Notices

How many of you are running a boosted honda with or without LSD

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many of you are running a boosted honda with or without LSD

Just wanted to know how are you managing traction without an LSD. I am looking to buy an OBX LSD but wanted to know if its worth the money. Back in 2009 I had a turbo type r 327whp and 256 torque, since the type r came with LSD, I remembered I still had traction issues first and second gear. Anyways what I am getting to is that I have never driven a turbo honda without LSD, and wanted to know how you guys manage the wheel spin and if it makes a big difference having one?
Old 11-30-2015, 08:28 AM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Re: How many of you are running a boosted honda with or without LSD

Having more tire and a stickier compound will help greatly. At higher boost levels, like 400+, boost by gear is a must.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Aradin
Having more tire and a stickier compound will help greatly. At higher boost levels, like 400+, boost by gear is a must.
Yes, that's correct. Having a sticky tire will make a big difference. I will be doing boost by gear. Are you running an LSD on your ride?
Old 11-30-2015, 08:41 AM
Premium Member

No. Never have so I don't really have a basis to judge both sides. I have had setups from 250-450whp in my Accord and am currently around 350whp. All with open diff transmissions. Current trans is a USDM H23 trans, which is middle ground gearing in H/F series land. It blows the tires off first and second this time of year but doesn't pull funny or anything unless it's wet out. Summer time it will dead hook second gear with no problems.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Todallybuilt
Just wanted to know how are you managing traction without an LSD. I am looking to buy an OBX LSD but wanted to know if its worth the money. Back in 2009 I had a turbo type r 327whp and 256 torque, since the type r came with LSD, I remembered I still had traction issues first and second gear. Anyways what I am getting to is that I have never driven a turbo honda without LSD, and wanted to know how you guys manage the wheel spin and if it makes a big difference having one?
Don't buy an OBX. The new ones are plagued with run-out issues. The old ones (which I have had since 2007) were able to be taken apart and rebuilt with new washers.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Don't buy an OBX. The new ones are plagued with run-out issues. The old ones (which I have had since 2007) were able to be taken apart and rebuilt with new washers.
Dude thanks for the tip, just in time before I bought it. I might end up buying a stock type r or Mfactory
Old 11-30-2015, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

I am running the mfactory and it has been great so far, 2.5 years and counting.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am running a Quaife LSD. I have had many transmissions in this car with and without LSD. I cut the same 60ft either way. It helps a whole lot around turns etc... but just launching from a dig...not so much.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:42 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Learn about the different TYPES of LSDs used for their purpose. for 400+whp BBG is NOT a must, if the purpose is different than 1/2 mile, 1 mile or drag racing.

A Type R Torsen, acts differently than a Quaife Helical, or MFactory Gear type.

This will help..

Limited slip differentials and their types

Basic Mechanics on Automotive Differentials

What is a Torsen LSD?

This works better than a simple "poll" or "what do YOU use?" type of thread.

Good luck.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

400+ here and i think bbg is not a must. definitely a good feature for some who cant control the pedal. what i notice goin from non-lsd, to having a lsd, is more managable wheel spin. i had wheel spin before i swapped my lsd in, but the amount of wheel spin was far worst. however im also on falken ziex 512s lol

09 mfactory helical here also
Old 11-30-2015, 02:28 PM
Premium Member

That's what I meant really. Poor wording on my part. Not an absolute necessity, just more of a very welcome convenience. Limiting the shock load to the tires with torque management is beneficial at power levels below 400 even. All depends on the setup.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running a stock, non-LSD gsr tranny. BBG is set up. MH 235-60-15 tires up front. I have no traction issues at 415 whp or 512whp with my current set up. In fact, I have scratched getting an LSD tranny off my list (for the time being) because it runs so well. Not daily driven but driven 2-4 times a week.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:21 AM
Swaggylicious

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think for most drag-raced Hondas, LSDs arent a complete necessity because for the most part Hondas torque rating isnt that high and if it is, it's way up in the rev range

