Notices

how much boost can stock pistons hold?

Old 07-14-2004, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much boost can stock pistons hold?

anyone know what a safe psi or hp level stock d16 pistons can hold, with decent fuel management?
Old 07-14-2004, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Psi means nothing if you don't specify a turbo. FYI
Old 07-14-2004, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how much boost can stock pistons hold? (Btothe3rdDegree)

everything is ultimately based on the amount of torque you are making. (hp value comes from torque)
Old 07-14-2004, 01:34 PM

Default Re: (D15B7turbo)

t3 42/48
i have scat rods a block guard, headstuds, aftermarket bearing ect, ect. i just dont have the money or time to wait for pistons right now, i am running out of free rides and bills are starting to pile up, si i was wondering if i could install my stock pistons and run with that for a while, i have a wideband and i am going to be running uberdata so it is not like i wont be careful i was just wondering what my limits will be
Old 07-14-2004, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Btothe3rdDegree)

no money and turbo don't mix bro.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:59 PM

Default Re: (MachAF)

so what would you say 10 psi tuned?
Old 07-14-2004, 02:08 PM

pistons are almost never going to be a weak point in a setup. forged pistond do have stronger ring lands but they are screwed if you detonate anyway so there will not be too big of a problem with them. most people buy pistons either because they think it will make the motor stronger, or to change compression/bore of the motor.
in order to make it safer you should take the block gaurd off your motor. a block gaurd will increase your risk of detonation, it will cause wall warpage, and hotspots. it will do all that with no benifits unless your running 20+psi. and in that case you should no longer be on stock sleeves.
i am not too familiar with scat rods, but if they are good than you could go to around 15-18psi assuming you have a good tuner
Old 07-14-2004, 02:17 PM
TurboJesse

Default Re: (98gsrTEG)

pickup those vitara pistons for 100 bux mang
Old 07-14-2004, 03:08 PM

Default Re: (Mpir3)

those vitara pistons are so far on backorder it is not even funny, as far as the blockguard, everyone has there own oppion, mine is i am going to use it, golden eagle says they are safe til 15 psi if installed correctly
Old 07-14-2004, 03:09 PM
TurboJesse

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Btothe3rdDegree &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">those vitara pistons are so far on backorder it is not even funny, as far as the blockguard, everyone has there own oppion, mine is i am going to use it, golden eagle says they are safe til 15 psi if installed correctly</TD></TR></TABLE>

how can they rate a block gaurd "safe" to 15psi when they don't know anyting about the setup?
Old 07-14-2004, 04:20 PM

Default Re: (Mpir3)

how can you rate anything? i am sure on some setups you can get more out of it and on others less, it is just a general idea
Old 07-14-2004, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (98gsrTEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98gsrTEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pistons are almost never going to be a weak point in a setup. forged pistond do have stronger ring lands but they are screwed if you detonate anyway so there will not be too big of a problem with them. most people buy pistons either because they think it will make the motor stronger, or to change compression/bore of the motor.
in order to make it safer you should take the block gaurd off your motor. a block gaurd will increase your risk of detonation, it will cause wall warpage, and hotspots. it will do all that with no benifits unless your running 20+psi. and in that case you should no longer be on stock sleeves.
i am not too familiar with scat rods, but if they are good than you could go to around 15-18psi assuming you have a good tuner</TD></TR></TABLE>

So what is the weakest part of a honda engine when boosting?

I think the pistons are the weakest part on a stock honda motor. everyone cracks their ringlands.

forged material handles a lot more heat than cast. therefore they will handle detonation better.

and a blockguard will help if installed correctly.

d16's are the stoutest motors out there either.

