Notices

how much boost is unsafe in a USDM b16?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much boost is unsafe in a USDM b16?

i have a 2000 b16 that is barely used. i was planning on buying a used turbo very soon. how much is a safe amount of boost? i was planning on 5 or 6 psi for DD and maybe a couple more if i feel sassy. ive assumed i shoould stay under 9 psi, but i was wondering if 7 or 8 would be safe. also, what is the max boost i can do usuing a stock fuel system? or is it not a good idea to use stock at even 5 psi?

ive also heard that usdm b16's have slightly less compression than the jdm b16. is it enough of a difference that the usdm motor will stand up to more boost? or is it just a very little difference that wont matter ina turbo application?
Old 10-28-2004, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how much boost is unsafe in a USDM b16? (L8NightDrifter)

its power not boost. hell i'm running 16psi on my stock F23, was running 17psi for over a week. 300whp seems to be the norm now!
Old 10-28-2004, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Depends on the tuning if you have a good tune you can obviously run more boost and be on the safe side if you have no tuning than no more than 8 You need a walboro 255 fuel pump.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:31 AM

Default Re: (NotUrAvgSi)

all depends on the tuner, im going 7 on walbro fuel pump and 440 injectors, and a local shop is chipping crome, ive heard with hondata you can boost 11 pounds daily driver if you want, all depends on how your tune is.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:29 PM

Default Re: (Maverik4k)

i need a walbro and injectors for just 5 psi? pooyi, turboing aint so cheap

how much hp you think 5 or 6 psi will put down on a tiny *** turbo untuned?

and does anybody have the answer to my question about if a usdm b16 has a big enough differnce in compression to stand up to boost better?
Old 10-29-2004, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You don't want to run too tiny of a turbo like a 14B on a b16. I run 8psi on my stock b16 witha SC34. I have a Walbro 255, B&M FPR, and DSM 450's. For tuning. I have my dizzy timing at stock and have my afc for fuel tuning and my custom AFC hack chip to fix the mad timnig advance so it's acutalyl a bit retard all the time and to also provide boost retard. I'm running it very safe running at 1 degree boost retard tob e safe, sometiesm it goes more then that. I ahve my A/R ratio tuned to about high 11's.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:09 PM

Default Re: (Tchleung)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tchleung &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You don't want to run too tiny of a turbo like a 14B on a b16. I run 8psi on my stock b16 witha SC34. I have a Walbro 255, B&M FPR, and DSM 450's. For tuning. I have my dizzy timing at stock and have my afc for fuel tuning and my custom AFC hack chip to fix the mad timnig advance so it's acutalyl a bit retard all the time and to also provide boost retard. I'm running it very safe running at 1 degree boost retard tob e safe, sometiesm it goes more then that. I ahve my A/R ratio tuned to about high 11's.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow, im not sure in im fluent enough yet to understand all of this. why is it not a good idea to have a tiny turbo for my b16? im not looking to go that fast, just want fast response from the turbo. whats the sc34? what brand? how big? what website? i want to learn a little about this turbo. it sounds expensive
how much psi is this turbo good for and what rpm does it hit full boost? i dont see tha need to get a turbo capable of 15 psi if im only gonna be running 8 or 9 at most and prolly 5 or 6 dd.

what do you guys think is a good turbo for my sitiation? not looking for bigboost, just fast boost
Old 10-29-2004, 08:38 PM

Default Re: (L8NightDrifter)

i ran as much as 12 on race gas, just depends on your tune, and your elevation, i love 7k feet
Old 10-30-2004, 04:55 AM

Default Re: (maveric)

first dont believe:you need this you need that like the walbro why the **** do you need a walbro uner 300-350whp? turbotimer oh yeah you deff. need one if your gonna boost the **** out your turbo and then turn of the engine!

small turbo(if itll make it to redline) makes less power per psi than a bigger turbo.
like you have got a goal of 220whp you need 13psi on a small turbo and 8psi on a t3t4(nrs arrent correct ofcourse)
this way the bigger turbo is safer cause with lower psi less chance of detonation.
but its not all about detonation(psi) cause if you got a safe tune you can still push it too much if your hp goal is to high!
btw turboing aint cheap!!! your gonna need(220whp??):turbo, mani, clutch, inj(might work with stock if your hp goal is low and your not using the afc
hack),bov,wastegate,ic,piping management,tuning and i probb. forgot some things!
Old 11-02-2004, 12:37 PM

