Notices

How long do you usually let the turbo cool down?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How long do you usually let the turbo cool down?

Just curious what you people do, my apexi TT has an automatic mode and it usually lets the turbo cool down about 1 minute and 30 seconds or so after I finish driving. Its a water/oil cooled t25 btw.

This is just for average driving, not top speed bazooka fun happy go shopkart fujiyama 300km/h speed trials or dyno pulls or whatever.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:22 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How long do you usually let the turbo cool down? (Accord94DX)

usually 1min 30 sec like the default settting on my TT ... but sometimes 3-4 min after a long drive on the freeway cruising at like 70-80 mph
Old 07-24-2003, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i thought the whole purpose of turbo timre was to allow turbine/compressor wheels to slow down, then you turn the car off.. i wouldn't turn the car right off after boosting, but lets say if i boosted for some time, then drove the car for 20 minutes in vacuum, wouldn't that be cooling down? i'd still let it sit for a minute..

but.. the way i turn the car off is based on how long ago i boosted, if boosted very recently, i'd let it sit for 2-3 minutes... if boosted a while ago and then just driving normal, about 1 minute or less.. - do i have this right?

Old 07-24-2003, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How long do you usually let the turbo cool down? (vtec.dc2)

tt is so that the oil does not cook into the bearings.... even with the best oils, if you leave them uncirculated and pooled in a extreme hot center section... that kind of heat for a period of time will break down almost any oil used in cars.

not to mention the fact that the turbo will take forever to transfer that much heat to the air to be cooled down on its own.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:58 PM

Default Re: How long do you usually let the turbo cool down? (twkdCD595)

local driving- 40 sec (1-4 miles in vaccum)

hwy driving- 3-4 min (10-20 miles vac/boost)

thats how i do it.. am i just wasting gas on the idle times?
Old 07-24-2003, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not disputing what you've said.. just trying to understand the concept.. how much does the oil temp change.. lets say comparing driving for 80 minutes with no boost vs. driving for 30 minutes with no boost.. how much difference would it make under normal driving conditoins? anyone with oil temp. gauge?
Old 07-24-2003, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How long do you usually let the turbo cool down? (BoostinGSR)

no need for a TT imo all you need is a not so hard driving period before you shut the car off.

people say its to let the oil cool or so it wont stick to the bearings, honsetly how cool do you think your motor is going to get sitting in one spot idling...not enough to matter.

and when you shut the car off the oil is going to drain into the pan thus not sticking to the bearing. Even if you did have a TT it would still do the same thing as if you had shut it off yourself.

I think TT are a waste of $100+

Thats my couple o' pennies
Old 07-24-2003, 06:09 PM

Default Re: How long do you usually let the turbo cool down? (Foozball26)

me too kinda......but i got my turbo timer for free.

i would say 40 sec to a minute for city driving is about how long i wait to turn off the car (don't have my tt hooked up yet)

i never take it out of town...so it never see hwy driving.

when i have the tt hooked up, i will let it cool for a minute and a half all the time. i just don't want to sit in the car that long, thats why i don't do it now
Old 07-24-2003, 06:11 PM

Default Re: How long do you usually let the turbo cool down? (93hb)

With really hot summer Texas weather, I only let me car idle for like 30 secs. It doesn't seem cold enough to let it idle for too long.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there is always a thin coat of oil on a surface even after it has all drained to the pan... that thin coat cooks easier than a circulating 4-5 quarts.

get enough burned on thin coats of oil on your bearing and you will kill the efficiency of the turbo (and cause it to be very difficult to spin without a bit of effort) with the heat and friction.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea, but what happens when the TT shuts down?

ding ding...It leaves the same traces of oil.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:21 PM

kinda what i was thinking, but i guess letting the car idle for a little while lets the turbo cool down some cause its not working as hard....i don't know...i just do it
cause people tell me i have to do it or else the turbo will mess up if i just turn the car off right away.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

reading this, would it be better to turn the car off according to oil temp gauge? i should have got one of thse instead..

anyone with oil temp gauge - i know the pressure drops a whole lot, but how much of temp. changes are we talking about?

Old 07-24-2003, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would go off of an oil temp gauge more than just letting a TT do its thing.

Thing is I highly doubt the oil will cool any significant amount to justify a TT

you think about where the oil is going through, in the pan its being cooked by exhaust gases from the downpipe, through the feed line next to the block and in the ambient temperature of the hot engine bay, through the still spinning turbo right next to the exhaust manifold.

