Notices

Hondata s200 or Uberteg's chip? Opinions please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hondata s200 or Uberteg's chip? Opinions please!

I am currently lookin into some type of fmu and have been reading into Uberteg's chip ecu w/ a safc. Seems a little to good to be true but I need more input on this. I like Hondata cause it seems like everyone is leaning towards Hondata and I have no problem payin the money for a product that is well worth it. Been reading all 5 pages of Ubertegs chipped topic all I understand is that

1) i buy the chip, have you set it up for 310cc injectors
2) i install the chip
2.5) Car Runs well enough to drive even to a dyno
3) make a quick run of hp/tq and a/f
4) e-mail them to you
5) SEnd you the chip back
6) you modify chip

Or I can just do 1-3 and adjust it myself through a S-afc? And is that all that I'll need to spend? Compared to a Hondata that already has a name for itself.

Hondata s200
3 step rev limiter
boost option
rounds out to be around 540 but it's well worth it right?

Uberteg's chip 100 bucks
S-afc 250
and is said that it can basically do the same thing an s200 can do if not better all off
my laptop.

I just need some opinions from people with hondata and Ubertegs chip before I buy one or the other.

Thanks,
Roy
Old 03-31-2003, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Hondata s200 or Uberteg's chip? Opinions please! (roydogg)

The s100 with boost runs 400.00 (ks-motorsports deal), which is all that you need unless you plan on datalogging all the time (I never touched my hondata once its set-up, so the datalogging to me seems to be a waste unless you are tuning). Uberteg's chip seems to work great, very similar to the older xs engineering boost chips. Cost effectiveness the uberteg chip is a better deal, its just what you want out of your engine. Timing has a more profound effect on horsepower/torque that I have found over fuel. Assuming the timing maps are set up well, then you should be good to go.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata s200 or Uberteg's chip? Opinions please! (boosted hybrid)

Uberteg's chips work great, have datalogging support and a few nifty features like launch revlimit, etc.

Hondata S100 is a very good product, go get it dyno tuned at a Hondata dealer for a few extra $$$ and don't worry about it type of solution. The S200 runs a bit more than $540, doesn't it?

Either way is a winner, but I don't think your injectors are big enough for much boost. You are wise to avoid the FMU route. My $0.02
Old 03-31-2003, 11:27 AM

Hondata
Old 03-31-2003, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Hondata s200 or Uberteg's chip? Opinions please! (Diego Boost)

Hondata is good if you have the money to get it and get it tuned. Ubertegs chip works just as good as the s100 system Soon there will be datalogginf out for his chip also.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata s200 or Uberteg's chip? Opinions please! (TurboDC4)

Unless you have the software to fully tune the uberteg chip, its still just a chip. More or less its a guess of what the engine "should" like. I have been proven wrong on a number of occasions tuning hondata with what engines have liked. For instance I gained power on a gsr by running its at 11.5:1 rather than 12:1 with my wideband. I have also seen almost no power increase with the timing set at .8 degree per pound of boost retard, compared to the standard .5 degree per pound of boost retard. For the most part though, honda engines responed the same way with tuning under boost (12.5:1 air/fuel, .5 degree retard per pound of boost).

Point is, unless you have a tuner that can tune with the Uberteg software, then you are a severe disadvantage when compared to hondata. If and when the tuning software becomes available, it depends on if tuners have enough demand to learn the software and tune customers cars with the Uberchip. The Uberchip has a long way to go in that respect compared to hondata.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:52 AM

Uberteg's chip seems to work great, very similar to the older xs engineering boost chips.
Plz dont compare my chip with turbo xs's chip... turbo xs's chip is just a stock program pretty much with retarded timing on the last map column so it doesnt provide more fuel for boost, and it doesnt retard per lbs.

Point is, unless you have a tuner that can tune with the Uberteg software, then you are a severe disadvantage when compared to hondata. If and when the tuning software becomes available, it depends on if tuners have enough demand to learn the software and tune customers cars with the Uberchip. The Uberchip has a long way to go in that respect compared to hondata.
you are 100% correct However, lshatchturbo has had great results leaning it out with his $20 filetofit afc. And the new version that comes with the datalogger will come with the editor too...

edit:

My chip isnt really aimed at being competiton for hondata right now because its not. It will be competition once i get datalogging and the rom editor out . Its aimed towards afc hack people (who already have an afc to tune it with). If someone spends $3000 on a custom turbo kit, another $500 for a hondata is nothing to them.

[Modified by UberTeg, 9:00 PM 3/31/2003]
Old 03-31-2003, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata s200 or Uberteg's chip? Opinions please! (UberTeg)

I was thinking more in terms of the xs engineering boost chip's recalibrated maps to run 440cc injectors. I dont know anything about the maps, I have never seen any type of software with the respective maps to view it.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:13 PM

I was thinking more in terms of the xs engineering boost chip's recalibrated maps to run 440cc injectors. I dont know anything about the maps, I have never seen any type of software with the respective maps to view it.
Recalibraing the maps for 440cc injectors is a waste because its not a true boost chip, so it cant add fuel with boost or retard timing with boost. THe only good thing i can see about that is being able to run a lower ratio fmu disk hence less fuel pressure. Its just a stock chip rpetty much tho
Old 03-31-2003, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hondata works for me! I'd say it has the advantage currently b/c of the convenience to make changes.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:24 PM

I'm kinda new to the whole tuning issue, i've been using a fmu setup and i just got a SAFC and some RC310s. Would my best bet to get the uberteg chip? How does this chip work, is it a piggyback that plugs into the ecu or does he just reflash your whole ecu? Is the uberteg chip setup to be used with 310cc injectors and a safc?

Does uberteg have aim or email so i can ask him about his chip some more? I was gonna run a simple AFC hack but i can't find any dsm injectors handy and the clips/resistor box are kind of tough to find.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:49 PM

It will be competition once i get datalogging and the rom editor out.
... any word when this will be out?... and how much?...
Old 03-31-2003, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[quote]If someone spends $3000 on a custom turbo kit, another $500 for a hondata is nothing to them.
[QUOTE]

I can relate to this now . So hondata it is! Thanks everyone and Jeff you have a customer .