Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   How much boost, and how much nitrous, could a B18C Type R handle? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/how-much-boost-how-much-nitrous-could-b18c-type-r-handle-3297725/)

Rywen 04-29-2017 08:31 AM

How much boost, and how much nitrous, could a B18C Type R handle?

(sorry if this is in the wrong place)

Note all my questions are entirely hypothetical and I do not plan on doing any of this, especially without pro tuning, etc.
I'm wondering how much boost could a B18C Type R theoretically safely handle. The compression ratio is already extremely high (11.0:1), so I wouldn't think it could handle a huge amount of psi.
On the other hand, Nitrous/NOS isn't forced injection, is it? Is it something that goes into the fuel mixture rather than boosting the engine correct? Having just a NOS setup and no turbo, how high of a shot of Nitrous could it handle safely?
I'm asking these because I'm planning on putting a B18C Type R into my 95 Civic DX far in the future, and was simply wondering about this stuff.

turbociv910 04-29-2017 10:13 AM

Re: How much boost, and how much nitrous, could a B18C Type R handle?

40 psi and 200 shot

Rywen 05-01-2017 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by turbociv910 (Post 51269182)
40 psi and 200 shot

Are you joking? It can handle 40psi of boost? I've never even heard of any car going more than high 20s/low 30s. And I thought the high compression ratio of the engine would make it not able to handle a high amount of boost...
200 Shot sounds pretty powerful as well, are you just pulling these numbers out of thin air or do you have stats to back this up? Or calculations because of compression and bore and stroke and stuff?

0c00l 05-01-2017 08:00 AM

These guys seem to be doing well with a stock sleeve B18 platform:

AZ_CIVIC 05-01-2017 08:08 AM

I'm at about 50psi in my whip LOL.

TheShodan 05-01-2017 09:17 AM

Ok. This is getting seriously vague here, and I get the joke that AZ and 00c00l are making. To the OP. please check the "Stock block" threads on their forum, by way of a google search.

Head to the FAQs to understand that PSI of boost pressure is not an accurate indicator of an engine's ability to handle a certain amount of power. You need to be specific as to the situation, and not be hypothetical. You want hypothetical, play Forza 4 or Need for Speed. Here, specific questions matter, or they are a waster of time on the tech forums. Do you mean sleeved block, stock engine block? which turbocharger are you using? etc. And yes, nitrous is considered as Forced Induction .

I'm going to have to close this now, as I can easily see this going out of hand. Rywen, you have a bit of searching and investigation to do before creating a thread.

Thanks.