Notices

How Much Can Honda Stock Internals Take ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2002, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Much Can Honda Stock Internals Take ?

Someone recently posted this to a comment I made...I found this to be a bit interesting....

"Stock internals will handle over 400 hsp to the wheels with the proper fuel and tuning".

I would like someone to explain to me the FACTS and SPECS from a legit source of info/specs to confirm or deny this statement ! I am speaking of F/I and N/A cars makes no difference ! Stock internals, Honda motor, whats the fail/breaking point ?
Please make sure is a LEGIT source not because so and so says or someones uncles brothers cousin's daughter said so....!
Old 09-20-2002, 09:08 AM

Default Re: How Much Can Honda Stock Internals Take ? (AcuraFreak)

look for stoopid's posts. He is actually in the tx area and he has tuned several cars to be around 300whp with just a block guard and stock internals. Just do a search, a buncha VA guys using the inline pro head gasket have been able to hit ~300whp easily with no problems.

From what i have read from previous posts, most people say stock internals can handle 300whp easily...anything past that you may wanna consider a rebuild. A local shop up here, dynamic motorsports in Dillsburg, PA has been using the inline pro head gasket on their si. He was able to put down ~300whp easily on a b16a with a smaller t3/t4 than what they are running now.

[EDIT]
If you want real live source that you can talk to...why not talk to inline themselves. They have some 10 second cars that they've worked on...they have alot of respect on the east coast. their site is http://inlinepro.com
[/EDIT]

[Modified by prophet, 1:10 PM 9/20/2002]
Old 09-20-2002, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: How Much Can Honda Stock Internals Take ? (prophet)

Its different Obviously for D series....

Limits for D series is around 200.

spagetti rods suck.
Old 09-20-2002, 10:08 AM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont really think u can say how much stock internals can and cant take. I saw a guy w/ a GSR motor in a del sol crack a sleeve running 6psi. no detonation, pistons looked perfect but the sleeve cracked. happened the firstday he boosted. then at the other extreme you have jinxproof who ran a stock GSR motor to 351whp at close to 20psi for over a year only to rebuild it, not blow it.

most the time motors fail because of improper tuning. I think its safe to say a stock honda motor will withstand alot LESS detonation then a built motor, but with shitty tuning, u will blow up a built motor too. People are gonna push the stock motors to their limits and every motor is different, some may blow some wont. I guess you have to determine on ur own how far u want to push it.

[Modified by DIRep972, 7:09 PM 9/20/2002]
Old 09-20-2002, 04:44 PM

I myself have had a street car with a stock internal Gsr Motor using our INLINE PRO headgasket and have run it 75% of the time at 22lbs and have had it for about 3years and NEVER had to take the motor apart.

all of our customers that stay with in our (inlinePro) guidelines have never blown up a motor and everyone one with a DOHC runs about 10-12 lbs daily with pump gas and anywhere from 18-22lbs on race gas
that using a t3/t4 turbo on a b16/b18c/b18b/a

we have tested on our race car that stock sleve has held up to 608 whp on a race car ( not street car )
but on true street cars with a t3/t4 on race gas has seen a little under 400whp @22lbs

but on a T4 set up that i just built @ 15lbs on a DOHC whp was 365hp w 264 ftlbs
so far i have gone 11.60@ 125 on 13/14lbs and launched at around 3000rpm @ the 1/8mile my MPH was 101.5 whichj is damm good, so with a good run this car is a rocket

turning up the boost and gonna launch around 8g's looking for 11.20 or better

street raced a ZO6 and Z28SS and won
Old 09-20-2002, 05:36 PM
New User

Default Re: How Much Can Honda Stock Internals Take ? (JMR898)

i had a stock b18c1 head and block. inlinepro 3mm headgasket. fmu/afc/440 injectors. small t3/4 turbo. full interior hatch weighting at around 2450 w/ driver. went 361 hsp @21 lbs of boost on cam2 race fuel. drove that car everyday on pump gas @ 12 lbs of boost. around 280 hsp. race fuel on the weekends. motor had about 140,000 miles on it before the turbo went on. put about 10,000 miles on it with the turbo. pulled the motor at the end of last year(in perfect condition) and put a built motor in its place. the new built motor had 10:1 forged pistons, forged rods, ported head, bigger valves, springs, retainers, and stock gsr cams. stock oem honda sleeves. that was in november of last year.

