Notices

how many of you have blown your motors with FI? (not including nitrous)

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how many of you have blown your motors with FI? (not including nitrous)

i was looking at getting a 2000 si and boosting it with the greddy kit, but it is going to be my daily driver. i was wondering from you experienced guys if that is a smart move or shoudl i stay away from boost all together. please share any and all horror stories or success stories. please state your FI setup(kit, turbo size, etc.) and how long it took to blow your motor from the day you started bloosting and what was the problem. this is just so I could get an idea what i should do. thanks
Old 11-12-2003, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow man......... you officially just posted the most broad question i have ever read.......

hope u got the flame suit on........
Old 11-12-2003, 08:44 PM

Default Re: (sloorex)

yeah i know it's pretty broad. if you guys could just answer a few of my questions it's cool. my main concern is if it was worth it to you experienced guys or is it too much of a headache. please do not say boosting is the greatest and i should do it if you have only had your kit on for a few thousand miles. i am concerned about reliability, although i know you sacrifice it as soon as you mod it but i just want an idea about the headache i am getting myself into.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:45 PM

Default Re: how many of you have blown your motors with FI? (civicjdmgsr)

3 out of the 4 pistons I cracked the ringlands at 9psi of boost, but you have to realize that was on a 12:1 fmu and stock injectors not tuned So what I'm tring to say if you want a turbo honda as a daily driver any not worry about blowing your motor then the only advice is read up H-T and tune and tune and tune
Old 11-12-2003, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how many of you have blown your motors with FI? (9psiTurboSI)

just search dude, youll find more than you want if you search then if you can find a answer to one of your questions then post it up man, good luck
Old 11-12-2003, 09:19 PM

Default Re: (civicjdmgsr)

Short answer yes it is worth the risk. Long answer try searching guys post about horror stories all the time. Guys post about what psi to run atleast once a day. Search is your friend. People around here don't like answering the same questions day in and day out. The answers are out there look for them.

Jake d.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:24 AM

when you drive a turbo civic you end up not caring too much about blowing you just do what you gotta do to prevent it. and alwayse keep that spare block in the corner of your garage. I get more pissed about getting a tow truck than blowing a motor.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nigel)

my 99 si wasn't blown but it was starting to use a good amount of oil
is 2-3 quarts a lot?
Old 11-13-2003, 03:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ebp 99 si)

I think it was a little more than that when you got on it before the ******* theives stole it!!!

It looked a james bond smoke screen coming out of the back of the car

BrIaN
Old 11-13-2003, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Just Drank A 5th of VODKA Dare me to drive, Ca, u.s.
Default Re: (TurbodCX)

fresh rebuild, 3000 miles on the dot, 65 mph in 5th gear, and she just decided to throw a shot peened rod right out the back of the block! (that was motor #2)!
Old 11-13-2003, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Default Re: (Chpt1onBOOST [DMV])

You guys are scaring him away from boost, but I guess we all have different experiences. Let me share mine.

I'm a broke *** college student, just like 70% of all the other H-Ters. I got a used greddy turbo kit with blue box fuel management for $900. I installed the kit myself in August (with some help from friends, you know who you are) and it's been running perfectly for the last two months. Spools quickly, pulls fairly well at 7 psi, and is reliable just as much as it was stock. The only problems I have/had were a loose feed line (fixed, my fault to start with), and a slipping clutch (from too much HP ). Otherwise I have no problems with my car. Here's my quote that I made to live by when it comes to cars.

Do it once.
Do it right.
Do regular maintenance.
Leave it the **** alone.

Boost that bitch!
Old 11-13-2003, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostincoupe)

Put holes in 2 sleeves, cracked the other two from overboosting to 2 BAR

I had it on for nearly a year before it blew, and I'm throwing another stock block in soon... You can really minimize the risk by buying quality parts and getting tuned properly.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:13 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chpt1onBOOST [DMV &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">]fresh rebuild, 3000 miles on the dot, 65 mph in 5th gear, and she just decided to throw a shot peened rod right out the back of the block! (that was motor #2)! </TD></TR></TABLE>

what turbo kit and how much boost?
Old 11-13-2003, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: how many of you have blown your motors with FI? (civicjdmgsr)

I grenaded my stock ZC about a month ago...

my oil pump inlet got cloged with peices of headgasket, it spun a bearing, and boost caused the #3 rod to shoot through the block.

Good times...
Old 11-13-2003, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chpt1onBOOST [DMV &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">]fresh rebuild, 3000 miles on the dot, 65 mph in 5th gear, and she just decided to throw a shot peened rod right out the back of the block! (that was motor #2)! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Any ideas as to why or how this happened? Was the rebuild done incorrectly?

Khoi
Old 11-14-2003, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Just Drank A 5th of VODKA Dare me to drive, Ca, u.s.
Default Re: (Sohc Driver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sohc Driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Any ideas as to why or how this happened? Was the rebuild done incorrectly?

Khoi</TD></TR></TABLE>

well, the turbo kit is custom with a t3/t4, tial gate...it's all about the fuel management, if you are a dork like me and can't have somebody flex on you these are the things that happen! the car did not have a good tune either, so it went boom! when you guys put in a fresh motor in DO NOT push it, break it in correctly and you will not end up in the same boat as me! sometimes it is best to spend the extra mony instead of cutting corners to get the project done! my current set up will sit in the garage until it is "ready"! do it right the first time! don't be afraid of boost just don't let it get you too hungry for more! (damn it sound like i'm talking about drugs!)
Old 11-14-2003, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do everything right the first time. Double check. Ask questions like I did. Cross your fingers. And you'll have great luck with the setup.

I'm having great luck with the thing. It's amazing how well it works for what's done. It was done right. Cept for the "hack" hehe. BUt that works good enough too.

1.5 months and still working great
Old 11-14-2003, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chpt1onBOOST [DMV &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">]

well, the turbo kit is custom with a t3/t4, tial gate...it's all about the fuel management, if you are a dork like me and can't have somebody flex on you these are the things that happen! the car did not have a good tune either, so it went boom! when you guys put in a fresh motor in DO NOT push it, break it in correctly and you will not end up in the same boat as me! sometimes it is best to spend the extra mony instead of cutting corners to get the project done! my current set up will sit in the garage until it is "ready"! do it right the first time! don't be afraid of boost just don't let it get you too hungry for more! (damn it sound like i'm talking about drugs!)</TD></TR></TABLE>

So your saying that the motor gave out because you weren't informed of the fact that it needed to be broken in? Whew...I was just afraid to hear that you had one of the freak motors that just give out for no apparent reason...praise the lord that thats still uncommon...

Khoi