Modified by MachAF at 7:57 PM 7/14/2004
Old 07-14-2004, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MachAF)

You can't just install Aftermarket Rods using stock Honda Pistons...You need to setup the stock pistons with Locks to use your aftermarket rods...Plus, the fact is, your pistons are the weakest part of the engine...You should sell the rods, get forged pistons and run stock rods...
Old 07-14-2004, 05:02 PM

Default Re: (Sunrise City Rider)

i always thought rods were the weakest? especially on a d series, i am going to tune tune tune and be conservitive and wait for my vitara pistons
Old 07-14-2004, 05:05 PM

Default Re: (Sunrise City Rider)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sunrise City Rider &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can't just install Aftermarket Rods using stock Honda Pistons...You need to setup the stock pistons with Locks to use your aftermarket rods...</TD></TR></TABLE>

is this true?
Old 07-15-2004, 09:28 AM

can i put stock pistons on aftermarket rods?
Old 07-15-2004, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

rods are by far the weakest link on that motor,
check on this board and on turbod16,homemadeturbo boards and all other forums
everyone that blew their D series motor rod #2 is usually the one
that goes and some cases like my motor all of them but unusual enough
pistons were still in perfect condition at 14psi. only seen one case were the pistons
went at 16psi but still the rods blew also.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hotintegranights)

btw to put the stock pistons on eagle rods your gonna spend around 100-140 bucks. i suggest either wait and save for forged pistons or susuki pistons or just dont do it at all until you got some cash, turbo and broke dont mix.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:19 PM

Default Re: (hotintegranights)

"So what is the weakest part of a honda engine when boosting?

I think the pistons are the weakest part on a stock honda motor. everyone cracks their ringlands.

forged material handles a lot more heat than cast. therefore they will handle detonation better.

and a blockguard will help if installed correctly.

d16's are the stoutest motors out there either."

rods by far. the rods take all the force given on the motor. not the pistons. if you have noticed haw many crack ringlands, and then look again very few of them are even stock pistons. forged will stand more abuse, but they still do often crack.

if a block gaurd can work if installed right how come the place in wich the motor gets the greatest side loads isn't even were the block gaurd braces? the block gets the greatest side loads about half way down or up the stroke. and even if it were the top, your motor does not get any damaging side load untill you get way past 15psi. people think it does help since the places that sell them tell you they do. but in the end its all about making money and they call it a cheap alternative to sleeveing, wich it is not. there have been several cases were the block gaurd has been installed right and there is still warpage, then hotsopts and the of course detonation. then from that you get cracked sleeve, thrown rod, or cracked piston.

Old 07-15-2004, 11:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If i were you, i would just put it back together w/ stock pistons -and- rods.
You can easily run 10psi on your average sized t3.
And really, just have some self control and leave it fairly conservative.
Dont push it until you can afford a nice set of pistons to go with the rods.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:34 AM

Default Re: how much boost can stock pistons hold? (rioninja)

I ran between 12-14psi on a bone stock d16a for about a year with nothing but an FMU and 310cc injectors, with an IHI ball-bearing. As long as it is tuned correctly, you should be able to run at least 10 with no problems. But I agree with everyone else about getting new internals. Better safe than sorry...
Old 07-16-2004, 03:58 AM

I' ve got the same question than you..I put the GSR pistons with eagle rods on my b16..How much boost guys you think I can run.?I' ve got a K26 turbo sized as T3/T4 and my CR is about 8.9:1..I think it holds 15 psi?A also put in all new bearings , rings etc...
Old 07-16-2004, 06:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: how much boost can stock pistons hold? (jure)

vitara? suzuki? wtf

oh nm-

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fjt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Something unaware to a lo of ppl..I was amazed too when i heard it but after seeing my friend ride boosting 16PSI and 12 sec runs i decided to give it a try.A lot of ppl in here use these pistons for D series Turbo build ups with great results.

The pistons have the same 75MM bore as the D15,D16 engine.Pistons are out of 98-99 Vitara.The code of the piston is G16. NO machining needed..they just drop in there like if they were meant for the engine [Ace ventura}Like a gloooooooove[/Ace ventura off]..
COmpression numbers on Y7 engines are 8.5:1(slightly higher on Y8) with stock head. They are forged from factory and also theyre floating style.

Cost? Well i got a brand new set for less than a 100 bucks(prize to low to say..lol). They go for around 140 a set and the replacement pistons go for like 100 a set. If you want to boost between 15-20 PSI these are an excelent solution instead of buying 300$+ AFtermarkets...

Compression too low? Well just mill the head and get desired ratio.The piston doesnt get flush up top so if you mill the head the valves still clear very fine.

I plan in the future to Weld the head to get a rectangular chamber and mill it a lil for maybe a 9.1:1 compression.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-16-2004, 09:12 AM

Default Re: how much boost can stock pistons hold? (jure)

bump