Notices

HorsePower Im Mind - Downpipe and Dumptube Setups. What Makes The Most HP?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HorsePower Im Mind - Downpipe and Dumptube Setups. What Makes The Most HP?

I will be fabbing up my downpipe and dumptube this week or the week after. All I want is a direct answer and if you have proof please post it.

I am running a build D16, going to be running about 16-18pounds through a t3 .60/.63, Im definetely running a 3" DP with no cat and no muffler. My downpipe is passenger side routd and my dumptube will have to be started facing the drivers side fender

HOW DO I MAKE THE MOST POWER?

Open Dumptube
Route Dumptube Down To the Ground Not Into Downpipe
Route Dumptube Into Downpipe (where abouts)

Hope I can get some informative and CORRECT answers
Old 10-27-2005, 07:05 PM

Default Re: HorsePower Im Mind - Downpipe and Dumptube Setups. What Makes The Most HP? (W O T)

Cmon, wheres the techies

cant sleep bump
Old 10-28-2005, 08:20 AM

Default Re: HorsePower Im Mind - Downpipe and Dumptube Setups. What Makes The Most HP? (W O T)

Old 10-28-2005, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would like to know this also, BTW where is everybody?
Old 10-28-2005, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AbitAvenger)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by W O T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I will be fabbing up my downpipe and dumptube this week or the week after. All I want is a direct answer and if you have proof please post it.

I am running a build D16, going to be running about 16-18pounds through a t3 .60/.63, Im definetely running a 3" DP with no cat and no muffler. My downpipe is passenger side routd and my dumptube will have to be started facing the drivers side fender

HOW DO I MAKE THE MOST POWER?

Open Dumptube
Route Dumptube Down To the Ground Not Into Downpipe
Route Dumptube Into Downpipe (where abouts)

Hope I can get some informative and CORRECT answers</TD></TR></TABLE>

Choices 1 and 2 are both open dumptube. The ideal set-up is to route the dumptube underneath the oil pan like your DP goes. This will keep any of the hot exhaust gases from the dumptube from getting sucked back into your turbo. Although not neccessary, you'll start to see more significant gains with higher HP/PSI.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:55 AM
JAY

Default Re: (JDM_EH2)

my dump tube goes right past the oil pan along side the dp and dumps to the ground....very quiet too
Old 10-28-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Re: (JAY)

I think I would like to route my dumptube back into my downpipe as far back as possible and at as slight of a degree as possible, I want to do this because I can then attach my 2 cat exhaust setup so I can pass the sniffer, open dumptube obviously wouldnt pass correct? How do you guys do it?
Old 10-28-2005, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (W O T)

Im not sure on all these emission things, but I think it would pass. I mean, do they do full throttle pulls to see? It would pass the sniffer if you didnt enter boost on the test, but visual is another story.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (W O T)

My dumptube.

No I do not want any of your opinions on my oil return line...I don't give a *** what you "think". Been working fine for years

only bummer on my dumptube is the metal on the flexible stuff is thin so its loud when the wastegate opens. Thicker metal will be more quiet.

Old 10-28-2005, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike1114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No I do not want any of your opinions on my oil return line...I don't give a *** what you "think". Been working fine for years</TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry man, i cant help it... craaap!! i cant believe you'd run that heh...
Old 10-28-2005, 04:17 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I would think that running it into the eshaust much like a DSM would be the quietest, but if you wanna do what everyone else says, run it down to the ground via a tube and let it vent into the atmosphere is ok. I am not sure how you would actually increase the HP of your vehicle, but thats in the mind of the beholder.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:31 PM

Default Re: (SlowSpyder)

I also need to pass emissions though, a lot of these people dont have e-tests
Old 10-28-2005, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by W O T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I also need to pass emissions though, a lot of these people dont have e-tests</TD></TR></TABLE>

you're running no cat, no muffler and possibly an open dump tube...and you want to pass a smog test? W O W.