Im sorry but there is no way oil will cool going through that mess.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cooling turbo using TT is better than not cooling it at all..

That's just the way I look at it..

anyone with oil temp. gauge?
Old 07-24-2003, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The turbo needs to cool off after some good hard running. The oil will bake to the bearings if the turbo is to hot that is why you let it cool at idle (the oil temp stays the same), if you stop oil flow then it just sits and cooks on the bearings.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How long do you usually let the turbo cool down? (Dublocivic)

i see.. in that case, oil temps stay the same, turbo won't cool down more if it hans't been spinning and just sitting instead of driving in vacuum.. so i guess i was thinking right in the first place.. if i'm driving in vacuum, its doensn't matter how long i've been driving, but how long i've been out of boost..
Old 07-24-2003, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

boost makes most of your heat, if you could manage to stay out of boost you could probably pass on the turbo timer.

I cant help but drive in boost some if I have it to take advantage of.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:13 PM

same here...love to hear it spool up
Old 07-24-2003, 07:37 PM

i usually hit vtec b4 if i kno im gonna park...i do this to cool my pistons down and have higher oil pressure to the turbo.. like lets say a block away or so.. after that.. i just usually let it sit for 30 seconds only.. and if i drove hard kinna.. or long freeway driving.. i let the fan turn on 2 times..i dont have a TT.. reason why i only do it for so long is cuz .. if your car was to circulate hot oil itself it becomes actaully worst for the turbo.. since if your in the freeway the high oil pressure will cool the turbo down alot faster then jsut idling in one spot for 3 to 5 minutes.. plus also your watercooled turbos are getting hotter since only the fan is keeping the water cool...the best way is to have a oil cooler.. like me less cool down time.. you want the coolest oil and water to get to the turbo.. and not recirculate the hot fluids back to it

and if you want proof that its a good thing .. check out all the stock turbo german cars.. even for warm up.. they dont want you to sit there for so long to warm the car up.. they prefer you warm up for a minute or so and then drive it and stay under 3k rpm... its all about oil pressure...cuz at full warm motor already only has like 25 to 30 psi of oil going through the motor...
Old 07-24-2003, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Heres your answer...If you can drive your car for a minute or so after hard driving you don't need a TT.

If you love boosting right into your garage or parking spot and are too lazy to let it idle for a sec, get a TT

or if you like pretty gadgets and people telling you everyday you left your car on then get a TT.

to me thier worthless as all you need is an easy driving session for a minute or so and your temps will be as close as you'll get to normal.

People don't seem to understand you will still generate ALOT of heat even at idle, thats why it won't cool as much as people think it does.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:43 PM

ditto that on the guy on top of me
Old 07-24-2003, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How long do you usually let the turbo cool down? (romeo619romeo)

i set my TT at 30 and 40 secs. there's really no need to let it 'cool' as people have said because the turbo itself stays hot no matter what. this is because hot gases are still passing thru it even at idle just as if you were driving or in neutral. i think letting it sit for a good 30-40 sec is good enough because the turbo and motor aren't gonna get any cooler sitting under the hood running. plus your car heats up faster at idle sitting in one place rather than driving around in vacuum due to the air moving thru the vents and such. also, i don't have time to wait till my TT stops before i do what i have to do.

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO WIRE THE GREDDY TT TO ALLOW IT TO BYPASS THE ALARM ALLOWING YOU TO ACTIVATE THE ALARM WHILE THE CAR IS RUNNING? i can turn the alarm on but once the TT shuts off so does the alarm.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:53 PM

Default Re: How long do you usually let the turbo cool down? (shermanyang)

heres a good way to use TT with alarm with out messign with it... set your turbo timer for 30 seconds, and put your alarm on auto arm.. once you take the key out the car.. lock the doors..and close it.. rite when the last door is closed the alarm will time it for 30 seconds till it turn itself on...so you wont have that lock and unlock situation...witht he TT and alarm..so atleast when you leave your car the doors are locked.. i would put a club on just for the hell of it..and when your car turns off it shoudl arm itself a few seconds later.. and the locks will be locked already and wont unlock itself
Old 07-24-2003, 09:17 PM

Default Re: How long do you usually let the turbo cool down? (psileepR)

5 mins up when i drive it hard
1 min drive it kinda hard
couple seconds.... if i drive normal after boosting

Quick Reply: How long do you usually let the turbo cool down?