Notices

Hondata S300 not controlling MAC valve

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hondata S300 not controlling MAC valve

Hello-

To begin - I built my car about 4 years back, had it tuned, and made ~400 HP at the wheels on 21PSI. I have since been way too busy to revisit the sport of tuning, and fallen by the wayside in terms of my knowledge anymore. I simply couldn't keep up with everything else in life from my job to my other hobbies.

Quick details - B18C1, OEM sleeves, CP pistons/Eagle rods, Ferrea valvetrain, OEM cams. Motorola MAP sensor, Hondata S300, MAC boost solenoid, Tial 38mm wastegate, 3" downpipe and exhaust, Peakboost manifold.

I have since revisited my car and have a question regarding the boost control.

When I had the car tuned (who knows what version of Hondata software I used, but I guarantee you will laugh if I take a datalog with it) everything worked great. The boost-by-gear worked, and the computer regulated boost just fine. As of recently, the car just won't build any boost and the only remedy is to completely bypass the solenoid and rely on the wastegate to allow 1bar of boost.

On top of this, there is a very nasty loss of acceleration under full throttle in 3rd and 4th gear somewhere around 5000-6000RPM and roughly 60MPH.

I haven't had time to do any datalogs or troubleshooting, and I would appreciate some guidance on getting the newest software/firmware/whatever set up to do so. I am a competent builder but know very little about tuning the build.

Please let me know if I should provide more details!

Thanks in advance
Sebastian
Old 12-21-2011, 07:30 AM

Default Re: Hondata S300 not controlling MAC valve

After you open up smanager, click "help", then "check for updates". This will allow you to download the most recent version. More than likely though this isn't the reason for the MAC solenoid not operating correctly. I'd suggest double checking your wiring to the solenoid as well as where you pinned into the ECU for boost control..
Old 12-21-2011, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata S300 not controlling MAC valve

Originally Posted by HAMOTORSPORTS
After you open up smanager, click "help", then "check for updates". This will allow you to download the most recent version. More than likely though this isn't the reason for the MAC solenoid not operating correctly. I'd suggest double checking your wiring to the solenoid as well as where you pinned into the ECU for boost control..
Agreed. Dont think that would cause the issue youre having like they stated, but you should def get the newest version of the S300 software...The solenoid could just be bad, its not that uncommon for them to fail. Mine failed after 1.5 years and that was the actual hondata solenoid. I now have the AEM solenoid but there all the same.

In the help section make sure everything was pinned correctly since boost by gear requires additional hardware installed in the ECU. You did say it was working fine before you stored it so i dont think that would be the issue but its worth double checking. next step would be playing around with the duty cycle too see if that has any change on the boost. ( since tempature can effect boost readings with the boost by gear settings, if tuned in warm weather now its freezing it normally has some effect on it) If not i would probably change the solenoid and go from there after you ruled everything out. I had issues with creep and ended up having to weld a bung on my charge pipe right out of the turbo. That solved my issues. but it seems if its not working at all its the solenoid, wiring, or hardware issue.

As far as the hesitation im not sure could be alot of things....i suggest going back to the tuner for a re-tune once you get the boost by gear worked out.