Notices

How much HP or Pressure can a B18C1 stock sleeve hold?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2001, 02:46 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much HP or Pressure can a B18C1 stock sleeve hold?

Just wondering if anyone made over 400HP with stock sleeve without cracking it. I have been told not to go over 400HP and I think I will boost over that amount. I do have JEpiston 9:1 comp. stock bore with Crower rods in a brand new block from the factory. It also have Nuformz block guard and Total seal piston rings. Stock head with HKS standard Headgasket with ARP head studs.
Old 12-23-2001, 03:14 PM
New User

Default Re: How much HP or Pressure can a B18C1 stock sleeve hold? ([Evo]Hybrid)

BTW, anyone have experience with SFP Manifold? I would like to know if it crack even they have warrenty.
Old 12-23-2001, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much HP or Pressure can a B18C1 stock sleeve hold? ([Evo]Hybrid)

Not really a good reference, but in the Honda Builders guide they built a b18c, and it pushed 477hp@17psi......they didn't mention any form of block guard or sleeving.

It seems most people with standalone ECU's don't go over 15psi on the stock sleeves.

Old 12-23-2001, 03:24 PM
New User

Default Re: How much HP or Pressure can a B18C1 stock sleeve hold? (HXMan)

well, the problem is I will turn up the boost more than 20psi with standalone and the only thing left out is resleeving the block with dartan or golden eagle. I must say I'm running out of funds soon I need to save every penny that I have to strengh the Transmission. $1300 just went out last week for a new ball bearing snail. Now I need a manifold since I sold my drag. I have a brand new drag manifold, anyone wanna buy it?
Old 12-23-2001, 03:25 PM
New User

Just wondering if anyone made over 400HP with stock sleeve without cracking it. I have been told not to go over 400HP and I think I will boost over that amount. I do have JEpiston 9:1 comp. stock bore with Crower rods in a brand new block from the factory. It also have Nuformz block guard and Total seal piston rings. Stock head with HKS standard Headgasket with ARP head studs.

both b16's and b18c1's have been over 400 to the wheels on a standalone and race fuel. my new block has stock sleeving and i'm going for 450+.
Old 12-23-2001, 03:31 PM
New User

Default Re: How much HP or Pressure can a B18C1 stock sleeve hold? (jinxproof99)

with the pressure over 400HP, you know there is a possibility of cracking. I really don't feel like buying a new block. But then, sometimes , there is miracle.
Old 12-23-2001, 03:56 PM
New User

with the pressure over 400HP, you know there is a possibility of cracking. I really don't feel like buying a new block. But then, sometimes , there is miracle.
realistically, if you want your motor to last you won't want to be making 400+ on stock sleeves. it has been done, but not for extended periods. i will say that you can make 350 last a few years though. that has and continues to be done.
Old 12-23-2001, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much HP or Pressure can a B18C1 stock sleeve hold? (HXMan)

I have an SFP manifold but havent had it for long less than 6 mos. They say they have yet to have a customer complain about them cracking. Good manifold. Good company. I recommend.
Old 12-23-2001, 05:36 PM
New User

Default Re: How much HP or Pressure can a B18C1 stock sleeve hold? (SO3Burner)

thanx to all for the info.
Old 12-23-2001, 07:29 PM
New User

may be a dumb question but this applies to the b18b sleeves too right? Or are they different. I want to push the limits too! 350 horsepower to the wheels sounds nice!
Old 12-23-2001, 07:53 PM

the shop i go to, unorthodox racing, recommended a procedure...i don't know what it's called, but they put a wax mold outside the sleeves and pour some sort of aluminum compound down there which bonds with the metal. then they drill holes in it for coolant flow. when the block gets machined and cleaned up the wax melts out and voila...instant reinforced block. they have a guy somewhere pushing 500+ horsepower using this setup. its also cheap...only about 200 i think. if you want more details let me know...
Old 12-23-2001, 10:22 PM
New User

Default Re: How much HP or Pressure can a B18C1 stock sleeve hold? (downpipe)

That's interesting, tell me more. I thought unorthodox is just a manufacture, I guess they do work on motors.
Old 12-23-2001, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's all about the tuning. You can boost 20 lbs safely if everything STAYS perfect. But it never does. I caught a couple of gallons of bad race gas and ADIOS. It wouldn't have happened with a sleaved block and I have one now. Your block guard is worthless to help the strength. 20+ lbs actually baloons the cylinder below the guard. It will suck oil at that point and detonate. You spent big bucks but don't waste it for the lack of strong cylinders.
Old 12-23-2001, 10:30 PM
New User

