Notices

How to hookup items on intake tube by throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to hookup items on intake tube by throttle body

Below is a pic to show the two items. One appears to be a breather off the valve cover. The second appears to be an intake temp sensor of sorts. How do I get those into the new aluminum intake tube from the intercooler? Do you guys just weld on some aluminum tubes or what do you guys do?

Also that line from the valve cover. See how it goes to hard line and seems to be joined to coolant lines to heat it. Can I undo that? I also see coolant flowing into the intake to heat it. I assume for emissions? can I remove that plumbing without adverse affects? or what's it really for?

Thanks guys
Malcolm

Old 12-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How to hookup items on intake tube by throttle body

The line out of the valve cover went between the air cleaner and the throttle body. The proper place for it is in the pipe between your air cleaner and turbo inlet. If you put it anywhere after the turbo, you are pressurizing the inside of the block. Not a good idea.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Put a air filter on your valve cover or hook a line to a catch can. As for the iat sensor you need to weld a bung to your intercooler piping or you could put it into your intake manifold. Ive used some jb weld on a bung before not the best way but works besides welding.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by aut0m4tic
The line out of the valve cover went between the air cleaner and the throttle body. The proper place for it is in the pipe between your air cleaner and turbo inlet. If you put it anywhere after the turbo, you are pressurizing the inside of the block. Not a good idea.
Dang I completely missed that when thinking about it. Good point there for sure.

Originally Posted by turbohatch96y7
Put a air filter on your valve cover or hook a line to a catch can. As for the iat sensor you need to weld a bung to your intercooler piping or you could put it into your intake manifold. Ive used some jb weld on a bung before not the best way but works besides welding.
The IAT sensor has no threads. It was just pushed into a rubber plug on the factory intake. So if I put a bung anywhere it's just going to get lightly pushed and held... ahh somehow. I'm assuming it should be installed between the air filter and the turbo instead of after the turbo where it will see boost? Or if I install it in the factory location where it sees boost (and probably gets much more accurate reading of air temp going into motor) it will need to be sealed somehow due to boost.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:21 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Yeah you might need to make a hole in the manifold and use a gst iat and tap the manifold. If you put it pre turbo your ecu is going to adjust for those temps now if you have air going threw an intercooler those temps arent going to be acurate at all.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

As for that valve cover breather line just pop a filter on it
Old 12-08-2011, 04:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah you might need to make a hole in the manifold and use a gst iat and tap the manifold. If you put it pre turbo your ecu is going to adjust for those temps now if you have air going threw an intercooler those temps arent going to be acurate at all.
I think I'll get some aluminum stock and tap threads in it and then just weld it into the intake tube as a bung in the stock location. What's a gsr IAT? Sorry I'm very new to Hondas and still learning. I know cars though and know IAT is intake air temp sensor. So when I go to the auto parts store or online or where ever I need to get that part what make/model and year for the gsr sensor? I assume the same readings as my factory sensor?

As for that valve cover breather line just pop a filter on it
Will do man. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

go grab a iat off a 92-95 civic...they have two bolts that hold them onto the back of the intake mani....there used to be a company that made the aluminum iat flanges to weld up to the chargepipes

second ditch the hard lines....loop a new peice of hose for the coolant and run the vc to a catchcan....your gonna need to also vent the block
Old 12-08-2011, 05:46 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by scottdh20
go grab a iat off a 92-95 civic...they have two bolts that hold them onto the back of the intake mani....there used to be a company that made the aluminum iat flanges to weld up to the chargepipes

second ditch the hard lines....loop a new peice of hose for the coolant and run the vc to a catchcan....your gonna need to also vent the block
Correct on ditching the hardlines. But for the power level he's actually doing he can keep the stock PCV system in it. Yes, lots of people vent extrac crankcase pressure, but for these levels, up to and beyond 400whp, its not totally necessary to go outside the PCV system.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anything i have ever read and seen says its always better to vent than to not vent and anything turbo'd honda needs to be vented.....if you leave the pcv system stock how the hell will it vent!?! its a 1 way valve in the pcv valve and it runs from the block to the intake manifold....so while in vacume yes it will vent any cranckcase pressure, but once you have positive pressure in your intake manifold it will hold the checkvalve closed, any blowby will pressurize your block and could cause severe damage

when i had 170-200whp all i did was vent the vc to the vented catchcan and ran a line off a gutted pcv to the catch can....the catchcan i made from a stainless waterbottle....total cost was like $20

now i have jb welded an extra bung into my valvecover along with the stock to a catchan and run a line to the atmosephere off my black box....next season i plan to run the block fitting to eliminate the black box
Old 12-08-2011, 06:00 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Ok. fine. do it your way.. I've had no problem with the stock system since 99 on 5 different "daily" setups, all with just PCV. Once you start getting to serious crankcase pressure from that system, THEN you can start using a multitude of catchcans.

Let him get started on getting this driven first... step by step.. if he start growing in his needs, he can then make the choice to use a full catch system.