Default Re: (markvqwerty)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by markvqwerty &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">first dont believe:you need this you need that like the walbro why the **** do you need a walbro uner 300-350whp? turbotimer oh yeah you deff. need one if your gonna boost the **** out your turbo and then turn of the engine!

small turbo(if itll make it to redline) makes less power per psi than a bigger turbo.
like you have got a goal of 220whp you need 13psi on a small turbo and 8psi on a t3t4(nrs arrent correct ofcourse)
this way the bigger turbo is safer cause with lower psi less chance of detonation.
but its not all about detonation(psi) cause if you got a safe tune you can still push it too much if your hp goal is to high!
btw turboing aint cheap!!! your gonna need(220whp??):turbo, mani, clutch, inj(might work with stock if your hp goal is low and your not using the afc
hack),bov,wastegate,ic,piping management,tuning and i probb. forgot some things! </TD></TR></TABLE>

i knew that the bigger your turbo the more power per psi, but i didnt know that the durability of the motor is based on the amount of psi, i assumed it would be based on the amount of power. so what your sayins is that 200hp on a tiny turbo is less reliable for my motor than 200hp on a bigger turbo? i thought 200hp was 200hp.
and as for my goal, my goal is to not go that fast, this is my daily driver and i have a money pit FD that is my main priority. so ou t of this car i am looking for a reialbe daily driver with a little boost. like maybe 5 or 6 psi daily, and maybe 8 or 9 psi if im in a hurry.

wtf do i need to get to run a turbo? i thought everything i need would come in a typical turbo kit. i already have a new ACT street clutch. doesnt ic and **** come in a turbo kit?

how much you think i can expect to soend to turbo my car with a used kit? plus labor? how much do ppl usually charge for labor?
Old 11-09-2004, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (L8NightDrifter)

bump because i have the same engine and my goals are similiar, i want something that spools up quickly (like tony the tigers gsr haha yeah right in my dreams) my goal horsepower is 240-280 but most importantly i want more torque out of the 1.6

thats why i want a turbo that spools quickly so that it can reach my top end quicker

i cannot afford hondata or know anyone who can tune uberdata so i will prbably get a vafc2 hack and some injectors, i dont think i need a bigger fuel pump for my setup but we'll see

btw are there any sites or faqs that guide us on how to use the vafc's for instance what numbers would be good to put in, in order to mess with fuel, time retarding, and bla bla bla
Old 11-09-2004, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bboylito)

most ppl and sites will say -35% across but I found via wideband Is tart from about -31% at boost tip in at WOT and lean down to -33% by redline. anything leaner was just way too lean to be safe in boost...
Old 11-10-2004, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tchleung)

^^^^^thats japanese to me
Old 11-17-2004, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone have anymore thoughts on this?????????
Old 11-18-2004, 11:57 AM

you need fuel management, that is most important, turboing your car is NOT cheap, so save your money and do it RIGHT the first time.

Reasearch prior

here's my 2 cents.

(Cheaper)
tune chrome/uberdata from a reliable local shop, get a upgraded fuel pump and big injectors for over 240hp i would get some 550's, 440's will work but will be using most of there clycle. YOU DO NOT NEED a upgraded Fuel pressure regulator or a upgraded fuel rail.

(baller)
Get either a aem ems or Hondata and boost the **** out of it, you still need the injectors and fuel pump!

get an presicion sc50 turbo! you will LOVE it.
lucus,pressition,rc are all great injectors
walbra is the best fuel pump for the price.
Tial wastegate is a must...

Intercooler
manifold
dp
BOV
fuel return/feed lines
Intercooler piping

Dont get fleamarket ****, or jsut buy a used kit for hella cheap

Things to consider:
upgrading radiator
keeping your ac and fitment issue(notching the block)
tranny work u will need a better clutch than stock. ls 5th gear
dumptube
flexpipe
etc etc