by april of this year, i added a haltech, 8 injectors, and a sheetmetal intake manifold. on stock sleeves it made over 500 hsp to the wheels on race gas. 318 ft/lbs of torque. that car has been driven alot lately, weights 2450 with me in it, and went 10.70 @ 134 at that weight.

tuning is everything. you can buy an importbuilders motor or sleeve a block at golden eagle and slap a portflow head on it. either way, if you don't have it tuned correctly, KABOOOM. stock block or built, doesn't matter. its all in the tuning.

i have seen oem honda parts do this:

425 hsp to the wheels on stock b18c block and head. totally stock. car still drives.
over 675 hsp on stock b18c sleeves. car still drives.
180 hsp "n/a" on a built b18c motor and it blows up.
250 hsp on a b18 turbo motor and it blows.

some of those were tuned correctly, and some3 were not. that is the difference.
Old 09-20-2002, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How Much Can Honda Stock Internals Take ? (jinxproof99)

i have the basic boltons on a civic hybrid with a b18c. i ahve been researching that inline pro heas gasket. u think with that i could run about 10 pounds on stock head and block. i need this car to last a while, just started college and need to drive it everyday. thanks for any input
Old 09-20-2002, 08:00 PM
New User

Default Re: How Much Can Honda Stock Internals Take ? (c1civic)

i have the basic boltons on a civic hybrid with a b18c. i ahve been researching that inline pro heas gasket. u think with that i could run about 10 pounds on stock head and block. i need this car to last a while, just started college and need to drive it everyday. thanks for any input
you can run 12 lbs of boost w the 3mm headgasket, 440 injectors, afc, fmu.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:02 PM

Default Re: How Much Can Honda Stock Internals Take ? (jinxproof99)

I have always heard RBoosted say that the B18C motor will take about 240 hp. Anything over that and eventually your rings are toast. Time is the factor, then.

BTW ... ask Flamenco-NA about boosting on a stock block.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:04 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: How Much Can Honda Stock Internals Take ? (95GS-R)

flamenco wouldnt be a good example. Also, Rboosted may have blown his rings from the heat of the SC and no way of cooling down the compressed air. Ive put out way more than 240whp, and Jinx and the inline pro guys have put even more than me.

art
Old 09-20-2002, 08:10 PM

Default Re: How Much Can Honda Stock Internals Take ? (c1civic)

yeah , man we all run way more then 10lbs and most of the guys HAVE only ONE car , we have a black civic as example that was done about 3+ years ago and is still going strong and he rapes the car on the weekends

My car is been running 3 years now and i race EVERYWEEKEND

my friends car is also being driven an 1hour each way to work and he runs 12lbs daily with a T4
the List can go on and on and on .......
it's also not just the parts it's the install and the tunner!!!!
The main KEy is fuel and the right tunner!! thats the bottom line
and inline PRO stands behind all of our work
Old 09-20-2002, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How Much Can Honda Stock Internals Take ? (JMR898)

Not Flaming but how's the gearbox must of been replaced a few times aye? Nice of you guys to tolerate us newbies!
Old 09-21-2002, 12:31 AM
Smarter than you

I have always heard RBoosted say that the B18C motor will take about 240 hp. Anything over that and eventually your rings are toast. Time is the factor, then.

BTW ... ask Flamenco-NA about boosting on a stock block.
flamenco was running stock timing and spiking to 9psi. that DAMN AVC-R. the motor still lasted 4 months and close to 15k miles. stock timing at 9psi w/ FMU set up on stock GSR is NOT proper tuning. hehe sorry stan, but we gonna get it right this time
Old 09-21-2002, 01:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How Much Can Honda Stock Internals Take ? (DIRep972)

flamenco was running stock timing and spiking to 9psi. that DAMN AVC-R.
Haha, damnit. I have Stans damn AVCR in my car right now

[Modified by intekragsr, 10:36 AM 9/21/2002]
Old 09-21-2002, 03:47 AM

Default Re: How Much Can Honda Stock Internals Take ? (intekragsr)

and how much is for an inlinepro headgasket for GSR ??
Old 09-21-2002, 07:59 AM

Default Re: How Much Can Honda Stock Internals Take ? (Arturbo)

flamenco wouldnt be a good example. Also, Rboosted may have blown his rings from the heat of the SC and no way of cooling down the compressed air. Ive put out way more than 240whp, and Jinx and the inline pro guys have put even more than me.

art
Nice of you to say Art, I was expecting to come on here and find a bunch of angry people flaming me. I didn't think a high compression motor with no stand alone fuel tuning was going to last very long, but Stan never told me exactly what had gone wrong.

