Notices

Hondata tunning in South East

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hondata tunning in South East

Does anyone know a reputable shop that does Hondata tunning somewhere around Atlanta. I need to get my car retuned and was wanting to get some opinions on some shops, before i call around and set up a time.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata tunning in South East (dwilson)

Ed at balanced performance is good. Paul
Old 04-14-2003, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata tunning in South East (TurboD16Z6)

Have you had anything tuned by him or talking just by someone referring him to you? Anyone else?

P.S Thanks
Old 04-14-2003, 12:44 PM
New User

I hear Ed @ Balanced Performance is pretty good, however, this is NOT from personal experience.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata tunning in South East (ModlesSI)

Anyone ever use Ed to tune your car?
Old 04-14-2003, 01:12 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

Vaportrail in florida
Old 04-14-2003, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That would suck to not have a tuner in your area =| I'm glad VaporTrail/SS is near me.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Make the trip to Fla.
it will be worth it
see Vapor Trail & get it done right
Old 04-14-2003, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ed personally tuned my and 3 other buddies car. My car had problems on the dyno so no clean #s. My buddy's stock ls motor with drag kit at 9psi put down 238whp with very conservative timing maps. A stock gsr with drag turbo put down 300whp at 12psi, etc. You get the point. Ed is the best bet around the atl area. This was all on hondata. Vaportrail might be better if your willing to take the drive. Tampa is around 6hrs away from me and atl is the same, so my next trip might be to tampa to let john tune. We'll see. Hope that clears some things up. Paul
Old 04-14-2003, 05:39 PM
New User

Just czeching in
Old 04-17-2003, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata tunning in South East (VaporTrail)

Well guys i am off to the dyno in the morning I have booked a session at Balanced Performance. Ed is going to tune the car, I just couldnt get myself to drive as far a Flordia right now (sorry Vaportrail). I am going for 11psi on stock internal. Does anyone know what kind of # i should be looking for with a T3/T4E setup on a 95 LS motor? Also what kind of A/F ratio should i be looking at? Thanks in advance
Old 04-17-2003, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is this the same ed that tuned boostedSi's EMS? cuz i dont think he did a good job on that car.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata tunning in South East (Mase)

I am not for sure, but i called around in Atlanta and every shop that i called said that he was the one that was there tuner. I would like to know though before i go down and spen 300 bucks on a lousy tune. Anyone know?
Old 04-17-2003, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata tunning in South East (0x64)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 0x64 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That would suck to not have a tuner in your area =| I'm glad VaporTrail/SS is near me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I second that one
Old 04-17-2003, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dwilson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am not for sure, but i called around in Atlanta and every shop that i called said that he was the one that was there tuner. I would like to know though before i go down and spen 300 bucks on a lousy tune. Anyone know?</TD></TR></TABLE>
i hear the same thing, many people around atl will refer u to ed at balanced performance. update me on how things go b/c ima go tune in about a month or so...
Old 04-17-2003, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is this the same ed that tuned boostedSi's EMS? cuz i dont think he did a good job on that car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i think it was ed who tuned boostedsi's ride.. but from what i heard from my installer, ed is not too good/familiar with the aem ems..he is much more familiar with hondata.. my installer told me that since ed doesnt do the aem so well, he is going to california for a aem ems tuning session that is being held this week. so if anyone needs help in atl area, im sure you can give him a call, his shop is in my sig if anyone cares..personally, im doing hondata and letting ed tune it as soon as i get my car back and running.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ed tunes very conservative. He leaves the timing maps pretty conservative and get the a/f at around 12:1. If your happy with what it makes, he quits. It really depends on the customer and how much power/timing they want to make. Like i said, my buddy with drag turbo ls motor, bone stock and hondata put down 238whp which was on a very conservative timing map. Good luck to you and hope everything goes well. Let us know how it goes. Paul
Old 04-17-2003, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It probably is the same ed that tuned boostedsi's car, but i don't know how famililar ed is with the aem. My overall experience with ed has been pretty good. Paul
Old 04-17-2003, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata tunning in South East (TurboD16Z6)

if thats the ed, he told boostedsi that his injectors were maxed out at like 254 whp on a b16a, i think he had atleast 550 cc injectors, he damn should have known something wasnt right, His duty cycle was sky high, and that doesnt have anything to do w/ knowing the EMS or not, thats general knowledge.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

True, if duty cycles are too high, either injectors are too small or something isnt' right. I think boosted si was running 700cc injectors, somewhere in that range. But is it the tuner's responsibility to diagnose problems? If a customer comes to get his car tuned, the tuner tunes it. If something isnt' right, he should let the customer know. I mean, did ed know the injector sizes? All depends on the situation. Seems like to me ED WAS at fault cause he should've at least said injectors too small, or find out more info. Sometimes, the customer must have an idea of what isn't right too. I mean if my injectors were maxing out at 254whp, i would have said ok, something isn't right, time to get off the dyno and find out what's wrong. Just my 2 cents. Paul
Old 04-17-2003, 08:15 PM

Here ya go man...Ed tuned my car so I can speak from personal experiences. And don't expect to get a perfect tune with just couple of hours, I don't think anyone can! This is a stock GSR block with stock Honda map sensor boosting at 12 psi. Engine ran good throughout the whole last racing season. I finally tore the engine down to put in my Eagle block, and sold the block to a Honda-tech member. Not a single hiccup from that block. I am going back to Ed again to tune my car with a GE sleeved block, full race manifold. Waiting for couple of flanges to finish up my engine. Sorry the pic is not that clear, I had to dig this back up and scan it for you just now.

Old 04-17-2003, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata tunning in South East (karmannghia)

why is th graph jumpy in the upper rpm range??

[/QUOTE]
Old 04-17-2003, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata tunning in South East (TrboGSR)

I believe it was ignition problems. He was on stock ignition system. That's the only thing we figured and this was on a tiny t3/to4b turbo. Paul
Old 04-18-2003, 08:28 AM

Default Re: Hondata tunning in South East (TrboGSR)

Stock ignition, stock map sensor, DSM injectors.
Old 04-18-2003, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata tunning in South East (karmannghia)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by karmannghia &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And don't expect to get a perfect tune with just couple of hours, I don't think anyone can! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Vaportrail nailed tuning in about 3 tries, my baseline pull was 225 hp on a b18b at 6.5 psi. after tweaking it slightly, i raised the boost and was at 270 whp in no time. I think he seriously burned a new chip maybe 4 times at most. so id say it only took him about an hour to actually tune my car

Quick Reply: Hondata tunning in South East