Notices

how can you check injectors to see if they went bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how can you check injectors to see if they went bad?

Is there a method?
I have RC 650cc injectors... I want to know what I can do to verify they are running correctly
Old 09-30-2005, 05:53 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: how can you check injectors to see if they went bad? (igo4bmx)

You gotta send them off to get flow tested, its really the only way. You could check the resistance across the leads but that will only tell you if there totally fried or not. The only true way to test them is the flow test.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if they've already been in your car running you can just take them out, hook them up to a car battery and you will hear it running and see the fuel spit out that was left in it
Old 09-30-2005, 09:05 AM

Default Re: (B18 CYA)

While the car is running, put a long screwdriver against each one and listen to the end of it. If you hear each one "ticking" than they should be working. Can't say it's the "end all" to tell if they are working 100%, but that's how I usually find bad injectors.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah im concerned maybe one of them is spitting out fuel 100% or something... im not sure..
my car focking sucks
Old 09-30-2005, 09:37 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (igo4bmx)

depending on what you have laying around in your garage you can make a poor man's flow tester for the injectors.

Just take an extra fuel pump in a bucket of fuel and run a line to a spare fuel rail with the injectors in it...dont forget your return line

make sure to fasten the injectors to the rail, I used a few metal coat hangers that I bent around them and the rail.

get 4 same size glasses or cups under the injectors. Wire all the injectors with a tail light bulb inline for each and then hook them and the fuel pump to a battery all at once and run them for a set period of time....say 20-30seconds and unhook it all at once and see if they've all got around the same gas levels in their cups.

If they dont, go get you a gallon container of carb cleaner and a gallon of mineral spirits, mix them together toss the fuel pump in that, and start flow cleaning them yourself.

hell, here's some links that describe it better but I was uber ghetto about mine the first time I did it.

http://www.cosworthvega.com/Ar...r.htm

http://www.diy-efi.org/diy_efi....html

Old 09-30-2005, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stackz)

that is a good idea.... but i wouldnt use GAS its to flamable and you would have an open spark from the battery.... use KEROSENE... it has basically the same viscosity as gasoline.

also if you knew how to use a OHM meter well, you could do the "poor-mans" flowbench and combine it with a OHM meter and measure the amount of current and amperage that each injector requires to open at different fuel pressure.

for example: you have kerosene pumping through the fuel rail at 40psi
and it took X number of volts and Y number of amps to open the injector.

try this at different fuel pressures .

ideally you dont want more than 5% difference across the board.

this test will show you if the electronics are failing and or if the electronics are bad.

you could set up something to catch the amount kerosne that can be pumped out of 1 ingector for a time of one minute. this will give you LBS per minute of each injector for a given pressure.

and you have successfully flow bench tested the injector.

to go further you would need a digital camera with a rater extremely hihg high shutter speed and you could photograph the kerosene leaving the injector this will give you an idea of the spray pattern.

you dont want dense lines, or drops forming on the injector nozle. (only atomized fuel burns)

Hope that helps.