Notices

how many of you build your own engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how many of you build your own engine?

just wondering who builds their own engine..is it hard? or is it easy..like just buy the parts and install the pistons, rods.. etc?
Old 08-31-2004, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how many of you build your own engine? (whitetyper)

A little more to it.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:53 PM

Default Re: how many of you build your own engine? (TGARCIARACING)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TGARCIARACING &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A little more to it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Quite a lot.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:59 PM

Default Re: how many of you build your own engine? (redteg_87)

its quite easy, but i work for a custom rod shop

we have a guy in a wheel chair that asembles motors He also has a 10sec street mustang

be smart take your time, make sure you plasti-gauge everything, also take your time cutting your rings...always glue your seals in, and remember to lube everything, but you dont need to much asembly lube or u will just squeze the excess out...always prime the motor, torque your head in the correct sequence....make 100% sure you timming belt it correct

it mean, dont be stupid take your tiem and u will be fine
Old 08-31-2004, 11:31 PM

Default Re: how many of you build your own engine? (david_rg79)

I'll tell you this, its is not like installing a Exhaust or a CAI. When you deal with any internal work its all about tolerances.

It just takes a lot of time and measuring. Just make sure you have the right tools for the job (ie. torque wrench, plastigauge, ring filer, etc.) Also get a Helms manual and you will be all set.

GL
Old 08-31-2004, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how many of you build your own engine? (eddyboy)

i put my bottom end together. it's not extremely hard. just have to make sure your within your specs for bearings, and gotta know your torque specs, and get a helms and take your time. if you dont have alot of knowledge or experience with engines i dont suggest you do it.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:00 AM
SYD
Honda-Tech Member

I build my own setups also....take your time, make sure everything is clean,, and theres nothing wrong with checking things over and over and over..(u get the point).u can never do this too much!!.DO NOT RUSH..(obviously doesnt apply to some racers and teams)..with experience and time u will advance..dont be affraid to try (unless u cant afford the down time if things dont go your way) u can only learn so much from reading and asking questions, gotta take a chance every once and a while..good luck
Old 09-01-2004, 04:51 AM

Not being a dick but seriously if your asking questions about what it takes then you dont need to be doing the job.
There is alot of information on motor building. I would sugest reading up on it and taking some kind of hands on class at your local tech school. Nothing beats hands on experience.
in answer to the question. I build all my own motors as well as motors for customers and I dont find it to be that hard. At the same time I have done it over and over. I also went to school for it.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how many of you build your own engine? (Stickdeath)

he just asked a simple question... he never said he was building anything.. everyone has to start somewhere... dont berate him by telling him he has no business working on an engine.. he is obviously making an effort to learn by asking
Old 09-01-2004, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: how many of you build your own engine? (Stickdeath)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stickdeath &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not being a dick but seriously if your asking questions about what it takes then you dont need to be doing the job.
There is alot of information on motor building. I would sugest reading up on it and taking some kind of hands on class at your local tech school. Nothing beats hands on experience.
in answer to the question. I build all my own motors as well as motors for customers and I dont find it to be that hard. At the same time I have done it over and over. I also went to school for it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree with him

i have also built all my engines
he should start by helping someone who does know. and take it from there
Old 09-01-2004, 06:46 AM

Default Re: how many of you build your own engine? (USDM 4G VTEC)

I'm building my motor right now, never built a motor before in my life before that... its not bad if you have a place to work, money for tools and parts, and know how to search for the right info... oh and of course take your time and be patient.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:49 AM

Default Re: how many of you build your own engine? (turbosi03)

Im rebuilding my d16y7 this winter.. This will be my first Honda build but ill see how it goes.. Rebuilding the d-series motors is great because if you screw up you just throw it away and try again..
Old 09-01-2004, 07:00 AM

clean area to work is the #1 thing IMO... otherwise its an uphil battle trying to keep everything clean.

other then that... patience, carefully measuring things... and you'll be fine.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:11 AM

Default Re: (pete98m3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pete98m3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">clean area to work is the #1 thing IMO... otherwise its an uphil battle trying to keep everything clean.

other then that... patience, carefully measuring things... and you'll be fine. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I hear that... clean is the way to go... here this thread shows what I'm up too if your interested in seeing a beginner engine build.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=962624
Old 09-01-2004, 09:05 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is all you need
http://www.boosted-hybrid.com/viewtopic.php?t=326
Old 09-01-2004, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how many of you build your own engine? (david_rg79)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by david_rg79 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its quite easy, but i work for a custom rod shop

we have a guy in a wheel chair that asembles motors He also has a 10sec street mustang

be smart take your time, make sure you plasti-gauge everything, also take your time cutting your rings...always glue your seals in, and remember to lube everything, but you dont need to much asembly lube or u will just squeze the excess out...always prime the motor, torque your head in the correct sequence....make 100% sure you timming belt it correct

it mean, dont be stupid take your tiem and u will be fine</TD></TR></TABLE>

what would scare me more is how the guy in the wheelchair drives a 10 second mustang !
Old 09-01-2004, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

built my own, its not 100% easy, research, books, and some common sense, not trying to make it sound easy, but with homework, and practice on some stock stuff, i can now do it, so far, no problems with any that i have built
Old 09-01-2004, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how many of you build your own engine? (mp3albums2k2)

building a motor is like baking a cake...but it can get really messy if u don't know what you're doing. Everything must be PRECISE.

i remember when i rebuilt my motor 2 years ago...it was an AWESOME feeling when the motor started up with 1 CRANK
Old 09-01-2004, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how many of you build your own engine? (BG Boost)

Old 09-02-2004, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how many of you build your own engine? (BG Boost)

i know EXACTLY what u mean, when everything is done, and the oil pump is primed , kick that ignition on and it fires rite up with no problems, cant beat that feeling. its like all the 10pm-2am research, reading, learning, after highschool and working pays off.