For road race/auto x Hondas though, it's a different scenario
Old 12-03-2015, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC
I am running the mfactory and it has been great so far, 2.5 years and counting.
i also have an mfactory for the past 3 or 4 years. all good and well worth the money. before that i had an obx but one of the older ones. it worked well for a while until the washers cracked and i took it out. you can get the kit with new washers and hex bolts for around 40 bucks iirc
Old 12-04-2015, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Front mount traction bar will help too.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

410WHP here with H22 non-LSD. I've had no issues and the rare burnouts I do always spin both tires. I've never had a 1 wheel burnout before or traction issues. Most say with LSD you feel the pull in the corners the most. I imagine launches will improve but I don't do that with the car. And track performance will increase but I don't do that either. I do realize that the tranny is the weakest link so I am in the process of building a T2T4 with factory LSD and carbon syncros. Also on the car currently...

- ESP front traction bar
- 215/45/17 rubber
- Stage 4 Bully clutch

Hope this helps.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:44 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Raf99
Most say with LSD you feel the pull in the corners the most.
Depends upon the Type of LSD that's being used. It is unwise to use that blanket statement. Helical and Torsen LSDs cause a bit of torque steer (those are the words you're fighting for "pulling in the corners"), while clutch-types do not. Please read that article that was posted.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a stock em1 trans with an open diff and I ran 11.69. @117 with 321whp and 265ft-lb
Old 12-04-2015, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Spinning at lower gears really depends on turbo size, assuming you covered all the basics (nice suspension, tires, LSD, alignment, traction bar)... If you have a smaller GT28/GT30R or similar sized turbo, it comes in too abrupt at the lower RPM's and the power transition sucks, which makes it really hard to stick the power to the ground.

The transition of power is really important, as sometimes it is much better to sit at 170-200 lb-ft of torque for a few tenths of a second and then ramp up to grip most of the gear, rather than have all the torque kick in abruptly. Slower acceleration is always better than almost no acceleration (spin)

I did a lot of tweaking to get the boost soft in 1st/2nd gear so the tires just haze all the way to redline. The more redline you have, the easier it is to control it. The engine has to be efficient too, so there is easy control of power and it doesn't rely on the turbo to "wind up" to make some sort of power at the lower gears.

Picture your best car for street use is something that reflects a strong K20 all motor car for 1st and 2nd gear (which has engine response / throttle control and lots of redline as main advantages), and then when its time for 3rd gear, it becomes a 500+ WHP beast.

I usually manage 1st/2nd soft enough to keep up with most cars from 0-50 mph and never worry about blowing the tires loose so at least it is consistent, and then just ram all the power I got in 3rd gear which always sticks well. With our Honda's power to weight and gearing/redline advantage, we usually can pull back from almost any car within the same power level by 3rd (if you don't, time for more power dude).
Old 12-04-2015, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tony the Tiger
Spinning at lower gears really depends on turbo size, assuming you covered all the basics (nice suspension, tires, LSD, alignment, traction bar)... If you have a smaller GT28/GT30R or similar sized turbo, it comes in too abrupt at the lower RPM's and the power transition sucks, which makes it really hard to stick the power to the ground.

The transition of power is really important, as sometimes it is much better to sit at 170-200 lb-ft of torque for a few tenths of a second and then ramp up to grip most of the gear, rather than have all the torque kick in abruptly. Slower acceleration is always better than almost no acceleration (spin)

I did a lot of tweaking to get the boost soft in 1st/2nd gear so the tires just haze all the way to redline. The more redline you have, the easier it is to control it. The engine has to be efficient too, so there is easy control of power and it doesn't rely on the turbo to "wind up" to make some sort of power at the lower gears.

Picture your best car for street use is something that reflects a strong K20 all motor car for 1st and 2nd gear (which has engine response / throttle control and lots of redline as main advantages), and then when its time for 3rd gear, it becomes a 500+ WHP beast.

I usually manage 1st/2nd soft enough to keep up with most cars from 0-50 mph and never worry about blowing the tires loose so at least it is consistent, and then just ram all the power I got in 3rd gear which always sticks well. With our Honda's power to weight and gearing/redline advantage, we usually can pull back from almost any car within the same power level by 3rd (if you don't, time for more power dude).
Excellent answer Tony