Notices

Hondata - success story!?!? (long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 09:44 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hondata - success story!?!? (long)

I've been waiting for a while now to purchase and have the Hondata installed and tuned and finally did so this weekend. My plan was to take the 3 hour trip and drive to PA to meet Gruvytune. We were going to spend Saturday morining installing the Hondata and injectors, break for lunch, then tune in the afternoon. My plan was to leave for home on Saturday around 6 p.m. I met at Gurvytune's and we installed my DSM 450cc injectors and Hondata on Saturday. Removing the stock injectors, the missing link check valve and the Vortech FMU and installing the resistor box, and 450cc DSM injectors took roughly 3 hours. Yea, things were going good. No problems with that stuff. Then we go to install the Hondata and BOOM!!! No, nothing blew up. Instead we found out that I had ordered the wrong OBD conversion harness - I thought the day ended with this screw up. I was ready to re-install the stock injectors and pack up and head home. But hell no... Gruvytune wasn't going to let a little think like an unmatching ~80 wire conversion harness stop him. He insisted that we (more like him) can rewire the harness. So for the next 6 hours he desoldered and resoldered that entire harness. I did help... I ate the pizza, drank the Coke, nodded off in the corner a couple times and attempted to keep Gruvytune from killing me for screwing up. So it's about 8 p.m. when he finishes the harness (very nice soldering job too - he's a little **** - that's GOOD FOR ME). We install the harness and turn the car over - NOTHING! Blown fuse, we change the fuse, turn it over again - damn, blown fuse again. This is not good. About this time it's 10 p.m. and we need to find a place with replacement fuses. For the next 2 hours we drive around everywhere looking for a place that sells them - unfortunatly every place has the larger fuses and not the smaller one that we needed. We finally drive 30mins away to the nearest all night Walmart. I buy 15 fuses and we head back. We double check the harness and Gruvytune attempts to trouble shoot the possible problem. What was I doing - Oh, falling asleep on his couch. I couldnt stay awake. About 2 a.m. I passed out. Sunday moring rolls around and Gruvytune decides that we should check all the wire connections on the harness to see if anything is shorted out - yeup, that was it... we found that the ECU ground and power wire (I believe) were short due to a solder piece that was crossing. So we (he) end up fixing that. BAM the car starts right up. After installing the wideband and trouble shooting a few small technical issues we were off and tuning. (Sorry... I'll speed this up). 4 hours of wideband street tuning resulted in a stock feeling turbocharged vehicle. The car feels great, awesome... it is sooooo smoooooth! The transition from vac to boost is so NICE. The car pulls harder and feels much faster. I am in awe. After fixing the harness screw up the install and tuning went by pretty quickly.

I just want to publicly thank Gruvytune and recommend anyone in the PA area or within 6 hours driving distance to take advantage of is expertise... he is very good and very professional (and very patient). The Hondata is well worth the money. Just remember to order the correct harness in the first place and it will take no time to install and street tune.

Oh, my set up is: 99' GSR with Drag Gen III (Tial wastegate). I went from running .4bar with the FMU to running .4bar and .65bar with the Hondata. The DSM injectors are registering ~60-70% duty cycle at .65bar, with a peak fuel rail pressure of 4bar. Oh, one more thing, I am using the stock pfr and it seems to be working fine.

Tune your car with a standalone - it's fantastic and worth every penny.
Old 05-28-2002, 10:40 AM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Hondata - success story!?!? (LEON)

damn, that is a good story. U r making me jealous, i want to get my hondata in too. why didnt u dyno tune though?
Old 05-28-2002, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Hondata - success story!?!? (DIRep972)

Good stuff! to gruvytune
Old 05-28-2002, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hondata - success story!?!? (DIRep972)

damn, that is a good story. U r making me jealous, i want to get my hondata in too. why didnt u dyno tune though?
Yeah me too. HINT HINT !!
Damn if only I could learn how to tune well. I have a wideband FJO available to me and a friend with a stage 4 who lives 10 minutes away--aaaaahhhhh I want to be tuned and running 10+ psi!!!

Good story though. Hmm Im in Pa, but still far from Gruveytune (I think--im in philly area). This is good to know if I ever get the time to stop up and have some tuning done for me by him.
Old 05-28-2002, 10:48 AM

Wow, thats amazing. Exactly what i wanted to hear I was planning on getting my hondata done with gruvy but i wanted some feed back to make sure he's ligit and everything. You just sold me on the idea!!! Thanks
Old 05-28-2002, 11:02 AM
New User

Default Re: Hondata - success story!?!? (ekb18c)

gruvytune is the man.
Old 05-28-2002, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata - success story!?!? (93LSivic)

gotta love all nighters, good job supervising
Old 05-28-2002, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Hondata - success story!?!? (lucas569)

There is always something. But would the smile have been as big if it all went to plan?
Old 05-28-2002, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Gruvytune=good people
Old 05-28-2002, 01:24 PM
New User

I was hoping people would like the story! Man it really sucked. It would be one thing to assemble a conversion harness (I think I would rather pay the $200) but to disassemble one and reassemble one all in 4hrs and have it not work! Well, good thing for my intuition (pat myself on the back) for thinking of shorts in the harness cause otherwise we would be barking up all the wrong trees.

