Notices

How many of you use a smaller battery to fit a catch can? Pics appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How many of you use a smaller battery to fit a catch can? Pics appreciated!

I already have a Moroso catch can mounted on the passenger shock tower. This will be for the valve cover.

I bought a square Greddy can a while back because I thought it would fit on its side in this configuration mounted near where my charge piping comes up through the fender, but it's too tall:

I then searched for a place to mount it like this:

Unfortunately, with A/C, power steering and cruise control, I don't see any other option than battery relocation (not thrilled about this idea), or a smaller battery like a Hawker. There are a million threads about wire tucking and making things pretty, but this is my daily driver, and I need a battery that can handle cold Northeastern weather.

I don't have the link, but I recall a thread where people were saying that these small batteries aren't so great. IF I replace the stock battery with a smaller one, will there be enough room to mount this catch can either horizontally or vertically?

Modified by Sprockets at 2:40 PM 8/19/2007
Old 08-18-2007, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a hawker odyssey pc680 battery in the stock location and used it all winter and its still in the car now.

The buddy club,braille no weight and a bunch of other slim batteries were the ones people were saying were garbage. I have really never heard anything bad about hawker.

seems like your idea will work.It would fit horizontally next to it but I don't know up vertically.Do you have the exact measurements of the can with the filter on?
Old 08-19-2007, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cbustuner)

Thanks for the help. I modified the pics above to show the dimensions. One of the measurements of the base in the second pic has been blocked by the logo. It's 3 1/8".

I did end up finding the thread where people were bashing the Braille battery. Hawker sounds like a good brand, but the CCA concerns me. Did you use the stock Honda battery tray, or did you buy another one? I'd love to see a pic if you have one. Thanks again!
Old 08-19-2007, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sprockets)

What about the charcol canister location, it won't fit there?
Old 08-19-2007, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SoTexDC2)

Maybe, but I still have my charcoal canister. It would be nice to get rid of the thing, but I don't like the idea of open gas fumes.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:09 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.apexbattery.com/haw....html

works well. cant crank the hell out of it, but as long as all is well it can handle a little bit of abuse.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostedcivicsir)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivicsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">works well. cant crank the hell out of it, but as long as all is well it can handle a little bit of abuse.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nicely done! I found that link on Google, but the terminals, plus the fact that it says UPS battery, made me think that it wasn't actually a Hawker. Is it? For that price, I could buy 2 and keep a spare in the trunk, just in case.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:21 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivicsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.apexbattery.com/haw....html

works well. cant crank the hell out of it, but as long as all is well it can handle a little bit of abuse.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey Mikey, do you have a part # for this battery? The link is no longer working.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:37 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Default Re: (White Smoke)

no but ill get it off of the batt later......
Old 08-22-2007, 07:38 AM
Mr. Badwrench

yeah it doesnt take a traditional batt cable end, used -4 audio cable ends. works well.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (White Smoke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White Smoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you have a part # for this battery? The link is no longer working.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's not a Hawker:

Universal Power Group UB12180
Old 08-22-2007, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://ebatteriestogo.com/merc...45-UB
Old 08-22-2007, 12:59 PM
Mr. Badwrench

oh well it was listed as a hawker.
yell at dan he talked me into it. he hee.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Heres mine. In the stock location.My autozone battery was going out and at the time this was 89+ shipping new so I jumped on it.You have the option for terminals but I opted to just add the o-ring ends and redo my old ground and starter wiring.

During winter I never had a problem with it even when my car sat for a while. It doesn't get super below zero cold here but last season it dipped into the single digits a few times.They have ones with higher cca's that are around the same size.Depending on where you buy it you may also get a 1-2 year warranty.

This pictures kinda crappy but its the only one I have.Im going to trim the j hooks eventually.To fit it there I just needed an adjustabletie down and new j hooks.

I got the battery from here
Old 08-22-2007, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivicsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh well it was listed as a hawker.
yell at dan he talked me into it. he hee.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey, it works, and it's cheap!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cbustuner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Heres mine. In the stock location.My autozone battery was going out and at the time this was 89+ shipping new so I jumped on it.You have the option for terminals but I opted to just add the o-ring ends and redo my old ground and starter wiring.

This pictures kinda crappy but its the only one I have.Im going to trim the j hooks eventually.To fit it there I just needed an adjustabletie down and new j hooks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Prices have gone up dramatically on the real ones, almost double in some cases. I'd like to mount mine closer to the firewall and fusebox, then put the catch can beside it in the horizontal position.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea I was going to post the site where I got it from but they want 119 now.
You should be able to mount it that way just get creative with making your own a tie down.I think you could mount it the way you want and make a tie down system out of L brackets bolted to the battery tray

edit: They are offering a 15 dollar discount code which puts it at 104

http://www.gotbatteries.com/it...105S5

Jegs has a cheaper battery I noticed last time I was there for 89.99 but I have no feedback on it so I'd look into their warranty.Same specs as the pc680

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs...63_-1

Modified by cbustuner at 3:58 AM 8/23/2007
Old 08-22-2007, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cbustuner)

i bent the fuel filter and line down, made a little L bracket that i secured to the studs for the brake lines and mounted it as pictured.. It was actually a lot easier than i thought it would be, just be careful not to get any kink in the line.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (adictionbass)

Nice job! I'd be worried about kinks, like you said, especially with the fuel line.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

need alot of room why not just relocate it...? Mine in the trunk
Old 08-23-2007, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sprockets &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nice job! I'd be worried about kinks, like you said, especially with the fuel line.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i was going to have to find somewhere to put the can. If it did kink, i was just going to buy a SS line kit for it so i wasnt too worried.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SHPrelude00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SHPrelude00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">need alot of room why not just relocate it...? Mine in the trunk</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't need a lot of room, just a little bit more. A tractor battery might even be small enough. I thought about getting a battery for the trunk, but then I'd be tempted to get that $400 B&R Tony 1 clone catch can, which fits directly where the old battery came from. I have to stop spending so much money on this car!
Old 08-23-2007, 11:29 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Default Re: (SHPrelude00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SHPrelude00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">need alot of room why not just relocate it...? Mine in the trunk</TD></TR></TABLE>

now you have less weight on your drive tires. i mean thats another school of thought.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you dont need that much more room, move the battery towards the passenger side more.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (redboost10)

cbustuner, sorry I didn't see your post. Thanks for the links.!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redboost10 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you dont need that much more room, move the battery towards the passenger side more. </TD></TR></TABLE>

There's not that much space between the battery and fuse box on my car.