Notices

How many of you have fire extinguishers in your car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How many of you have fire extinguishers in your car?

...and have you ever had to use it?

Reason I ask is because my buddy just got his STi back today after getting some work done. A short time after leaving the shop, he noticed black smoke coming in his dash vents. About the same time he came upon some traffic and during his slow down, flames began shooting out of the scoop. Needless to say by then it was too late and as the fire spread, his car is was totally destroyed. Hes extremely angry and devastated. All the hardwork and a 450whp pump gas STi down the drain.

Oddly enough I was just thinking about picking up an extinguisher for my own car for when my build is complete. Now I know without a doubt that will be the next thing I buy.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one, and have not had to use it yet. (knock on wood) I was in the same situation, was planning on buying one and then my friends car caught fire.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How many of you have fire extinguishers in your car? (clip the apex)

I like your name... that's in reference to the dillinger escape plan? clip the apex... accept instruction.

anyway i'd rather die in a fire than rock a chrome apc fire extinguisher. besides fire extinguishers are extra weight and fire makes your car lighter.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: How many of you have fire extinguishers in your car? (Justin Jones)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Justin Jones &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anyway i'd rather die in a fire than rock a chrome apc fire extinguisher. </TD></TR></TABLE> There is also a certain type of fire extinguisher needed if I have heard correctly so the foam doesn't eat away at the onboard wiring or corrode the materials sprayed on.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How many of you have fire extinguishers in your car? (clip the apex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by clip the apex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...and have you ever had to use it?

Reason I ask is because my buddy just got his STi back today after getting some work done. A short time after leaving the shop, he noticed black smoke coming in his dash vents. About the same time he came upon some traffic and during his slow down, flames began shooting out of the scoop. Needless to say by then it was too late and as the fire spread, his car is was totally destroyed. Hes extremely angry and devastated. All the hardwork and a 450whp pump gas STi down the drain.

Oddly enough I was just thinking about picking up an extinguisher for my own car for when my build is complete. Now I know without a doubt that will be the next thing I buy. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Will he insurance cover the automobile? I watched a few cars burn to the ground (none were mine) and despite them being nothing more then metal, glass, and plastic, it must be a devastating feeling seeing your car burn before you.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How many of you have fire extinguishers in your car? (Accord94DX)

i had had one in my car when it was a street car just a small one i got from home depot i think i can rememeber but its better safe than sorry
Old 05-25-2006, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

after i saw that vid on the net of that VW GTI burning to the ground, and it started with such a tiny fire in the firewall/dash from the turbo heat resistant material

i carry one
Old 05-25-2006, 08:15 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: (mrbsponge)

i will be putting in a fire supression system in my car. most likely a halotron extinguisher that has been plumbed throughout the car.. cockpit, fuel cell, engine bay, etc
Old 05-25-2006, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (wantboost)

I think anybody who has see a buddies car burn down to the ground goes out and buys a fire extinguisher the next day. Friends 56 oval ragtop vw, magnesium block+ cheap fuel pump= ashes. ouch! that thing was beautiful!
Old 05-25-2006, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (abnaasefmb)

i got one of those apc fire extinguishers on my pillar,,people call it rice and call me a ricer all the time but f$ck them..
Old 05-26-2006, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

there are different types of extinguishers for car use?

Im not sure whats gonna happen with my friends car as far as insurance goes. Im sure his insurance would cover it since he has full coverage, and the trooper taking the report said he would help out as best he can. But I know he is trying to get the shop or Perrin to take responsibility because apparently it was related to a broken injector/fuel line (Perrin). How they determined that Im not sure, but the guys at the shop went to the scene, were extremely pissed and think its Perrins fault. This is a very reputable shop from my understanding so we will see.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mr.speaker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr.speaker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i got one of those apc fire extinguishers on my pillar</TD></TR></TABLE>

+1
Old 05-26-2006, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Justin Jones &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">fire makes your car lighter.</TD></TR></TABLE>
LMAO!!!!

