Notices

how long time did you 15G last ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how long time did your 15G last ?

I think mine is gonna take a **** in the near future, it smells like burning oit since two weeks ago And I put it brand new an year ago, drove like 20K miles with it ..

So how long did yours do fine ?
Old 03-22-2006, 09:38 PM

Default Re: how long time did your 15G last ? (miro_gt)

I bought my Greddy kit used (unknown miles) and I have been boosted with this turbo daily for about 1 year, roughly 20k miles. I hope mine doesn't take a **** too soon!!

-ERIK
Old 03-22-2006, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how long time did your 15G last ? (dseriesdrag)

if mine blows, ill use it as an excuse to buy the gt28r i have always wanted
Old 03-22-2006, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the 18G. I bought it used. I think it was about 2 years old when I bought it. I added another 3 years.

So it's up to 5 years now. Still running good.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:43 PM

Default Re: (Maxime)

do you just smell oil or have you checked your oil level and actually lost some. In most cases you just have a small oil leak from say the feed or return line and you can just smell it burning off.

If you have access to a lift, put the car on there and raise it up. Just drive the car slowly to 30mph and keep it there for 5 or so minutes while you have someone looking under the car to see of any leakage. Bring the car into boost but not to hard and checj for more leaks...

Let me know what happens..

Hopefully its not the turbo!

Josh
Old 03-28-2006, 06:46 AM

Default Re: (joshualaliberte)

10x for the replies guys ..

it may not be the turbo. I have some doubts that under boost my oil dip stick may pop out a bit and some small oil may spray on the top of the turbo, and therefore it burns out and I can small it, and even see some smoke for like 30 sec. when I stop and open the hood. My dip stick is prety loose on the tube, and is half destroyed already - I'm having hard times with those, they keep burning the rubber thing due to the heat around .. My PCV for the block is just an open line, and for the valve cover I run a catch can that goes to the turbo inlet - this is my 4th way of doing the PCV I think However, I havent taken any pipes off the turbo yet, so I'm not sure.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (miro_gt)

doesnt seem like its the turbo.

is there smoke coming out your exhaust??
is there oil in your charge pipes (right off the turbo)??

before coming to that conclusion, i'd remove the turbo to inspect it.

i had a greddy 15g on my car for over 2 years. i bought it used from someone who had used it for id say 2-3 years. so this thing had been used pretty well. i never saw smoke out my exhaust (seals on the turbine side going bad) or oil in the charge pipes (seals on the compressor side going bad).
Old 03-28-2006, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Default Re: (nerdsports)

I ran my Greddy 15G for 2.5 yrs. It currently has ~ ~49k on it?

Greddy turbos are good to ~90-100k if you treat them right
Old 03-28-2006, 09:36 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: (boostincoupe)

I got mine used in October of 2004 and it's been fine. It's leaking some oil, but nothing too noticable.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:27 AM

Default Re: (BauleyCivic)

The 15Gs are TD04 15Gs, correct?

If so, would this kit replace blown seals? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItem

The reason I ask is because my TD04 14G is leaking oil through the compressor (and more than likely through the exhaust) and I'd like to rebuild it.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:39 PM

Default Re: (Everyones Hero)

how hard it would be to rebuild the turbo ?

still seeing the same smoke for like 30s after I stop the car - it's from the middle of the turbo, more like the compressor part .. I haven't noticed any oil loses yet ..

don't realy have time to work on the car, but I guess I'll have to take out some pipes realy soon

otherwise, it boosts well ?!?! I run 9psi, which falls to 8 at the top end
Old 04-02-2006, 06:30 PM

Default Re: (miro_gt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by miro_gt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how hard it would be to rebuild the turbo ?

still seeing the same smoke for like 30s after I stop the car - it's from the middle of the turbo, more like the compressor part .. I haven't noticed any oil loses yet ..

don't realy have time to work on the car, but I guess I'll have to take out some pipes realy soon

otherwise, it boosts well ?!?! I run 9psi, which falls to 8 at the top end</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not sure how hard or how long it would take to rebuild one, but I'm going to find out soon.

I've found ebay kits for around $80 shipped for TD04 turbos. I figure it beats the $250 it would cost to send it to a shop and have it rebuilt, especially since the turbo probably wouldn't be worth $250 if I tried to sell it.

edit: So far mine is running fine. I'm running a 14G (I suppose it's smaller than a 15G) at 15psi daily and the car is still running hard. I'm hoping it'll spool faster and run harder with a rebuild, though.

I'm just not sure if that rebuild kit has everything I need to rebuild it. Like seals and all that other stuff. If anyone would be willing to look over that kit I posted or post a kit that has everything needed to rebuild one I would really appreciate it.

-Nick
Old 04-09-2006, 03:21 PM

today it smoked quite a bit after I raced some guy on the highway. I haven't taken any pipes out, but I'm prety sure the turbo is going bad. Oh well ..
Old 04-24-2006, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Everyones Hero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not sure how hard or how long it would take to rebuild one, but I'm going to find out soon.

I've found ebay kits for around $80 shipped for TD04 turbos. I figure it beats the $250 it would cost to send it to a shop and have it rebuilt, especially since the turbo probably wouldn't be worth $250 if I tried to sell it.

edit: So far mine is running fine. I'm running a 14G (I suppose it's smaller than a 15G) at 15psi daily and the car is still running hard. I'm hoping it'll spool faster and run harder with a rebuild, though.

I'm just not sure if that rebuild kit has everything I need to rebuild it. Like seals and all that other stuff. If anyone would be willing to look over that kit I posted or post a kit that has everything needed to rebuild one I would really appreciate it.

-Nick</TD></TR></TABLE>why not upgrade to a 18g for a little bit more? Ordo i not know what i'm talking about?