Notices

How do I ghetto rig a duct to my IC?

Old 06-08-2003, 02:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I ghetto rig a duct to my IC?

How do I ghetto rig a duct to my IC?

Like a dumb butt I put my IC under my hood next to the stock intake holed in the body. btw Its a dsm gen 1 SMIC.. so it sucks. The reason I didnt mount it anywhere else is because my body kit does give me any room. I know it a lame excuse. I'm about to rig up a CO2 cooling, but I figure it would help if I ran some type of duct from the grill through the hole in the body to the bottom of the IC. I figure that could help when I traveling down the highway. Does its sound reasonable? I figure I need some abs plastic any other ideas? I dont want it to melt. anyone done the before? I think I might invest in a hood scoop and duct it to the the top of the IC and have a duct comming from the bottom which comes from the front of the car. Just working on ideas so I can have it straight when I go buy the materials tomorrow.

Nick
Old 06-08-2003, 02:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 06-08-2003, 04:53 AM
big strong guy

Default Re: (Sinner)

Just run a Small Hood Scoop!

Or Dryer Duct Hose From hardware Store will even work if you want to Route air from Below!

Eric
Old 06-08-2003, 05:09 AM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (rainmanEK)

Pull air in from the OEM resonator box location.
Old 06-08-2003, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't see how that setup is gonna help you...if anything, won't that IC actually heat the air up more rather than cool it down?

IC = heat sinks, which need circulating air to work
Old 06-08-2003, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MiraiZ)

I am also concerned about this location. IC's need sufficient airflow to work properly, and even if I were to tell you to mount a marine blower fan, it still would not do enough! Your only option is to put a scoop in the hood, and for better flow, cut a hole underneath it (where the aem cai goes into the bumber) and put a fan blowing/pulling threw it in the city. Best I can think of if you keep it there. It is also probabaly easier to mount it where people normally mount it. You have more options with this placement as flow is concerned. (in front of the passenger side wheel well in bumper
Old 06-08-2003, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CivicSoul)

What is more important, horsepower or rice? Trim the freakin bumper!
And the 90 degree angle befor the TB is not helping you either!
Old 06-08-2003, 07:39 AM

Default Re: How do I ghetto rig a duct to my IC? (Sinner)

firstly the dsm 1g smic don't suck as bad as you think. for a low boost sohc application it will do fine. secondly, lemme see pics of your body kit on the front passenger side. unless u have some crazy bumper and fenders that take up more room than stock, the ic will fit fine tucked in where the stock resonator used to be.

if the ic has to stay where it is i'd say go to home depot and get some sheet metal and make a little shield or box to keep some of that underhood head away from the ic. then route some piping or hose from the from the front up through the stock resonator hole up to the ic.

get some pics and we'll figure something out
Old 06-08-2003, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How do I ghetto rig a duct to my IC? (Pengo)

Run some dryer hose from the bumper up to the corrom of the intercooler, and get one of those louvered vents installed above it to let the heat out, that would work.
Old 06-08-2003, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do I ghetto rig a duct to my IC? (Pengo)

If you can find an old school imoto hood it has a scoop right there. But just put it in the stock resonator location the brackets line up perfectly and fits in there like it was made for a civic. Also the dsm smic does not suck, I've seen my dsm friends run into the 12's with these intercoolers and are a lot more effiicient then you think. From what I was told they flow better(EDIT: corrected by civicsoul) then the popular starion frontmounts too.
This was from when I test fit it..its secured much better now

I used this as a mounting point

Cut part of your bumper vent out, cut out your wheelwell lining and put in a screen in there and you are set. An intercooler only needs about 1/4th of its core size to receive direct airflow for it to work at its best as opposed to air going around it. If you are still concerned about heak soak its easy to rig up an intercooler sprayer.

Modified by AztecEJ at 2:46 PM 6/8/2003
Old 06-08-2003, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i like the location of it. imo. however that will get heat soaked. why don't you go to a local junkyard and find an MR2 turbo and snag the fan on top the little intercooler they have and put in on yours and run it constant or on a switch
Old 06-08-2003, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do I ghetto rig a duct to my IC? (AztecEJ)

the smic's are not more efficient than the starion, they just flow better then the starion.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do I ghetto rig a duct to my IC? (CivicSoul)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicSoul &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the smic's are not more efficient than the starion, they just flow better then the starion. </TD></TR></TABLE>

my fault thats what i meant
Old 06-08-2003, 01:22 PM

Default Re: How do I ghetto rig a duct to my IC? (AztecEJ)

i have almost an identical mounting of the 1g smic to aztec and it on my sol as well. if you need to, get creative and start cutting a little or move things around