Default Re: How much HP or Pressure can a B18C1 stock sleeve hold? (earl)

But even tune the engine to the perfection, isn't the pressure in the cylinder expands so much under high boost and soon gives in? Pressure is pressure, regardless if detonation is excluded.
Old 12-23-2001, 10:33 PM
New User

I'm just looking at the limit of the stock sleeves. I agree totally with you on the block guard, I had it put in since it wasn't expensive at the time.
Old 12-24-2001, 07:17 AM
New User

on stock sleeves for reliability I wouldn't go over 14-15 lbs. do it right spend the xtra money and get it sleeved.
Old 12-24-2001, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much HP or Pressure can a B18C1 stock sleeve hold? (FAST94GSR)

I agree...HEY What's my wife doing in your avatar?
Old 12-24-2001, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, right now I wish I had gone with the sleeves, it's the only thing holding the block from 400+ whp. If I were to do it all over again, I'd go Nissan SR20DET
Old 12-24-2001, 08:49 AM

That's interesting, tell me more. I thought unorthodox is just a manufacture, I guess they do work on motors.
they have a shop as well...done a bunch of work on my car. right now they are in the process of relocating to a larger facility. their opinion is that resleeving is a bit overkill unless you are running insane mounts of boost. they have a customer running 500+ hp using that block reinforcing method i mentioned before. i've had their pulleys, cam gears, clutch and flywheel on my car for almost 2 years. the craftsmanship of their products is excellent and they do good work, too. the only problem is they are too busy trying to run a shop and manufacture all the other stuff at the same time. there will be a larger staff and more options (i think they are going to have a guy who does roll cages) at the new facility which is opening up early january. i highly recommend their products. check out http://www.unorthodoxracing.com. my car will be on the website once it's finished, too.

[Modified by downpipe, 9:49 AM 12/24/2001]
Old 12-24-2001, 02:36 PM
New User

Default Re: How much HP or Pressure can a B18C1 stock sleeve hold? (downpipe)

Hum...I have been boosting at 1 bar for more than four month now street driven. Maybe total seal ring is really helping it.
Let me call unorthodox racing for some of their opinions. Thanx.
Old 12-25-2001, 06:14 AM

But even tune the engine to the perfection, isn't the pressure in the cylinder expands so much under high boost and soon gives in? Pressure is pressure, regardless if detonation is excluded.
the amount that cylinder pressure rises during detonation can't be compared to pressures running even a very healthy amount of boost. i read it somewhere once but i forget. it goes up astronomically.....
Old 12-28-2001, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hum...I have been boosting at 1 bar for more than four month now street driven. Maybe total seal ring is really helping it.
What the hell would your total seal rings have to do with your ability to boost 1bar for more than four months?
Old 12-28-2001, 05:12 PM

Hasnt anyone here pinned their block?
Old 12-28-2001, 05:24 PM
Banned

Default Re: How much HP or Pressure can a B18C1 stock sleeve hold? (Jared)

What the hell would your total seal rings have to do with your ability to boost 1bar for more than four months?

rings play an important role in your cars motor. all i've ever heard was total seal rings sucked but, who knows. rumors get started really easy on the internet.
Old 12-29-2001, 09:35 AM
New User

Default Re: How much HP or Pressure can a B18C1 stock sleeve hold? (immortal)

What I meant was the during compressing up and down under high boost with pump gas, Really detonation is one thing but expansion of the sleeves is another. Even with race gas, the huge amount of pressure within the cylinder could cause failure. So, there is a limit of the stock sleeves or cylinder can hold under pressure assume tuning is perfect. So...the limit is.....don't know....

I have not heard of anything bad about Total seal ring, at least not around my area. I installed them myself and find it pretty good. Seems like even during expansion, the ring have more ability to move out as with the cylinders. (hard to explain.) They have a very tight ring spec and hold compression very well. anyone have any bad comment about them, i would like to know about it.

I use pump gas from Texeco station 93 octane everyday and boost at 1bar. I dont' push the car like every minute, maybe two three times a day. I have heard a ping or feel any thing is wrong. Car pull fast except I put in some track provided shitty race gas and made the car weird. Now i'm just fixing oilpan gasket leak.

Quick Reply: How much HP or Pressure can a B18C1 stock sleeve hold?