Notices

HONDATA QUESTON about using the romulator

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HONDATA QUESTON about using the romulator

Ok I hooked up the rom ulator to the ECU and tried to start the car. It ran like complete ****. Do I have to first take the chip burner and hook it up to the laptop to download the program and then hook up the romulator so it emulates that program? Also is there something I have to do to the romulator before it will work?. And lastly when I am runing on the romulator can I make on the fly changes and then save the program to the lap top and then put it in the burner. burn it and then put it back into the ECU. sorry for all the questions but I have read all the dam help topics and they dont explain how to do all this stuff and I called hondata and I have still yet to get a reply
Old 10-01-2003, 04:38 AM

Default Re: HONDATA QUESTON about using the romulator (intercooledJRSC)

Does anybody want to give me a tutorial on this???? thanks
Old 10-01-2003, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by intercooledJRSC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok I hooked up the rom ulator to the ECU and tried to start the car. It ran like complete ****. Do I have to first take the chip burner and hook it up to the laptop to download the program and then hook up the romulator so it emulates that program? Also is there something I have to do to the romulator before it will work?. And lastly when I am runing on the romulator can I make on the fly changes and then save the program to the lap top and then put it in the burner. burn it and then put it back into the ECU. sorry for all the questions but I have read all the dam help topics and they dont explain how to do all this stuff and I called hondata and I have still yet to get a reply</TD></TR></TABLE>

OK, I think I can help you. Here is what I do because I have found it works best for me. This is assuming you have powered up the laptop with the romulator and datalogging cable already hooked up.
1) Open up your ROM in the Rom Editor program.
2) Turn Ignition on (but don't start the car)
3) Hit the ctrl + W key on the laptop (This will load the rom in the Romulator) The CEL will come on and stay on
4) Turn ignition off (An turbo timer if you have one) This resets the ecu and removes CEL.
5) Turn ignition back on (Check engine light will go out).
6) Start Car and have fun tuning.

This is how I do it and it works everytime. Now, on the romulator, it has a battery so as long as you don't unplug it from the ecu, you shouldn't have to load the rom again (In other words, you don't need the Laptop to start it to move it for example). However, everytime I want to tune, I just reload the rom again.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-01-2003, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by intercooledJRSC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And lastly when I am runing on the romulator can I make on the fly changes and then save the program to the lap top and then put it in the burner. burn it and then put it back into the ECU. sorry for all the questions but I have read all the dam help topics and they dont explain how to do all this stuff and I called hondata and I have still yet to get a reply</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can make fly changes. That is the whole purpose of this device. You can test it by changing the idle speed and watch it increase. That is how I test that everything is working OK.
Yes, you would then save the rom file and burn a chip once you think it is tuned.

By the way, your car is running like crap because it is running on the backup processor.

Sorry I didn't finish your email until I already responded so I thought I would just break it up.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:33 AM

Default Re: HONDATA QUESTON about using the romulator (ladysman)

ah ha thank you sir. I was doing it all wrong!!!! I will try that this weekend and see how she goes from there!!! thank you for the how to
Old 10-01-2003, 11:42 AM

would this also work for diy engine management like uberdata?
Old 10-01-2003, 12:13 PM

Default Re: (cornhusker)

It works a little differently, no on-the-fly changes yet. But it is 1000x times better than pulling the chip, loaidng it into the burner, erasing, re-burning, pulling, and re-socketing every time you make ANY change.

-PHiZ
Old 10-01-2003, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by intercooledJRSC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ah ha thank you sir. I was doing it all wrong!!!! I will try that this weekend and see how she goes from there!!! thank you for the how to </TD></TR></TABLE>

You are welcome. Any other Hondata questions post away. Send me a link if I don't see it. I don't get on here sometimes. Have a 5 month old at home.