Notices

how much boost on stock internals?? d series

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much boost on stock internals?? d series

i've seen alot of ppl who say u can run up to 15 psi on stock internals in d16y8.. and some say anything over 10 is bad. keep in my mind i would be driving daily on this much boost, im jus wondering how i should get tuned on to get good power but stay reliable? im running a turbonetics t3 t4 hybrid with dsm 450 injectors and walbro fuel pump.

anyone who has a turbo d, i would love to hear ur advice but il take anyone who has knowledge on the topics advice.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: how much boost on stock internals?? d series

need more info. psi is an irrelevant number really.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok let me rephrase.. how much hp can i run reliably on stock internals?? and is too much psi a abd thing if im not making tooo much hp?
Old 10-15-2009, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

more psi to make less power means more heat which = bad.

I think 200-220 is the limit of the D bottom end in stock trim.

If you're serious I'd recomend doing a budget vitara build so you're safe... you don't want to end up spinning a bearing and having no block/crank to work with.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

cant do a build, this is my dd so i cant have the engine out while im putting in new pistons and rods. most i could probly do is head studs and gasket. if it blows, il build the next motor.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:21 AM

200ish is the limit but also look into porting and shimming your oil pump as well....but you should of used search feature though.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by j.packsb
cant do a build, this is my dd so i cant have the engine out while im putting in new pistons and rods. most i could probly do is head studs and gasket. if it blows, il build the next motor.
lol... this is my daily driver so I can't do it right once I'm gunna risk blowing the motor making it un-usable and deal with having to find another motor when it happens...

ok... good luck.

Only advise I have for you is spend the lion share of your money on tuning and fueling.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NonovUrbizniz
lol... this is my daily driver so I can't do it right once I'm gunna risk blowing the motor making it un-usable and deal with having to find another motor when it happens...

ok... good luck.

Only advise I have for you is spend the lion share of your money on tuning and fueling.
x2

Its funny how the people with the DD cut even more corners..
Old 10-15-2009, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im not cutting corners by not fully building. this isnt a race car im building, i jus want a quick d series. plenty of ppl run boost jus find on stock internals. no need for me to do a vitara build for roughly 200 to 210 whp. these motors hold up fine for 200. im gonna get arp head studs and decent turbo parts. at least gimme credit for no buying a ****in ebay tuurbo kit and jus puttin it on. and yea im gonna get it pro tuned by a guy thats real popular in my area.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you apparently knew the answer, why did you ask the question?
Old 10-15-2009, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im not cutting corners by not fully building. this isnt a race car im building, i jus want a quick d series. plenty of ppl run boost jus find on stock internals. no need for me to do a vitara build for roughly 200 to 210 whp. these motors hold up fine for 200. im gonna get arp head studs and decent turbo parts. at least gimme credit for no buying a ****in ebay tuurbo kit and jus puttin it on. and yea im gonna get it pro tuned by a guy thats real popular in my area.
Just saying as cheap as vitaras are it just seems like you are making a lot of trouble for yourself by not building it..also if you know they hold up to 200 why are you here asking?

I will give you credit if you get it tuned and use quality parts it will last for awhile.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i knew that it can hold up to 220 but i didnt know if the amount of psi it took to get there mattered..? i dont kno if that statement makes sense but thats the best way i can explain it.. i diidnt kno if there was a limit for the amount of psi u can put in and be safe, i wasnt really speakin hp..?
Old 10-15-2009, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i knew that it can hold up to 220 but i didnt know if the amount of psi it took to get there mattered..? i dont kno if that statement makes sense but thats the best way i can explain it.. i diidnt kno if there was a limit for the amount of psi u can put in and be safe, i wasnt really speakin hp..?
Hp kills parts not psi..yo can have a higher compression motor make the same power with less boost, or you can have a lower compression motor make the same power with more boost. Just matters if you get there not how you got there of course you dont want to be pushing 22psi on a small *** turbo, but you get my drift.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea i get wat ur sayin.. make sense. with that being said, would u recomend raising compression with head gasket, or jus oem?

an if i were to buy vitara pistons and tunertoyz rods, would they both drop right in? and about how long would it take to put them? ..(my friend would know how to do it, i jus wanna kno if i could do it in one day)
Old 10-15-2009, 07:59 AM

I GOT A SOHC LS RODS VITARA PISTION ON 17 PSI AND IT IS FAST NEVER HAD IT ON A DYNO BUT IT WALKED A BOOSTED B16 ON 10 PSI TUNNED AT 280 WHP
Old 10-15-2009, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how longs it take to change pistons and rods and how difficult is it??
Old 10-15-2009, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just like everyones been saying around 200hp reliably give or take 25hp depending on tuning skills d series rods are weak sause and if ya want it to be reliable 200hp you need a have decent tuning system with timing control that is what will save your motor and keep it runing for a long time and fuel obviously lol
Old 10-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am not 100% sure about compression on d series motors so that question would be left better for someone else...and as long as the rods and pistons are made for the correct motor it should be a drop in affair also assuming the piston walls dont need rehoneing.

If your friend has experience in building motors I dont think it would take longer than a day, only issue would be getting it tuned after the stock ecu wont like the setup if you change the compression anywhere from stock for sure. If possible try to get a basemap for the setup from your tuner if you decide to build the motor just so you can drive around a bit and drive it to the tuner.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:46 AM

IVE GOT 50K ON MY MOTOR DAILY DRIVEN CAR NO BOOST CONTROLLER 1BAR OFF THE WASTE GATE
Old 10-15-2009, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ekhatchnasty
I GOT A SOHC LS RODS VITARA PISTION ON 17 PSI AND IT IS FAST NEVER HAD IT ON A DYNO BUT IT WALKED A BOOSTED B16 ON 10 PSI TUNNED AT 280 WHP
Old 10-15-2009, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

250whp max on conservative tune. At level you are rolling the dice however.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

200-250 is the most I'd recommend for a HEALTHY motor. This means OEM headgasket, headbolts that have NEVER been reused, and good compression and oil pressure numbers.

My first motor was a 10psi z6 and pushed coolant above that (reused HG/bolts), while another friend recently sold his 155k z6 with 11psi on a 50trim t3/t4 - and it blew the next day. SOHC motors love to snap rods, and that tends to take the ENTIRE motor out.

So if you plan on running more than 5psi with that turbo, you NEED to have a spare car or spare motor availible. Best thing you can do is get an a6 or z6 shortblock, FJT long rods/vitaras, a rod bearing kit, HG, and arp's. That would be ~$600 + the block, and would take whatever you can push at it. 2 years ago I did a whole d16z6 shortblock rebuild myself, and I've taken it to 19psi so far. Usually ~15psi daily driving madness.