Notices

how long will it take to burn out the oil in my exhaust???

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how long will it take to burn out the oil in my exhaust???

ok its a 94 integra b16 fully built with a gt30r. i thought the turbo seals where bad because it smoked like crazy. fixed that problem, cleaned out most of the exhaust and downpipe. but it still smokes a little and alot under boost. i have only driven it for about 30 miles. how long do you think until the oil burns out of the exhaust??? thanks alot
Old 09-14-2008, 03:51 PM

Default Re: how long will it take to burn out the oil in my exhaust??? (gt30rintegra)

anyone?
Old 09-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how long will it take to burn out the oil in my exhaust??? (gt30rintegra)

i had the same problem, i noticed the oil dried up pretty quick, but i kept smoking, i replaced my valve guide seals and rebuild my shortblock and it still did it, turned out to be the turbo, i just bought a new one cause i don't trust ball bearing turbonetics and thas what i had.

How did you fix the seals on the GT30r? Those things are not rebuildable...
Old 09-14-2008, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how long will it take to burn out the oil in my exhaust??? (blinx9900)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blinx9900 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had the same problem, i noticed the oil dried up pretty quick, but i kept smoking, i replaced my valve guide seals and rebuild my shortblock and it still did it, turned out to be the turbo, i just bought a new one cause i don't trust ball bearing turbonetics and thas what i had.

How did you fix the seals on the GT30r? Those things are not rebuildable...</TD></TR></TABLE>

really? i was looking for companies to rebuild my turbo and garret gt30r rebuild was offered. weird
Old 09-14-2008, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how long will it take to burn out the oil in my exhaust??? (jdm_dc_fan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm_dc_fan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

really? i was looking for companies to rebuild my turbo and garret gt30r rebuild was offered. weird </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm sure some people try to hack it out but through Garrett there is only an exchange program, the Garret unit is a balanced CHRA from Garrett and can only be purchased that way, basically you sent Garrett your bad CHRA and some cash and they send you a new one...
Old 09-15-2008, 12:04 AM

Default Re: how long will it take to burn out the oil in my exhaust??? (blinx9900)

its rebuildable, but not in the same manner a journal bearing turbo is. that being said, even a journal bearing turbo is hard to rebuild. taking the turbo apart, sandblasting all the housings, and throwing in a rebuild kit is not considered to be the proper way to rebuild a turbo. if the shop is not competent enough and doesn't have the necessary machinery (grinders, honing machine, lathes, milling machines, balance machine, assorted sleeves, etc) the rebuild will be crap.
The oil in your exhaust will take a while to burn off because it is essentialy steaming inside the exhaust and downpipe, rather than being burned directly (for example, worn rings). My brother had an ancient honda trail bike that had a worn engine, he rebuilt it, and it still smoked. He ended up taking his exhaust off and pressure washing it thoroughly, only then after 5 hours of running did it stop smoking. Are you running an oil restrictor with that turbo? I suggest leak down test as usual. And remember a little bit of smoke is not bad. I see it all the time on the dyno, especially with 300+ hp forced induction applications. Its just something you have to live with.