I never really considered the difference between supercharging an engine and the heat generated. I do know that the JRSC runs very hot. With some method of cooling would you be able to push the boost higher on a JRSC car with stock internals?
Old 09-21-2002, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

with mine, it was a simple case of bad luck....I don't think the AVC-R was the cause of it though....it was the damn drag manifold for one...the WG flange was on runner 1 causing it to spike like crazy...

I had few problems of boost spike prior to that, ,but it was only a matter of time before the ***** gave up....

plus we boosted hella crazy that night...more than I ever did before...

and some of you guys may remember the simplicity of my setup that fortunately made a lot of power than most setup at that time...

98 GS-R, ITR intake cam, Drag 3 kit, Greddy SP 2.25 exhaust.. PERIOD
and I made 256HP at 6.5 psi heheheheh

nad yes 9psi felt really really fast hehehehe

stan
Old 09-22-2002, 12:01 AM
Smarter than you

Default Re: How Much Can Honda Stock Internals Take ? (Flamenco-NA)

i still dont know about that hp to this day. How come we were such a close race and u were making 40-50 more hp. could have been the stock clutch and wieght factor, u did have an autozone in that damn car haha. but i dont think that one night blew ur motor. I run my **** like that once a week still and it loves it haha but then again it is an LS motor! I still think it was the timing that killed u.
Old 09-22-2002, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How Much Can Honda Stock Internals Take ? (DIRep972)

LOL. I remember when you gave me the theory about the tque and horsepower crossover and I was like, Ooh ****.... ehehhehehee

well, yeah for once stock clutch ownz joo plus the damn autozone that I have in the back of the trunk....

we'll get it right this time...hehehe
Old 09-22-2002, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How Much Can Honda Stock Internals Take ? (Flamenco-NA)

what does the block guard do and where does it go exactly? Looks like it goes under the headgasket or someting? The inlinepro site should have a description or something for the products. Nice site and nice to see such good numbers and realiability on stock bottom ends!

s
Old 09-22-2002, 08:23 PM

Default Re: How Much Can Honda Stock Internals Take ? (stevel)

I have a GSR and planning on going turbo, but I was wondering what trim and a/r I should go with when I order the t3/t4 garrett turbo. I want quick spool and wont be able to afford new internals unitl later on. Help me out on what trim turbo, manifold, intercooler and fuel management. I am going custom so any other help would be appriciated. Thanks guys.

Shezan
http://www.roninonline.com
Old 09-22-2002, 11:31 PM

Default Re: How Much Can Honda Stock Internals Take ? (Shezan01)

kinda OT but since we're talking about engines, i thought i'd ask. what is a blockguard? i've seen one by nuformz(sp?) and a couple others.
Old 09-22-2002, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How Much Can Honda Stock Internals Take ? (theory48)

i've heard the ring lands are the first to go, but i never experinced it...just built engine from begining, but now i dont have the money for the turbo...lol
Old 09-22-2002, 11:42 PM

Default Re: How Much Can Honda Stock Internals Take ? (theory48)

I boosted 17psi on a bone stock b18b.
dynoed 272hp 238tq at 10
248hp and 217tq at 8
inline tuned it.
Old 09-24-2002, 03:45 AM

Default Re: How Much Can Honda Stock Internals Take ? (Civicdrgrcr)

I made 349 hp on a bone stock motor. Ive got hondata though, a little bit better than the AFC route. 550 injectors..255 lph intank...made 349 on 15 psi at autothority's dyno contest thing they had like 2 weekends ago. Just went down to nopi and ran it on street tires at dinwiddie as part of the super street tour. Went like 13.2 at 103, w/ me letting off of the gas at the end of 4th gear, and a 2.3 60' foot time. Track temp was 100+. I need some bigger friggin slicks so i can really see what the car does!!

Quick Reply: How Much Can Honda Stock Internals Take ?