Notices

how do you strret tune your turboed honda>?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you strret tune your turboed honda>?

by street i mean strip,i want to tune my car at the track this weekend,till i have the funds for a dyno trip.

i have a techedge kit with palm pilot for logging.adjustable cam gears and a vafc.

should i make 3rd gear pulls,then come back and adjust the vafc?

where should i set up the throttle percentages at?hi and lo?

i dont run the hack,i use the missing link,it works great for me.please just give me some tips for tunning.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how do you strret tune your turboed honda>? (civictypenos)

Do you have a knock control/monitor? Something like J&S Safeguard (retards timing when the car knocks) or MSD Knock Alert (displays a bunch of LEDs)?

I think it's kind of risky to do a full throttle run down the track without knowing if your car acutally detonates. There are also some unknown factors like your a/f...whether you are running so rich that you could flood out or rings, or running so lean that it'll melt your motor...

I'll do some "on the street" tuning with the techedge wideband first starting at partial throttle, then work your way up to full throttle. You'll have to determine the Hi/Lo throttle point on the VAFC yourself. Only you know what's best for your motor.

It's pretty hard to street tune the cam gears. I'll save that for the dyno
Old 10-09-2003, 08:48 AM

Default Re: how do you strret tune your turboed honda>? (green_GSR)

how would you go about finding the hi-lo settings on the vafc.

im using a btm set to .33 per pound and stock timing with bkre7's.

i have the low set at 35% and the high at 65%.does this mean the ecu controls the mixture till it gets to 35%??
Old 10-09-2003, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

read the manual again on that low and high throttle settings are in your manual. It's measly a percentage of full throttle. so 35= 35% of full throttle.

WHy are you tuning on a drag strip? Sounds like a waste of track/time to me. And 0.33 degrees per pound is way way far from conservative. Most people go about 0.8 degrees per pound, if not more. I go for 1 degree/pound personally.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:14 AM

Default Re: how do you strret tune your turboed honda>? (R6Elmo)

gimmie a break,im trying to learn how to tune my car.its not a waste of track time.its test and tune,$8 and run all night long.test,then tune it.ive read the manual.

from everyone ive talked to,1 degree is too much on stock timing.im still elarning but id like to get it as close as possbale before going to the dyno,just to see how close i come on my mixture and things.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand.. why waste $8 at the track when you can do the same thing on any rural street????

Get your A/F's in line, THEN go to the track.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how do you strret tune your turboed honda>? (VTC_CiViC)

I say pay the 8$ and do the tuning at the track. If something goes wrong I feel it would be safer enviroment. street tuning can catch ya a ticket.

props to you for doing it the smart way.

Nick
Old 10-09-2003, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: how do you strret tune your turboed honda>? (Sinner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sinner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I say pay the 8$ and do the tuning at the track. If something goes wrong I feel it would be safer enviroment. street tuning can catch ya a ticket.

Nick</TD></TR></TABLE>

OMG..

Where do you top 3rd? 80-85mph? Pff... I've been passed by 90 year old women and soccer moms going faster than that on the Turnpike.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTC_CiViC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

OMG..

Where do you top 3rd? 80-85mph? Pff... I've been passed by 90 year old women and soccer moms going faster than that on the Turnpike.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, but it's hard to pull from like 40-90 without either being way slower or way faster than everyone else around, on the highway. I find a LONG straight onramp is the best, because you can start out WAY low, lugging the motor (pretending it's autocross ) and go all the way up to 90. Since it's an incline you will be accelerating more slowly and get more data points, too! My car was running mad-rich when VTEC switched, but it barely showed up in 2nd gear pulls, because the car was accelerating too quickly and only getting a few data point!
Old 10-09-2003, 01:35 PM
New User

If i was you i would probably break down and fork over the cash for the tune if it is anything you are worried about. Thats just me. I am not gonna risk anything on the motor i am in the process of building so that is what i would do
Old 10-09-2003, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DroppedGSR)

u need a wideband o2 to tune ur car at the track. or you can be ghetto like me...
Old 10-09-2003, 01:48 PM

Default Re: (Jockobo)

I heard tracking tuning is good. However is it true that it puts more strain on the motor than a DynoJet?
Old 10-09-2003, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jockobo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jockobo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u need a wideband o2 to tune ur car at the track. or you can be ghetto like me...</TD></TR></TABLE>

he said he has one...
Old 10-09-2003, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how do you strret tune your turboed honda>? (Sinner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sinner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I say pay the 8$ and do the tuning at the track. If something goes wrong I feel it would be safer enviroment. street tuning can catch ya a ticket.

Nick</TD></TR></TABLE>

8 Bucks---shoot that's a deal
we have to pay 20 here in kc
Old 10-09-2003, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how do you strret tune your turboed honda>? (SKDRCR)

Old 10-10-2003, 03:27 AM

Man u guys get all the best deals in the States!!! We have to pay £12... Nearly $20 for only 3 runs!!!! and there is like 1 proper Raceway in the whole of England!!!!

Sucks...
Old 10-10-2003, 11:23 AM

Default Re: (T-Blaze)

up,still looking for suggestions and vafc settings.goig out tonight to do some of the much needed tunning.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:28 AM

Default Re: (civictypenos)

just find an empty straight road and drive down it and make sure no cops or people are around then go back down it the other way and do a pull...log it, go park make changes and do it again...it should only take a few pulls to get it close...i had a friend come with me and start and stop the logging with my PDA so i could focus on the road
Old 10-10-2003, 11:29 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTC_CiViC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

OMG..

Where do you top 3rd? 80-85mph? Pff... I've been passed by 90 year old women and soccer moms going faster than that on the Turnpike.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so you dont think $8 is worth:

1) not getting a $100 + speeding ticket
2) safety of not killing someone else
3) timeslips
4) practicing my launches
5) not being in the middle of no where if my **** breaks on me?
6) having gas right there when i need it,not to mention high octane gas

i can see what your saying as far as doing it on a back road,but once i get it some what tunned ill be wanting to give it more and more,for now id be alot more comfortable doing it at the track for $8.then when i know i can actually out run the sherriffs,ill start doing it on the back roads&lt;------thats a joke!!
Old 10-10-2003, 11:31 AM

Default Re: (gritsak)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gritsak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just find an empty straight road and drive down it and make sure no cops or people are around then go back down it the other way and do a pull...log it, go park make changes and do it again...it should only take a few pulls to get it close...i had a friend come with me and start and stop the logging with my PDA so i could focus on the road</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats pretty much what i was planning,did you do 3rd or 4th gear pulls?