Notices

Hondata VS Zdyne - please help me decide.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hondata VS Zdyne - please help me decide.

Hey guys, I have a Hondata S200B w/datalogging system. A fellow H-T member offered what seems to be a great deal. He wants to trade his Zdyne Super ECU Gold, with all options. This saves me the hassle of converting to OBD1. Only downside is no datalogging......yet. Should I go for the trade? Any/all help would be very much appreciated. Here is my setup:

B18A bored .20
JE Pistons
Eagle Rods
STR block guard
Skunk 2 intake manifold
EF1 L28 Cams with Skunk 2 cam gears
Precision Injectors (not ordered yet, 680-720cc?)
Other random nonsense.

I'm going for probably 6psi daily, and I'm going to have it tuned for best possible output.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Hondata VS Zdyne - please help me decide. (Hoosier Daddy)

Are you going to tune the car that much yourself?
Old 12-19-2003, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Hondata VS Zdyne - please help me decide. (JGurr81)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JGurr81 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you going to tune the car that much yourself?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Gonna get it tuned by the pros, but I may venture into it after I acquire the necessary knowledge.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would definatly trade, its just that there is no datalogging with the zdyne
Old 12-19-2003, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Hondata VS Zdyne - please help me decide. (legendboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by legendboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would definatly trade, its just that there is no datalogging with the zdyne </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's the only thing I don't like about it, but honestly, I'm not sure how much i'd even use the feature.
Old 12-19-2003, 02:20 PM

Yea thats how i am right now, but i just thought id go for hondata s100 since you can tune it yourself(just gotta get all the equipment). Right now i wont be tuning myself but once i know how to do it i will want to
Old 12-19-2003, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Hondata VS Zdyne - please help me decide. (legendboy)

if the z dyne had datalogging would it be better than the hondata
Old 12-19-2003, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Hondata VS Zdyne - please help me decide. (viprcr1)

I dont even know what Zdyne does haha! I jsut know it is similar to the Ghetodyne, Uberdata, etc. Isn't just kinda like a homeade hondata
(sorta)
Old 12-19-2003, 02:45 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JGurr81 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont even know what Zdyne does haha! I jsut know it is similar to the Ghetodyne, Uberdata, etc. Isn't just kinda like a homeade hondata
(sorta)</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.zdyne.com

What I like about it is you can tune on the fly without programming a new chip every time. That, and it's a direct ECU replacement.
Old 12-19-2003, 02:51 PM

Damn, thats expensive. Is it THAT good?? I mean you could almost get an AEM EMS for that much. And definately a Hondata(plus you could tune it yourself this way). Wow i thought this was one of those cheap forms of engine managment that you burn chips and stuff like Uberdata.
Old 12-19-2003, 02:51 PM

Well the S100 fits inside the ecu, thats what I also like about it! No wires!
Old 12-19-2003, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get the Zdyne! I used to have one and loved it! On the fly programing, very easy install and a very easy to understand program. I used it with a Techedge wideband to tune my oldset and it kicked some seroius ***!!
Old 12-19-2003, 03:37 PM

Default Re: Hondata VS Zdyne - please help me decide. (89civic1.8T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 89civic1.8T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Get the Zdyne! I used to have one and loved it! On the fly programing, very easy install and a very easy to understand program. I used it with a Techedge wideband to tune my oldset and it kicked some seroius ***!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Did not being to datalog bother you? The way I see it is datalogging will help me see what's wrong with the car and what settings i'd need to change.
Old 12-19-2003, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You just need to do what I did. I used the techedge widband to tune car on the street to 10 psi. I did a really safe tune. I pulled timming 1*/psi and keeped my A/F ratio's under 11.5:1 Then go to a dyno and get it tuned a bit cleaner for more power. Data logging is nice but not needed. My techedge windband does have an output for data logging but I never messed with it.

Also you don't need such large injectors if your only going to run 6 psi. I was running 12 PSI on my stock B18B with the 450's and didn't have any leaning problems.
Old 12-19-2003, 03:56 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 89civic1.8T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You just need to do what I did. I used the techedge widband to tune car on the street to 10 psi. I did a really safe tune. I pulled timming 1*/psi and keeped my A/F ratio's under 11.5:1 Then go to a dyno and get it tuned a bit cleaner for more power. Data logging is nice but not needed. My techedge windband does have an output for data logging but I never messed with it.

