Notices

How much power with off the shelf Wiseco's?

Old 11-07-2008, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much power with off the shelf Wiseco's?

I am wondering what other peoples power levels are on off the shelf Wiseco Pistons? I have read in the past that the wrist pins are weak and the pistons themselves are weak in the wrist pin area. I am making close to 600whp now and was going to shoot for 750whp next year but my pistons have me worried. TIA
Old 11-07-2008, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What evidence do you have other then hear say that they are weak?

Usually its an issue with the tune or machining that makes something like a piston fail.

Why not use CPs?
Old 11-07-2008, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

pistons are made equal to each other these days, RODS are not however and those are what break before pistons. your wisecos are fine so dont worry about them
Old 11-07-2008, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tony413)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony413 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pistons are made equal to each other these days, RODS are not however and those are what break before pistons. your wisecos are fine so dont worry about them </TD></TR></TABLE>

then why do they sell upgraded wrist pins and such for these? I dont remember who it was but I think it was T1 a while back had a customers car break the Wiseco's in the same area I am refering to, and I read something on Evans site last night about having to upgrade the pins after 700whp, this is why I am asking.

I am worried about it, I dont want to trash my motor and possible my $2k+ head if by some chance I break a wrist pin at 10k rpm/700+whp
Old 11-07-2008, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really? Have you ever looked at a factory Wiseco piston skirt design and looked at a CP piston? There is significantly more material on the CP piston compared to the Wiseco. I just had a customers engine fail due to the wrist pin breaking off of the piston skirt and trashing the entire engine, and we were around 650whp level. I have never seen something like it happen before, and when asking around to some other tuners apparently its happen to others.

If you compared Endyn Wiseco pistons rated for a turbo application to the shelf Wiseco stuff, there is a significant difference in piston design.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boosted hybrid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Really? Have you ever looked at a factory Wiseco piston skirt design and looked at a CP piston? There is significantly more material on the CP piston compared to the Wiseco. I just had a customers engine fail due to the wrist pin breaking off of the piston skirt and trashing the entire engine, and we were around 650whp level. I have never seen something like it happen before, and when asking around to some other tuners apparently its happen to others.

If you compared Endyn Wiseco pistons rated for a turbo application to the shelf Wiseco stuff, there is a significant difference in piston design. </TD></TR></TABLE>

guess I will be 84 or 85mm when I come back for that re-tune

What company do you recommend for a custom piston? I am +.016 out of the hole now, I figure after another small cut I will be +.020 so at that point I might as well order a custom shorter piston.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (96 GSR-T)

CP has the fastest turn around times that i have used on custom pistons, usually 3-4 weeks depending on the dealer. Upgraded pins are 100.00 additional with the CPs as well, depending on dealer. Worth the money having the piece of mind.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same story here, cracked the wiseco's a little over 600whp and the JE's and CP's are MUCH thicker in that area.

To say they are all the same is just ignorance.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tony1)

im at 845hp with shelf wiseco's...with upgraded pins

got the broke mans setup.. wiseco's and eagles..lol

i have a complete back up motor so im not too worried.. going on 3 years of the same setup
Old 11-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (.CUBISH.)

CP's are an even better deal since they fixed them, erm, I mean 'upgraded' them. Basicly they started cutting the valve relief sides (others have done so for years) not long after a disproportionate amount of people had issues. The official cause was oil leakage causing heat, which started at the paper-thin spots around the reliefs. All official sources claimed the upgrade & melting issues were not related. And smoking doesn't cause cancer either.

Regardless, CP's average $50-100 more per set than Wisecos, so I guess the saying 'you get what you pay for' is holding up well, especially with CP's not melting anymore. BTW the indepentant studies/compairisons I've seen consistantly showed Wiseco's as having the best skirt profile regarding consistancy & taper. I can't say much for CP's since the studies didn't include them.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Man U FTW

I'm still learning about the differences between the various manufacturers, but i have a bit of an off-topic question: How do Arias pistons stack up with the likes of CP and other acclaimed brands?
Old 11-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wonder how much of a factor the piston to wall clearance is in these Wiseco's breaking, since they are thinner in the skirt area possibly excessive slap may cause premature failure.........
Old 11-07-2008, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was also wondering on these manufacturers, and i too have heard wiseco's kinda suck. heard good from cp and je/srp.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:14 PM
E-thug

Default Re: (96 GSR-T)

Originally Posted by 96 GSR-T
I wonder how much of a factor the piston to wall clearance is in these Wiseco's breaking, since they are thinner in the skirt area possibly excessive slap may cause premature failure.........
I believe on my motor that broke the weisco, the PTW clearance was .0045? Weisco recommends .0035 if I am not mistaken. I don't think Tony ever figured out if the piston to wall contact was from the tolerance being too tight or from the skirt breaking. Just to be sure on my next motor he went even bigger on the PTW and switched to a JE piston. No problems so far...
Old 11-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostismycrack)

interesting
Old 11-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boosted hybrid
Really? Have you ever looked at a factory Wiseco piston skirt design and looked at a CP piston? There is significantly more material on the CP piston compared to the Wiseco. I just had a customers engine fail due to the wrist pin breaking off of the piston skirt and trashing the entire engine, and we were around 650whp level. I have never seen something like it happen before, and when asking around to some other tuners apparently its happen to others.

If you compared Endyn Wiseco pistons rated for a turbo application to the shelf Wiseco stuff, there is a significant difference in piston design.
im going to say that wiseco relies more on there coating than adding extra material to the area you are talking about. i agree that endyn wisecos are better than off the shelf wisecos but so are IB wisecos. i guess it depends on where you buy them i guess. I have yet to see a wiseco fail, however i have seen the older CP's kill valves so now i wun either arias or wiseco. do you have any pics of the broken wiseco's ?
Old 11-08-2008, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Coating is not going to make the wrist pin area in the piston stronger. There is at least double the material in the "boxed" section on the CPs compared to the shelf Wisecos. That is where the piston broke. I really like the shelf wiseco stuff for your average 400-500whp street engine.

I have yet to have experienced any of the issues that people were claiming with the CPs. Not to say that it did not happen, but i have used them in pretty much all our builds at the shop with good success. What bore size/compression or shelf part number did this happen on with the CPs? I usually use the 83mm and 84mm 9:1s.

If my customer snaps some pics I'll host them of the where the piston broke. He is already tearing the car apart to get the engine rebuilt. I would just hate to see someone else go through the same situation as him. Huge waste of money, and the engine never even made it off of the dyno.