Notices

How to: make Cold air Intake for turbo for Ramhorn/Cast Log

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to: make Cold air Intake for turbo for Ramhorn/Cast Log

i notice that alot of honda guys are rocking turbos with no filter watsoever. after doing the same and having to change oil very often cus of all the debree the turbo would suck, i decided to custom make my own. when i made my own intake i decided to take it with me to the dyno session and test out if i truly gained power. after making sure all conditions were the same, temps, etc, i dynoed my car with same boost with intake and no intake. i have my results in another post but in conclusion i gain around 5 to 8 midrange hp and trq, and just 1.5 at peak rpm, and although it isnt much its still a gain and most importantly its protecting my turbo from construction cites, bugs, and rocks and leaves during the fall.

heres a pic of my new 4 inch intake i just made this morning for my bigger turbo. previously i had a smaller turbo with a 3 inch intake.

materials:
-1 piece of universal mandrel bent aluminum piping
the width of piping must match or be bigger than intake opening in turbo compressor and should never be reduced($20 to $40)
- one 45 degree bend silicone hose(preferably black to look oem style)
in my case i used a 3 to 4 inch silicone hose with a 45 degree bend ($8)
-one straight silicone hose (width of piping)
- one large 6 to 9 inch air filter($10 to $30)

as for how to do it, that is self explanatory through my pictures. i got my stuff from the warehouse at cxracing. there is never a need to buy brand name piping cus mandrel bent is mandrel bent. no such thing as ebay mandrel bent, if it not stragith then its not mandrel period. i got a spectre brand air filter if anyone is wondering. a large filter is very important, and prob more important than the width of intake piping.

i for dam sure got horsepower from this mod and is obviously felt on the butt dyno. my turbo was completly blocked from grill due to large intercooler and wasnt getting any fresh air and now when i step on it, you can literally hear the turbo spool from your driver side fender like a jet's turbine and sounds siiickkk and draws in cold air from outside rather than engine bay.
Attached Images    
Old 12-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to: make Cold air Intake for turbo for Ramhorn/Cast Log

let me kno if anyone copies this design, send me pics, i wanna see how it looks in other cars. by the way i have 2.5 inch charge piping and a traction bar and when doing this mod i noticed that iwth traction bars and 2.5 inch piping, 4 inch is the biggest width you can go without hitting tire, chassis, or frame. im hoping my new 4 inch intake isnt overkill. gona test it when i rent out the dyno. gona test 3 inch intake, 4 inch intake, only filter on turbo, and last no intake.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That's gonna suck in the rain.... any sort of puddle will get sucked up
Old 12-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Rotate that so that it sits in the engine bay, not in front of the wheel. That is a super bad idea how you have it setup. It's safer to just have a screen rather than a filter in front of a wheel.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

I'm running my filter so it sits behind the front upper grill (ek civic)

That's the best place to put it as you get cold air without the risk of turning your car into a water pump. It would be better to put the filter behind the front of bumper away from the wheel... as in point the filter towards the front or physically ,move it sideways to the front of the bumper
Old 12-12-2012, 04:21 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by wantboost

That's the best place to put it as you get cold air without the risk of turning your car into a water pump. It would be better to put the filter behind the front of bumper away from the wheel... as in point the filter towards the front or physically ,move it sideways to the front of the bumper
Also get one of those AEM or K&N Hydro Shield for that filter. I'm using a 4" steel pipe as my intake pointing downward towards the corner of the front bumper. Kept the fenderwell lining.

Inside view with the filter and hydroshield off - sorry for bad cell phone pic

Old 12-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Now I can see the full aerodynamic profile of that wheel lol
Old 12-12-2012, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Dont even need to go that far. 90' coupler off the turbo to a custom size K&N filter. You can just see it.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:05 PM

Hahaha. won't be that way for long.. yuck yuck yuck..
Old 12-12-2012, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Dont even need to go that far. 90' coupler off the turbo to a custom size K&N filter. You can just see it.
I get what you're saying. i just didn't want any collapse of that coupler on that type of bend. we just happened to have some 4" steel from a custom turbo 6.0L GTO that me and my buddy was working on.

