Notices

how much did you spend on custom turbo kit VS drag, greddy, revhard, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much did you spend on custom turbo kit VS drag, greddy, revhard, etc...

i'm debating on either buying a complete kit or just piecing them together. i know if i peice them together, i'll get the parts i want but don't know how much at the end i'll actually be spending.

what i want to know is, for those that actually pieced parts together, how much did you spend total?
Old 12-16-2004, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how much did you spend on custom turbo kit VS drag, greddy, revhard, etc... (1.8)

well it really depends... you want a crazy setup? $4000+ (custom kit) or you want a mild? it's all about what you're looking for... daily driver, weekend warrior, straight race, ALL DEPENDS...

i'm not done with my kit... i'm looking to spend $2000-$2500
Old 12-16-2004, 01:15 AM

Default Re: how much did you spend on custom turbo kit VS drag, greddy, revhard, etc... (SHystrdyGSRtdy)

i just want a mild setup. nothing crazy.

mostly daily driver/weekend. looking to get 300 whp
Old 12-16-2004, 02:15 AM

Default Re: how much did you spend on custom turbo kit VS drag, greddy, revhard, etc... (1.8)

if your not looking to do anything wild i would just go with a off the shelf kit i.e. Revhard, Drag, Greddy. But let me tell you this boost is very very addictive...when your building a turbo car just to scoot around in and blow up the spot every once in a while it some how turns into a weekend warrior, then what do you know you have a full blown track car. Some people can control their impulses when it comes to this mostly cause of money and time restraints. IMO going with a custom kit you can always allow yourself a certain amount of growth out of your set up, meaning more boost, hp, etc. bottom line is figure out what you truely want to do with the car and what you see yourself taking your car in time, because you will always come up with greater ideas or wish you had taken a different path. my advice take your time really do your research!!! I wish i would have!!! I GOT RIPPED ON MY REVHARD KIT from a certain shop in Penn. that i will not name. Best bet is order off the internet from a random shop you will more then likely get the best deal that way or in my opinion it is. Sorry for the rambling
Old 12-16-2004, 03:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how much did you spend on custom turbo kit VS drag, greddy, revhard, etc... (MONTCO Si)

u can find so many used complete kits...turbo's, manifolds, intercoolers, injectors (which most kits dont include), and bov's/piping that its almost worth it sometimes to piece it together, problem is its used vs new, all at once vs finding the right parts

personally i love ht classifieds...as long as i dont get scammed
Old 12-16-2004, 04:07 AM

Default Re: how much did you spend on custom turbo kit VS drag, greddy, revhard, etc... (Toda Party)

A decent custom turbo kit will probably cost you about $1500. I ended up spending $1100 on my custom turbo kit. If you do your research and can do a lot of the work yourself or have friends that can help, you will have a lot of money left over for other things like a clutch, exhaust, wideband, etc...
Old 12-16-2004, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how much did you spend on custom turbo kit VS drag, greddy, revhard, etc... (beerbongskickass)

yah its not the kit that fawks u, its the nickel and dime BS like clutch, oil pan gaskets, this gasket, that bolt, this little thing... thats where u get fuxxored, especially if u buy new @ list prices from a honda dealership haha
Old 12-16-2004, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how much did you spend on custom turbo kit VS drag, greddy, revhard, etc... (Toda Party)

I have about 4000 in my kit which includes everything to date, including hondata. The problem with cutting corners and not buying good stuff can be bad in the long run. Just make sure you do all of your reasearch and figure out haw fast you really want your car. Sure 200 HP is great in a honda but 250 is a lot better
Old 12-16-2004, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how much did you spend on custom turbo kit VS drag, greddy, revhard, etc... (mraudio13)

I spend around 7-8k (CDN) on my custom kit, but that include new clutch/new exhaust/little extra stuff that is not essential :D . But yea custom kit is definitely the way to go, part of the fun is shopping for the individual parts
Old 12-16-2004, 08:56 AM

Default Re: how much did you spend on custom turbo kit VS drag, greddy, revhard, etc... (mraudio13)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mraudio13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have about 4000 in my kit which includes everything to date, including hondata. The problem with cutting corners and not buying good stuff can be bad in the long run. Just make sure you do all of your reasearch and figure out haw fast you really want your car. Sure 200 HP is great in a honda but 250 is a lot better </TD></TR></TABLE>

"Cutting corners" can be construed many ways, but the most obvious one to me is buying crappy used parts.

Well, for the custom route, you have to be careful when buying stuff used, especially turbos (look out for bad seals/oil leaks, and shaft play, or even cracked housings), exhaust manifolds (cracks in the mani), injectors (make sure that they actually flow as much as the seller says they do... or you could just pick some up from a junkyard and test/clean them yourself), or ECU/ECMs (say, if you need one for OBD2-&gt;OBD1 conversion bad soldering = )... among other things.

If you manage to find used equipment in good shape, then by all means buy it! You will save quite a bit of money if you're dilligent and patient enough. As a few other guys pointed out, however, there are a lot of parts you may need to augment your setup with (clutch, wideband 02, engine management) which will add to your total. I think that if you go custom, you will learn a lot more in the process anyway. Parts selection is fun, too! I think you could get away with spending ~$2000+ and have some pretty decent parts (that's my goal, not including clutch, LSD/transmission, exhaust). Good luck!
Old 12-16-2004, 12:37 PM

Default Re: how much did you spend on custom turbo kit VS drag, greddy, revhard, etc... (mdpalmer)

thanks for the input guys. i'll have to see what my budget is. i'm really looking to spend about $2000 though. anymore opinions or anymore people willing to tell me what their custom setup cost?
Old 12-18-2004, 05:26 PM

bump.