You're the reason why the cops around here harass the people who follow all the rules.

anyway, if you do enough searching you'll find that 18" away from the turbo is where you want tap back into the exhaust.

i wish you luck when E.R.A.S.E. pulls you over. lol
Old 10-28-2005, 05:02 PM

Default Re: HorsePower Im Mind - Downpipe and Dumptube Setups. What Makes The Most HP? (2point2)

Im in Ontario just like you man

I will have a temporary exhaust that I wil make and install for my etest that will have a cat (possibly 2), a small cherry bomb muffler and exit

Obviously I would need to tie the dumptube into this exhaust to pass though

But I guess itll hurt performance a little
Old 10-28-2005, 07:41 PM
rhd

i think the 18" rule come from when ppl were running larger turbos with smaller downpipes a while back

a lot of V8 guys that dump theirs back in...are close. i've seen some that are literally a 90* out of the wastegate and back in the exhaust...and this was a mid/low 8 SBF...

if you're running a larger downpipe (3.5" or 4") i think you'd be ok routing it back in just about anywhere....

but, if you don't care at the time..just dump it near the exhaust dump and say expletive noise
Old 10-28-2005, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

open down pipe gets you laid!
Old 10-28-2005, 08:26 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: HorsePower Im Mind - Downpipe and Dumptube Setups. What Makes The Most HP? (Spanky Loves Boost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spanky Loves Boost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">open down pipe gets you laid! </TD></TR></TABLE>Not im my Eclipse. The BOV and the turbo spool got me laid. Externally gated into my exhaust.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:37 PM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: HorsePower Im Mind - Downpipe and Dumptube Setups. What Makes The Most HP? (Spanky Loves Boost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spanky Loves Boost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">open down pipe gets you laid! </TD></TR></TABLE>

I wish that was the case, Ive got open DP WG and BOV and havent seen any actio yet. lol I love open Dp and I dunno if could drive it any other way. My friend had open DP for a while after he did is SR20 swap. He had to put on an exh. for emissions. Less then a week after emissions he had dropped it off again lol. It may smell bad at the stop light, but it sure makes up for it when you can really hear the turbo spool and whistle lol.

Blaze
Old 10-28-2005, 10:33 PM

Default Re: HorsePower Im Mind - Downpipe and Dumptube Setups. What Makes The Most HP? (Blaze45)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blaze45 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I wish that was the case, Ive got open DP WG and BOV and havent seen any actio yet. lol I love open Dp and I dunno if could drive it any other way. My friend had open DP for a while after he did is SR20 swap. He had to put on an exh. for emissions. Less then a week after emissions he had dropped it off again lol. It may smell bad at the stop light, but it sure makes up for it when you can really hear the turbo spool and whistle lol.

Blaze</TD></TR></TABLE>[QUOTE=Blaze45]

I would think you could hear the turbo spool louder with it ran back into the downpipie to shut it up, why would it be louder open?
Old 10-29-2005, 10:55 AM

Old 10-29-2005, 11:27 AM

he means open downpipe, u can hear the turbo spooling like crazy
Old 10-29-2005, 01:05 PM

Default Re: (B18 CYA)

alrighty, open downpipe with the dumptube tied in right at the very very end of it so I cannt a test pipe and exhaust come emissions time
Old 10-29-2005, 01:21 PM

Default Re: HorsePower Im Mind - Downpipe and Dumptube Setups. What Makes The Most HP? (2point2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2point2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you're running no cat, no muffler and possibly an open dump tube...and you want to pass a smog test? W O W.

You're the reason why the cops around here harass the people who follow all the rules.

anyway, if you do enough searching you'll find that 18" away from the turbo is where you want tap back into the exhaust.

i wish you luck when E.R.A.S.E. pulls you over. lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

Uhh I have no cat muffler and run open dump and I passed emissions with flying colors.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:36 PM

Default Re: HorsePower Im Mind - Downpipe and Dumptube Setups. What Makes The Most HP? (adseguy)

Did you have a dirty etest done? Its impossible to pass emissions with open dump and obviously no cat and with the exhaust ending so short, care to explain?
Old 10-29-2005, 02:41 PM

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1305346

Quick Reply: HorsePower Im Mind - Downpipe and Dumptube Setups. What Makes The Most HP?