Either way, I thank Chad for pushing my limits on patience and tolerance (not of him, he's a great guy). No, I didn't charge him for 8hrs of extra work although I do not want to go through a repeat performance in case any others of you plan on ordering the wrong stuff!

The tuning went extremely well. Wideband street tuning is THE way to go. I won't go arguing with any dyno tuners about it. We will be taking the car to the dyno in a month or so just to see if we can eek out a few more horses by timing changes. I will add that once you street tune the car it will make no sense in making any major changes in fueling on the dyno. perhaps just see if we can lean out to get some more power but not enough to start detonating is all. Make any changes on the dyno based on air:fuel ratios and you will then sacrifice the driveabilty that "LEON" is in awe about now.

All in all...a success. Dyno plots to follow. Anyone interested in the datalogs to see the curves can ask.

Torin
Old 05-28-2002, 02:00 PM
New User

Default Re: Hondata - success story!?!? (GruvyTune)

wow, sounds great! I'm looking forward to doing some wideband tuning on my car, i've got the FJO wideband and a hondata stage 4b, i just need to wire up my 550cc injectors!

GruvyTune, i got a couple questions for ya:
What a/f ratio do you tune for under boost? What about when not under boost?
Also, did you use the emulator? What did you do for power?

-Xerxes
Old 05-28-2002, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Quick question, I plan on tuning a supercharged h22 motor. How do you exactly go about tuning the ignition curve? How much advance do you usually start on, and how does it change with higher RPMs.
Old 05-28-2002, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata - success story!?!? (99_SH)

good job. I need to get my hondata and injectors in. Been sitting in my garage for a long time juss waiting for DSR to open up their dyno again
Old 05-28-2002, 04:25 PM
New User

does this help?

this is the timing for the H22a (it says gsr at the top but i loaded the timing for the h22

[Modified by GruvyTune, 8:25 PM 5/28/2002]
Old 05-28-2002, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

GruvyTune:

just fyi, on the dyno I lost power at 27+ degrees ignition advance at 7psi. 26 deg advance made the most power......
Old 05-28-2002, 06:09 PM
New User

Default Re: Hondata - success story!?!? (dustin)

Gruvytune, you are da man!
Old 05-28-2002, 06:19 PM
New User

Default Re: Hondata - success story!?!? (dustin)

dustin,
was that your maximum advance??? High and low cams??
stock advance is as high as 39degrees on top of the base mechanical advance on the B18C1.

Old 05-28-2002, 06:38 PM
New User

Default Re: Hondata - success story!?!? (Xerxes)

I tune for 14.7 for low throttle low rpms and increase to about 12.5:1 in high boost.
I aim to get closed loop so the stock o2 sensor has no more than +/- 10% fluctuation.
Old 05-28-2002, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! great story!!!!!!!!
i cant wait
Old 05-29-2002, 05:53 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Hondata - success story!?!? (SiRkid)

Things are running great. If you have Hondata I would suggest installing it as soon as possible --- you will smile a lot more. Also, street tuning is highly advised and really makes the most sense for a street driven vehicle. Tuning is quick and painless (well with GruvyTune it was).

I cant wait to get it on the dyno.
Old 05-29-2002, 06:41 AM

Good story... Hopefully in a few months when I get my Hondata setup I will come to PA and look you up, even though I am NA..
Old 05-29-2002, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata - success story!?!? (Jason kiDD)

Great job Gruvvy, good to see uh Honda folk helping each other out with all the scamsters out there..

<-- for Gruvvy
Old 05-29-2002, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the image gruvytune, one question though. Between the first and second tables there's a difference between the timing. Look at the 2000rpm row for both tables, the timing is very different. Could you explain why this is?

as you can see i'm not too familiar with hondata's software.
Old 05-29-2002, 11:56 AM
New User

One is for the low speed cam one is for the vtec cam. timing is different for the two because the cams keep the valves open at different timing points.

the other thing is that the vtec cam will never be open at that point anyway so ignore those values!

[Modified by GruvyTune, 3:57 PM 5/29/2002]
Old 05-29-2002, 12:29 PM

GruvyTune: Gimme a shout out when you are in Kentucky. Like that'll happen...

Quick Reply: Hondata - success story!?!? (long)