Notices

how big should the holding tank be for my air----->water IC

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how big should the holding tank be for my air----->water IC

i want to know the minimum amount u guys are running and/or recomend to run in the water holding tank for my IC. im not saying im gunna get he smallest one i can but i dont know if i should mount something that holds a quart of water or a whole gallon???? im sure the more the better but a good baseline would be great thanx guy
Old 07-12-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Re: how big should the holding tank be for my air----->water IC (mattcivic)

I wouldn't use any less than about 3 gallons for a street car.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how big should the holding tank be for my air----->water IC (b16sedan)

3 gallons? whoa **** im gunna have to mount a dam 3+ gallon fuel cell in the back and run water lines into it theres no way im fitting some sort of 3 gallon container up front under my hood somewhere
Old 09-05-2005, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how big should the holding tank be for my air----->water IC (mattcivic)

yes I am wondering the same question. I have found that I can fit 3ish gallons up front. but if I am going to need more my tank plans might have to change. thanks everyone for any help
Old 09-05-2005, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well w/ a good heat exchanger i was seeing about 10 degrees above ambient air w/ a 1gal fuel cell....and about 10' of 3/4" hose....id say id held about 2gals....now ive upgraded to a cooler in the trunk that i made a brace for off my custom rear trunk bar...that hold 5gallons if filled to the top w/ just water....but i never do that...i fill it usually w/ big ice blocks....and have about 20' of piping now...and its prob about 4-5 gallons...and it helps it from gettin heatsoaked while idling.....but a few days ago i finnaly used ice in the mix....oh man it was so nice.....85-90 ambient.....w/ iat's into the 70's....lets just say it had that extra kick in the pants....and after about 20-30min of hard boostin....my air/water intercooler had a nice frost on it....

my suggestiongs for most of you tryin to keep it up front....get a 1gal fuel cell and mount it in the passneger fender....go to the pump>a/w ic> heat exhcager > then to the washer fluid resivior > back to the fuel cell....

the washer resiviors will get most about another 1/2 - 1gal capacity....depending on the car

also the better you keep your a/w intercooler from being heatsoaked the better off youll be...and if you run an ice mix....youll want to make a cutout to your heat exchanger...because itll now be reverse of what your shooting for...cold iat's
Old 09-06-2005, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (drumking15)

Would using a product like Redline Water Wetter or the "2 drops of dish soap" in my a/w ic to increase the thermal conductive properties to pull a little bit more heat out of the intake charge air? Just a thought. Thanks for all the imput.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:56 PM

ive found water wetter doesnt do much for a/w setups...the 10 or so degree difference that youd see in coolant temps doesnt change the water by the same effect in an a/w system the iat's wont change much once the water is fairly heated...and dish soap prob wont do much...its not like the stock coolant system where your tryin to make the block "wet" and transfer heat better...

you best bet to keep that water cooler...
1) a bigger resivior
2)a bigger heat exchanger w/ fans
3)ice water...now that is the main reason for a/w setups
Old 09-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info, and insight. I'm asking the the questions I can before I even be I start my a/w ic project. The tank will be made as big as feasible, I will probably use as a heat exchanger w/fan. Thanks again guys
Old 09-07-2005, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (granturismonut2)

hhmm awsome im gunna have an aluminum tub built to fit inside of my spair tire holder. can anyone recomend a good heat exchanger and where to get it? thanx
Old 09-08-2005, 04:12 AM

Default Re: (mattcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mattcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hhmm awsome im gunna have an aluminum tub built to fit inside of my spair tire holder. can anyone recomend a good heat exchanger and where to get it? thanx </TD></TR></TABLE>

if you want a nice one...that isnt quite so sleepr...a guy on ebay makes a nice one that pretty much looks like a fmic...if your going for the sleeper look...hit egay once again and search for motorcycle radiators...ive found they transfer heat pretty well...a lot better than others suggested tranny coolers....best of all...you can add 2 etc because theyre nice and small...and 90% of the time...already black for the stealth look...

my only recomendation...if you run a small resivior &lt;1.5gallons...get a good fan for the heat exchanger....sitting in traffic your underhhod temps will heatsoak the intercooler obviously cuasing your iat's to go up....and when makin your piping if you plan on adding ice water...youll want to make a couple valves so you can bypass the heat exchanger and go straight to the intercooler and back to the resivior...so you dont in essence defeat the ice...but heating it up
Old 09-08-2005, 04:14 AM

and ya...feel free to shoot ?'s off left and right...me and a friend...prelittlelude are big fans of a/w...mostly for the sleepr sense but now w/ ice....the only other time id seen iat's in the 70's was last spring...or really laate at night....its nice to be cold during those 90 degree days where everyone else is suckin in nice hot air!
Old 09-08-2005, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya im trying to give it the sleeper look but ill take a look on ebay at the one u were talking about. how many cfm's does my IC have to be push 700hp i dont think ill ever get that high but i do plan on hittin 600+ mine i have now is rated up to 600 and i dont want to stop just because of it.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:12 PM

youll probably wanna run a spearco dual core...i thin the part # is 2-232 ...and youll need a double if you wanna push those #'s...pwr's are alright and if you choose them youll def want the 6x10....and have fun tryin to sqeeze that in the bay unless you hack up the front bumper support...and also anyone who is running these...youll want to isolate your intercooler by all means possible....once you car sits and heatsoaks...its a bitch tryin to get iat's to drop....and itll ice bag after bag!

and spearco's site has all the flow #'s....just do the max flow of your turbo & such and such efficency and you should be able to calc out your max cfm...and just go slighty bigger than that
Old 09-09-2005, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i checked out there IC's i dont think i can cram one of them in my engine bay. im stuck with my boostec for now ill hit 600 with it i wasnt looking to get more than 650 with a bigger one anyways if i have any more questions ill be sure to ask thanx guys
Old 09-10-2005, 06:27 AM

ya the best way to get a big one in there is follow nicesexcrx's model....a front facing turbo w/ inlet towards passenger side....the a dual core w/ oulet facing the firewall up by the top side of the bumper...kinda hard to explain...most drag setups are this way...
Old 09-10-2005, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ya while i was putting my kit on i was thinking how cool that would be to mount mine like that. i have the hytech manifold i think some day if i realy wanted i could have it modified to mount the turbo like that but for now ill stick with this set-up