Last edited by TheShodan; 12-12-2012 at 06:15 PM. Reason: grammar correction
Old 12-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Yea I'd be concerned about that couple collapsing under high vacuum
Old 12-12-2012, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone done before and after iat readings? I wonder if its worth doing . I just run my filter on the turbo .
Old 12-12-2012, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by joe b
Has anyone done before and after iat readings? I wonder if its worth doing . I just run my filter on the turbo .
Maybe some air inlet temps at the compressor wheel, but that just helps with lowering the amount of heat compressed during the conversion to pressurized air before the intercooler (which is about a few degrees but nothing to write home about).

Its only a few degrees and has little effect once it hits the intercooler to truly act as a heat exchanger. Once it hits the throttle body the temps at the compressor inlet are typically negated as the air has already traveled too far to get a full reading.

I did it more for spacing concerns than any real "cold air" effects. It was a great way to fit a filter to protect the turbo and still use a nice solid piece to secure it.

Last edited by TheShodan; 12-12-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:10 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it probably wouldnt be so bad if you had the splashguard in
Old 12-13-2012, 03:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Yea I'd be concerned about that couple collapsing under high vacuum
We'll see when the boost gets turned up.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's gonna suck in the rain.... any sort of puddle will get sucked up
yea that applies too cold air intakes, thats why i have a tiny flathead so that if it ever rains, im in socal by the way, barely ever does, then i just put the filter directly on turbo. problem fixed but i dont have too. it rarely rains and when it does i use my s2000 to drift
Old 12-15-2012, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea thats why i get jeolous when i see a ek turbo civic cus they can do that. unfortuanly our integra doesnt have any opening on usdm fronts and with big intercoolers the air never hits it directly. and on top of that u can see their turbo when their ek has a topmount, looks sick!
Old 12-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

for all the people and their concerns dont worry. i been driving like this for over a year with my intake coming out through there and when it rains i just put filter on turbo directly or i just flip it so it sits right by powersteering pump but honestly it barely ever rains and thats why i got my rwd s2k for(drifitng).

if you buy quality silicone hoses they will not collapse lol, dont get the shity *** single or dual or triple layerd ones. the couplers i use are 4 layers thick and i did it in four inch just to have basically no restriction watsoever.

and since im trying to make as much power as efficiently as possible i have my intake like that like the shodan said, it does increase temps even though he said their not worth writing about which i dont agree cus every hp, trq, weight, and aero matters in my book especialy in a drag race or circuit

to those that say if the iats dropped, i can say that their much more consistent and usually always pretty cold iat temps like 70 to 105 degrees but i cannot say 100% that it does but theoreticaly it should and when i have my intake inside my engine bay my airfuel ratios run slightly lumpier vs the intake drawing cold air from wheel well.

i mean it seems logical to me that if i had a heater attached and blowing to my turbo with a intercooler blowing fresh air through it, it would still make less power, (possibly by 1 or 2 hp, but still technically less) than having a turbo sucking from a fan blowing really cold air and having fresh air hit intercooler as well.

but yes if your in a rainy area then completly forget about this mod, cus you will suck water from a puddle if you hit one. and when i dynoed my car a while back i had same existing conditions and boost curve and made more midrange torque by like 8hp and an extra 1 to 2hp on top.

to me that 8 more torque and protection from rocks and debree is worth having that intake
Old 12-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had answers to the other concerns but honestly not for this one.

can you please explain to me how having my filter right there will affect my aerodynamics? i figured that with the tire spinning forward, that it will also shoots air in front and behind the tire but you say it will affect my aerodynamics. could you explain how, any help is appreciated. if this intake is affecting my aero then i don't want to have it, but honestly i don't really notice any extra drag or anything.
thanks
Old 12-18-2012, 02:10 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

I was talking about his compressor wheel lol
The tire won't push air forward, where the filter is the air is being sucked out of that area, since its in a low pressure area.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

o ok lol. i was like noooo hahah. cuz i do alot of highway driving at 80mph where aerodynamics do play a role especially for mpg. thanks for reply