That's fine if you want to use your $20 solution, but again. not necessary.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by scottdh20
anything i have ever read and seen says its always better to vent than to not vent and anything turbo'd honda needs to be vented.....if you leave the pcv system stock how the hell will it vent!?! its a 1 way valve in the pcv valve and it runs from the block to the intake manifold....so while in vacume yes it will vent any cranckcase pressure, but once you have positive pressure in your intake manifold it will hold the checkvalve closed, any blowby will pressurize your block and could cause severe damage
Alot of pcv valves of this age actually fail (and any that you buy from autozone or alike will fail from the start). So not only are you not allowing crankcase pressure out under boost, you are actually making it worse. Ive had alot come threw that even kept blowing the dipstick out everytime they hit boost. I agree, ditch the stock pcv and get a catch can.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:49 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by MalcolmV8
I think I'll get some aluminum stock and tap threads in it and then just weld it into the intake tube as a bung in the stock location. What's a gsr IAT? Sorry I'm very new to Hondas and still learning. I know cars though and know IAT is intake air temp sensor. So when I go to the auto parts store or online or where ever I need to get that part what make/model and year for the gsr sensor? I assume the same readings as my factory sensor?

Will do man. Thanks.

Yeah your right on intake air temp. I would hit a jun.k yard for it that way you cold get the connector to go with it. And to check it stick it in the freezer and grab an ohm meter and check the resistance.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I read through everyone's suggestions and info and I'm a little lost as to why I'd need a catch can?

If I understand the stock PCV system it vents out the side of the block into that block box. There's a PCV valve on the side of that black box with a hose that goes to the intake manifold which sucks the air through. The source of air is that little tube coming off the intake tube between air filter and throttle body and goes to the valve cover.

Now that my intake manifold will go under boost couldn't I just remove the valve cover hose and put a little air filter on there. Then the other rubber hose that's on the intake manifold I could extend and put on the intake tube between the air filter and the turbo (a vacuum source).

So now fresh air would be drawn in the valve cover breather and sucked out the block through the PCV to the intake tube feeding the turbo by the air filter.

That would keep my block from going under pressure right?

Thanks
Malcolm
Old 12-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes that would work and is the theory behind a nonvented catchcan....the catchcans job is to pick up the nasty oil/fuel etc. vapor that is being drawn out via the vacuum source before it gets back to the intake tube.....the stuff i drain from my catchan i would not want in my motor

you will never find the right answer between vented and nonvented, they both have advantages and drawbacks, its a matter of prefrence....but i'd never own a boosted honda with out at the very least removing the pvc system....even if its just a vacuum line dangling under your car venting to the atmosphere
Old 12-08-2011, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can you explain a little more about how the catch can would integrate into my setup specifically? If I understand more about it and how it would work on my car I can make a more educated decision as to which system I want to do.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks like a Intake air temp sensor and the other line is for PCV i believe.

everycar ive had i removed that metal thing. and just put a little filter on my valve cover
Old 12-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

both work in similer ways....both run a line from the valvecover to the catchcan(some add more vents to the valvecover). and both vent the block to the catchcan either from the black box or several companies make block fittings to get rid of the black box

now the nonvented catchcan will run a line from a sealed catchcan to the intake pipe and it will draw the pressure out and keep all the gunk in the can for you to drain out from time to time

the vented catchcan has a filter(of baller status multiple filters) with no lines running to the intake and lets the pressure bleed off naturally

both allow for any crankcase pressure to be released do some google searches and you will find a ton of info

my personal setup is a nrg catchcan with a hole drilled into the top tap and a fitting added with a filter. i added a extra port to my valvecover and ran both the stock and extra valvecover lines to the vented catchcan. i removed everything from the black box and added a double sided barbed fitting and a vac line to about 6" from the ground under my car....at some point i will add an extra port to the catchcan
Old 12-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I gotcha. I'll probably run my setup I explained above but add a catch can between the black box and the intake tube before the turbo to reduce oil mist going in there.

I found this while googling which is cool because you can see the oil level in it at a glance with that side clear tube.

http://www.amazon.com/HONDA-TURBO-BI.../dp/B005ECTDT8

So breather filter on valve cover, black box PVC line to catch can, to intake tube before turbo.

Thanks
Malcolm
Old 12-09-2011, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone know if the 90-95 Civic IAT sensor has the same electrical connection as my 98 Civic? My local autoparts store can order me one for $44. Or do I need to go junkyard hunting and find the electrical wiring connector that snaps on too?
Old 12-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i like this better just cuz its baffled and i prefur vented

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Baffled-Alum...item3cbdc975d3

this is what i have...but an extra port was drilled and tapped to add a breather to the top

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NRG-CHROME-C...item2316c5176d
Old 12-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Baffled is good. I'd probably baffle one if it's not. However I don't see the point of the breather on top. In fact I think it hinders performance. My intake tube on the vacuum side of the turbo won't be pulling any air through the motor at all because it'll be like the catch can has a hole in it and it'll just be sucking the air through the breather on the catch can rather than creating a vacuum past the catch can and pulling air out the block of the motor.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MalcolmV8
Anyone know if the 90-95 Civic IAT sensor has the same electrical connection as my 98 Civic? My local autoparts store can order me one for $44. Or do I need to go junkyard hunting and find the electrical wiring connector that snaps on too?
they do not.
at the junkyard when you get your iat, get the plug that goes with it to splice on to your harness
i used a z6 intake manifold and had to extend the wires to reach the back of manifold.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK thanks. I'll have to hit a junk yard then. I found a few IAT sensors on ebay but no harness plugs with them so junk yard it is.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A vented catchcan (with a breather) does not use a vacume source.....it simply gives the pressure a way out and a place for The gunk to settle...... non vented catchan is a sealed system that requires a vacuum source to draw out the pressureio u

Quick Reply: How to hookup items on intake tube by throttle body