Notices

How DOes Your WASTEGATE Sound ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How DOes Your WASTEGATE Sound ?

so normally when i gas up and hit positive boost then back off the throttle, i hear the sweet fluttering sound of the wastegate release. I know we all have different set ups and such so they all sound different.i would have to say mine sounds like kinda like > tuh tuh tuh tuhhh. (gasp of air fluttering) BUT today i noticed i had a small leak on the wastegate flange so i took it off and re-tightened the wastegate w/gasket back on. For the record, I've had a hand full of exhaust leaks but i just get new gaskets and bolts then snug everything back up and its fine. I Took the car out tonight and noticed the wastegate DID NOT make the same noise it used to. Any one run into the same thing?

My vac line is plugged directly into the cold side turbo snail (done by dyno shop)
-checked the vac line for holes or cracks> NONe Found<
-seems to build boost normally (running off wastegate spring 7lb)
-didn't notice any boost spikes or have over boosting.

did i miss something? or is there something else i can try. I no its not the best to diagnose a problem using the sound, but the wastegate had the same release sound since day 1 whats UP??
Old 08-17-2007, 01:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How DOes Your WASTEGATE Sound ? (supabang)

a 'tuh tuh tuh tuhh' soudsn like compressor surge. do you have a BOV?
Old 08-17-2007, 03:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: How DOes Your WASTEGATE Sound ? (supabang)

The waste gate doesn't make any sound, it is silent. A blowoff valve on the other hand, can make a variety of different sounds.

The sound that you are describing sounds like compresser surge. Do you have a blowoff valve? If not, then get one. If so, then adjust it or get a better one.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How DOes Your WASTEGATE Sound ? (rmcdaniels)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rmcdaniels &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The waste gate doesn't make any sound, it is silent. A blowoff valve on the other hand, can make a variety of different sounds.

The sound that you are describing sounds like compresser surge. Do you have a blowoff valve? If not, then get one. If so, then adjust it or get a better one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wastegate is definitly not silent. if ur wastegate is not recircultaed back into the exhuast, u will def. hear it
Old 08-17-2007, 03:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: How DOes Your WASTEGATE Sound ? (boosted k20)

Yeah, I wasn't thinking about that, I always recirculate and most open dumptube setups that I see are coupled with an open downpipe so you really can't tell which noise is which.

At any rate, a fluttering air sound when he backs off of the throttle is not coming from his waste gate.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How DOes Your WASTEGATE Sound ? (rmcdaniels)

what kind of car is this on. On a honda you would have to rev the car extremely high to get boost. Unless you are on a 2 step you are probably not building enough boost to open the wastegate.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i've heard of people saying you can hear the wastegate. i have a tial 38 and i don't hear anything, performs perfect but no noise.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (teddy_dc2)

The only time you will "hear" the wastegate is at 7 psi when the gate is actually regulating boost. You shouldn't hear the gate when the throttle is chopped, that would be the BOV.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the input but there seems to be 2 different opinions on what the wastegate "sounds" like. I do have a bov and it seems to work fine.(type RS and makes the swishhhh sound) i have the setting on a bit soft because i'm only running 7 lbs. should i try to set it tighter? I do not think that the fluttering sound i had before was a compressor surge. i get the same sound off my eclipse turbo as well. works just fine running high 12's on 1/4. The problem i'm having here is that IT USED TO MAKE THE SOUND SINCE DAY ONE..LIKE 4 MONTHS NOW. THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN ITS ALMOST SILENT. the fluttering sound now could only be herd at low RPM. I don't get why a few of you seem to think the wastegate release does not make any noise. i have an open dump tube coming out the driver side fender. i usually hear the wastegate fluttering at low boost when i back off and i can deff hear it when at full boost.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (supabang)

if you aren't recirculating your dump tube from your external wastegate it sounds like a thousand bees going off in a little tube, little tube meaning your dump tube. if its circulating into your downpipe you wont hear anything at all from your wastegate, only you BOV, IF you have one. which, i hope you do
Old 08-17-2007, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if ur wastegate was fluttering like u say it is then it wouldn't be a cool sound. it would sound like an exhaust leak going on and off. that sound u were hearing was compressor surge which is bad. a lot of guys that switch from internal gated turbos think that the fluttering noise comes from the wastegate but that is false
Old 08-18-2007, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bigbadboy)

damn. I'm confused. I thought the sound i herd from the wastegate when the throttle closes was just excess exhaust air released. I know the bov always release after i hit +PSI. Anyway, I'll make a clip of the fluttering sound today and post it so i know for sure if i have a problem. I've had the fluttering sound since the first day i put the turbo kit on. Hope i haven't been running stupid mode
Old 08-18-2007, 10:47 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by supabang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for the input but there seems to be 2 different opinions on what the wastegate "sounds" like. I do have a bov and it seems to work fine.(type RS and makes the swishhhh sound) i have the setting on a bit soft because i'm only running 7 lbs. should i try to set it tighter? I do not think that the fluttering sound i had before was a compressor surge. i get the same sound off my eclipse turbo as well. works just fine running high 12's on 1/4. The problem i'm having here is that IT USED TO MAKE THE SOUND SINCE DAY ONE..LIKE 4 MONTHS NOW. THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN ITS ALMOST SILENT. the fluttering sound now could only be herd at low RPM. I don't get why a few of you seem to think the wastegate release does not make any noise. i have an open dump tube coming out the driver side fender. i usually hear the wastegate fluttering at low boost when i back off and i can deff hear it when at full boost. </TD></TR></TABLE>

In there you stated you changed the setting of the bov because you are running only 7 lbs. The bov should be set depending on the amount of vacuum you have not boost. That could be why you are getting compressor surge.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EG civic)

Haha, wtf?

Open Dumptube = open header sound when you hit boost
Compressor surge = fluttering air sound
BOV = The sound that makes ricers come runnin

You have B, compressor surge.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SovXietday)

when my wastegate opens its sounds like a long wet fart lol
Old 08-18-2007, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SovXietday)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SovXietday &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

BOV = The sound that makes ricers come runnin </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol so true
Old 08-18-2007, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by supabang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn. I'm confused. I thought the sound i herd from the wastegate when the throttle closes was just excess exhaust air released. I know the bov always release after i hit +PSI. Anyway, I'll make a clip of the fluttering sound today and post it so i know for sure if i have a problem. I've had the fluttering sound since the first day i put the turbo kit on. Hope i haven't been running stupid mode </TD></TR></TABLE>

If your BOV is way too tight (causes comp surge) AND your WG's vacuum source is the compressor housing of the turbo - the wastegate's valve won't slam shut, and may 'stutter'. You would hear it like an exhaust leak being turned on/off quickly.

I would suggest connecting the WG to the intake manifold somewhere after the throttle body, then removing the BOV's vacuum source in order to test for compressor surge. If the sound remains, you have compressor surge.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:12 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (willyboyK20)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by willyboyK20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when my wastegate opens its sounds like a long wet fart lol
</TD></TR></TABLE>
ha ha ..lol