea Da are kinda heavy like I said mines 2500lbs with me in it full interior..(radio,ps,ext)

Im not sure about beaver, I heard that they need to work on the track to get there certificate back..Doesnt really matter to me I go to Numidia..Only go to Beaver when you guys go or Numidia has an event
Old 01-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tegman23
Man I made this thread like 3 months ago, somone must of dug it up....Ya quick I think we need to get lessons on launching, My 1.9s are not going to cut if for me...I do need bigger slicks though, 370whp and 22in slicks do not work, I should have 24.5-25's next year...With the new block I have to get my 60's down to cut some good times :0....
If it makes you feel any better, my first time out on radials, I cut better 60's than any 60' I managed for the 15-20 passes on the 22" slicks. I only got two runs on the 24.5" so far, but the second run I took a .100 off so I'm just glad to finally see a response and correlation between the launch and the time for once. lol I think I just need to be harder on the car to be honest.

Quick Reply: How much weight can you take out of a DA