Also you don't need such large injectors if your only going to run 6 psi. I was running 12 PSI on my stock B18B with the 450's and didn't have any leaning problems. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What did you use? Hondata? I'm gonna be boosting 6psi daily, but more during race...probably around 15, maybe more if the block can handle it.
Old 12-19-2003, 04:24 PM

GET THE ZDYNE, i had one...they are great. A friend of mine made his own program, much like zdyne, and chips the ecu with a flashable chip. You used to have to burn a new chip for every tune, but now it works like zdyne, and you just hook up a phone cable plug on the ecu, and a seriel connector to a computor and you can real-time flash the ecu. It now has Datalogging which is working 100% now. As for the engines, so far, I believe, he has been able to do any non-vtec motor thats OBD-0 on a PM6, but i am B16, so a PM6 chipped ecu, with a my old VAFC controlling vtec, and you just tune the maps for the fuel and ignition hump at switchover...works perfect....stay tuned

Brett
Old 12-19-2003, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Hondata VS Zdyne - please help me decide. (yellowhonda88)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yellowhonda88 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">GET THE ZDYNE, i had one...they are great. A friend of mine made his own program, much like zdyne, and chips the ecu with a flashable chip. You used to have to burn a new chip for every tune, but now it works like zdyne, and you just hook up a phone cable plug on the ecu, and a seriel connector to a computor and you can real-time flash the ecu. It now has Datalogging which is working 100% now. As for the engines, so far, I believe, he has been able to do any non-vtec motor thats OBD-0 on a PM6, but i am B16, so a PM6 chipped ecu, with a my old VAFC controlling vtec, and you just tune the maps for the fuel and ignition hump at switchover...works perfect....stay tuned

Brett</TD></TR></TABLE>

So I'd be able to use Zdyne for tuning and something similar to his setup for datalogging?
Old 12-19-2003, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 89civic1.8T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Get the Zdyne! I used to have one and loved it! On the fly programing, very easy install and a very easy to understand program. I used it with a Techedge wideband to tune my oldset and it kicked some seroius ***!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

what kind of power did you put down with the zdyne?
Old 12-19-2003, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is it true that Zdyne doesn't have B18 basemaps?? what do you do in that case??
Old 12-19-2003, 07:42 PM

Default Re: (DA-MAX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DA-MAX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is it true that Zdyne doesn't have B18 basemaps?? what do you do in that case??</TD></TR></TABLE>

There are some on this site. Not sure how good they are...

http://www.geocities.com/civic_fi/zdyne/zdyne.html
Old 12-19-2003, 07:55 PM

Default Re: (Hoosier Daddy)

Definatley get the ZDYNE. I bought one for my turbo'd ZC. I haven't got the car finished yet, but i've logged in some hours just playing around with the software just to get used to it. And i'm an extreme novice when it comes to tuning, and i had no problem figuring it out. Plus when i bought my Zdyne, i believe the guys name is Bill, told me they were working on a datalogging feature but where unsure of when it would be done. So we can always look forward to that.
Old 12-19-2003, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata VS Zdyne - please help me decide. (speeddave)

I never got it to the dyno once it was done. But I did take it there before I widebaned it myself. At 8 psi I put down only 185 WHP. The idiots at the shop told me to lean it out to make more power (I was running 14:1 AF across the board!!!) I later got my own widband and tuned it to 12 psi and keeped it very rich. I made my own maps because after messing with the base ones soo much the timing got messed up as well as the fuel. I am guessing I was making 230+ WHP when I sold the car. I took it to the track but couldn't break out of the 14's because the car would spin in every gear. I think the track conditions had alot to do with that because on the way home from the track it didn't spin in 4th and 5th.
Old 12-19-2003, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Hondata VS Zdyne - please help me decide. (yellowhonda88)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yellowhonda88 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> It now has Datalogging which is working 100% now. Brett</TD></TR></TABLE>

When did this become a feature? I'm pretty sure it's still not possible to datalog.

Ryan P.
Old 12-19-2003, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

those are pretty good numbers! i'm curious as to what the limitations of the zydne are? is there a limit to injector size or RPM range? it seems like a good alternative for the obd-0 guys.
Old 12-19-2003, 10:51 PM
New User

Default Re: Hondata VS Zdyne - please help me decide. (speeddave)

I made 232hp and 180ft lbs with a blown turbo, teensy downpipe, and a few other problems on my 9.0:1 compression b16a with a Z-Dyne.

It's a great system, but not having dual rev(hi/low cam) settings on the maps bothers me. It likes to act a little funny right around VTEC because of this.

Anyway, It's great. So far so good. 3 years + now.