Notices

how can you tell what a wastegate is set at ? ------------

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how can you tell what a wastegate is set at ? ------------

how do you find out what your wastegate is set at without actually turning on the car.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how can you tell what a wastegate is set at ? ------------ (Del_Slowest)

I guess by taking the spring out and finding out what color that spring is rated at, or just buy a spring of a known pressure.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:26 PM

Default Re: how can you tell what a wastegate is set at ? ------------ (m R g S r)

forgot that this is for a internal wastegate
Old 06-02-2004, 07:40 PM

Default Re: how can you tell what a wastegate is set at ? ------------ (Del_Slowest)

What kind of turbo is it and what kind of car did it come from?
Old 06-03-2004, 02:13 AM

Default Re: how can you tell what a wastegate is set at ? ------------ (Smooth-GSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Smooth-GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What kind of turbo is it and what kind of car did it come from?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i believe it's a turbo II from a 2.2L chrystler. i'd like to actually use a tool or something to see what psi it's at rather than look up the specs on a website though. the website says it's 10+ psi, don't ask me what the + is for
Old 06-03-2004, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you could try using a mityvac vacuum tester/gauge...
it might not generate enough volume to properly test it. But we had good luck using one to test for leaks and confirm all of my pressures & gauges & stuff...

I have found it to be an indispensable tool to own if you have a boosted car....

just a thought...
Old 06-03-2004, 07:15 AM

I just went and got one of those 5 gallon air tanks from home depot.. Hooked a campbell hausfield pressure regulator to it and started putting pressure against the wastegate.. When it opened up about half way that was the boost that I was running.. Should only cost you about $40 for everything to test it..

If you do go this route use an autometer boost gauge or something like that since the little pressure gauges that come with the pressure regulators arent that accurate..
Old 06-03-2004, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: how can you tell what a wastegate is set at ? ------------ (Smooth-GSR)

its a T3
and its a new turbo

he is not 100% sure if it did came off any certain car
Old 06-03-2004, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how can you tell what a wastegate is set at ? ------------ (USDM 4G VTEC)

if its a chrysler t3 turbo, the flange pattern is different than a standard t3...

but to answer your question, get an air compressor w/ a regulator on it, and set it down REALLY low... then put a blowgun to the wastegate, pull the trigger, and turn up the regulator until the wastegate opens... that is your boost level.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:10 AM

Default Re: how can you tell what a wastegate is set at ? ------------ (ScrapinSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ScrapinSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if its a chrysler t3 turbo, the flange pattern is different than a standard t3...

but to answer your question, get an air compressor w/ a regulator on it, and set it down REALLY low... then put a blowgun to the wastegate, pull the trigger, and turn up the regulator until the wastegate opens... that is your boost level. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Read 3 posts above..
Old 06-03-2004, 12:19 PM

Default Re: how can you tell what a wastegate is set at ? ------------ (tgreaves)

i'm gonna try my dads lil air compressor (used for painting models) , i'm afraid to use the big garage one, hehe

thanks for all the help guys
Old 06-03-2004, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Del_Slowest &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm gonna try my dads lil air compressor (used for painting models) , i'm afraid to use the big garage one, hehe

thanks for all the help guys </TD></TR></TABLE>
no problem

well try that tonight when i get over there