Notices

How do I check for fuel leaks after new injector install WITHOUT having motor running ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I check for fuel leaks after new injector install WITHOUT having motor running ??

Still working on my turbo project and just got the new injectors installed - now the car is not ready at all to be started and running but is there some way I can check for fuel leaks like by just turning the ignition on or something? Will I be able to tell if the actual injectors have any leaks around the o-rings on the manifold and fuel rail, etc?

I ask because it was a pain to install these RC's I got kinda new (less than 500 miles from a buddy - so I know they are ok) but what got me nervous is that I had to bore out the large o-rings in the intake manifold and then remove the plastic spacers so I am kinda skeptical as to wether it will leak... everything was a nice tight fit though - thanks to some vaseline haha lol

Modified by pcguy760 at 5:43 PM 8/9/2008
Old 08-09-2008, 04:28 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: How do I check for fuel leaks after new injector install WITHOUT having motor running ?? (pcguy7

Yeah you can hook up your battery and then turn the ignition on. I am assuming your fuel lines are dry so your going to need to prime it and by doing so just turn the ignition on and off several times. Do you have a FPG? If so just check it and when its up to normal check for fuel leaks. Continuing to turn the car on and off will prime the pump and create fuel pressue which in turn will normally expose any leaks.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do I check for fuel leaks after new injector install WITHOUT having motor running ?? (pcguy7

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SD_Lurker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah you can hook up your battery and then turn the ignition on. I am assuming your fuel lines are dry so your going to need to prime it and by doing so just turn the ignition on and off several times. Do you have a FPG? If so just check it and when its up to normal check for fuel leaks. Continuing to turn the car on and off will prime the pump and create fuel pressue which in turn will normally expose any leaks. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks Lurker - yeah I got a FPG installed on top of the fuel pump and its reading pretty much exactly what it use to before I installed the injectors (close to 40 PSI). No leaks so far! Yay! What is wierd, is that I heard of people having to modify the fuel rail spacers but I just used the stock ones and they tightened correctly and seals the top of the injectors - Here is a pic of them installed (before I put the rail on) - can you verify its correct?

I think this gap between the injectors and manifold is normal...

Modified by pcguy760 at 6:52 PM 8/9/2008
Old 08-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which injectors did you get them for ? The euro R ? Looks like from the pics you are using a euro R manifold. You have to make sure the injector is sitting in all the way with out hitting the manifold.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi, lol sorry I forgot to mention its a JDM H22A and the manifold is a stock H22A Intake manfold...
Old 08-09-2008, 07:52 PM
HT White Ops

The gap is fine cause once you tighten the fuel rail down its going to press everything together. Get the FR on and take some more pictures but from what I can see right now it looks to be just fine.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pcguy760 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi, lol sorry I forgot to mention its a JDM H22A and the manifold is a stock H22A Intake manfold...</TD></TR></TABLE>

You should be fine, it looked like a euro R manifold at first. The euro R utilizes different type of injectors, thats why I asked. You should be fine though. You will notice if fuel is leaking right away.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

put on a fuel rail and prime the pump
Old 08-09-2008, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (importdude2000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by importdude2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">put on a fuel rail and prime the pump
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I did! Primed it like 6 times and no leaks - fuel pressure on the gauge is reading almost 40 PSI (which it has always been) - so I guess I am good to go so far!
Old 08-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SD_Lurker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The gap is fine cause once you tighten the fuel rail down its going to press everything together. Get the FR on and take some more pictures but from what I can see right now it looks to be just fine. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I will take some in the morning and post it up on here!
Old 08-09-2008, 09:58 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (pcguy760)

Sweet so it sounds like everything is A ok!! Just make sure you look everywhere for leaks because sometimes they aren't easy to notice.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SD_Lurker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SD_Lurker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sweet so it sounds like everything is A ok!! Just make sure you look everywhere for leaks because sometimes they aren't easy to notice. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Here is the pic of it fully installed - I still find it odd how come almost every thread I read about these, they were having trouble with the fuel rail spacers. I used the same stock ones and it appears that everything mounted up just fine - I hope its done correctly ...

Old 08-10-2008, 02:03 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (pcguy760)

As long as the injectors are sitting down properly and there are no leaks than you'll be fine.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SD_Lurker)

Yeah I hope so lol - well kinda off topic but I just was under the car getting the oilpan ready to be removed for the turbo oil return and I see axle grease all over the tranny - well now I just saw my inner cv boot is busted! Guess I will not be going anywhere really soon because although the car was still driving normal before I started the turbo project, I would get that CV boot replaced before I take it anywhere... yay more downtime - well at least the axle did not crap out all together from no grease, guess I caught it in time . Need to call DSS tomorrow I guess...