I've been meaning to get a small extinguisher for my car as well. It DEFINITELY won't be mounted anywhere visible but will be readily accessible.

I think pepboys has little ones for like $15. Now that I'm thinking about it I'm not sure why I haven't done this yet...
Old 05-26-2006, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How many of you have fire extinguishers in your car? (notoriousB)

yea i put 1 in my car
Old 05-26-2006, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (clip the apex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by clip the apex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there are different types of extinguishers for car use?

Im not sure whats gonna happen with my friends car as far as insurance goes. Im sure his insurance would cover it since he has full coverage, and the trooper taking the report said he would help out as best he can. But I know he is trying to get the shop or Perrin to take responsibility because apparently it was related to a broken injector/fuel line (Perrin). How they determined that Im not sure, but the guys at the shop went to the scene, were extremely pissed and think its Perrins fault. This is a very reputable shop from my understanding so we will see. </TD></TR></TABLE>
safe drives has good extinguishers for sale
http://www.safedrives.com/products.asp?cat=32

Old 05-26-2006, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SOHCD16y8)

I have one in my trunk mounted to the to the floor. is it ricey? some might say...its out of site and never used for bling purpose.

however if my car does decide to go up in flames (whether it be from a fuel fire, electirical or whatefver) im sure not gonna sit there and watch it happen....at least im gonna go out with a fight.

to me, its essential.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the above link
Old 05-26-2006, 09:08 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Justin Jones &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I like your name... that's in reference to the dillinger escape plan? clip the apex... accept instruction.

anyway i'd rather die in a fire than rock a chrome apc fire extinguisher. besides fire extinguishers are extra weight and fire makes your car lighter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha
Old 05-26-2006, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got one mounted in the rear of my car.

My car has caught on fire due to faulty wiring from a shitty shop. It's a good investment to have.

They should be inspected every month for damage and proper psi (should be in the green range), and every 7 years they should be hydrostatically be tested (get a new one its cheaper).

A small to medium BC extinguisher works well. Halon is the best if you can still find them (can't in Canada).
Old 05-26-2006, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got one....its attached to my rollbar for easy access .... just in case mine or someone elses car catches on fire...
Old 05-26-2006, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PhantomX)

i have one now.. because my last car cought on fire due to my oil return excevly leakin onto my DP .. but i never had one in that car and once i saw flames i dint kno wtf to do.. people pulled over and dumped some water bottles they had.. but due to the fire being there for like 2 mins it fuckd my radiator n AC lines.. but engine and car was ok.. thanks GOD ii ALWAYS HAVE ONE
Old 05-26-2006, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you dont have to buy a ricer APC extinguisher. I went to menards and got one of those medium size ones for like 15 bucks thats ABC rated and dry.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:12 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: (SOHCD16y8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHCD16y8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you dont have to buy a ricer APC extinguisher. I went to menards and got one of those medium size ones for like 15 bucks thats ABC rated and dry. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's exactly what I picked up from Home Depot.. I got their Kitchen Fire extinguishers. I'd rather be heavier by 5 lbs than have my engine aflame.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TheShodan)

I have one
Old 05-26-2006, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I saw a single turbo Toyota Supra burn to the ground a couple years back. Opened my eyes. I was driving a friend's 500+whp DA Integra one day. Driving to the part's store the horn wouldnt stop. I hit it a couple times and it stopped. Started again when I turned. Smoke started coming from the steering wheel. I pulled the car over and unhooked the battery. The smoke stopped. Hooked it back up and I could see the wires grounding out. Long story short I fixed that problem but it gave me a scare. Do I have one in my car now? No Thanks for the reminder though

&lt;Edit&gt;
3rd Gen RX-7's had a recall due to a fuel leak. A lady I know down the street had to have her engine rebuilt and body work due to this.
&lt;/Edit&gt;

Quick Reply: How many of you have fire extinguishers in your car?