Notices

Hondata, PMS or any other stand alone

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2001, 12:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hondata, PMS or any other stand alone

Is there any body with in a 2 hour drive from Memphis Tn with a stand alone system? I want to see and talk to some one with these systems.
Old 12-06-2001, 01:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hondata, PMS or any other stand alone (2000R)

here's some more info on the hondata system if you're interested:
http://www.c-speedracing.com/onlinestore/hondata.html
Old 12-06-2001, 03:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata, PMS or any other stand alone (G3-TEG)

Good information thanks. Would stil like to find one close to me so I can see it in the car. If I go Hondata it wil be the 4b.
Old 12-06-2001, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the PMS system, with their Windows InterACQ datalogging software. I've only had it about 2.5 months, and to be honest, have not really played with it as much as I should. I can tell you that from everything I have seen, it will do almost everything the Hondata Stage 4... And you do not need a ROM burner. You can make real time adjustments straight from the laptop (or included keypad) and just click "Save As" to to make the change permanent. It will control NOS (and default to a NOS fuel table anytime it is in use), plus 2 other RPM activated switches (such as water injection and VTEC).

We have a local dealer here in Atlanta that sells a ton of them, and has a chassis dyno for tuning. Here's their website: http://www.engineered.net/. Their phone number is (770)434-0051. Ask for Chad or Ed. Tell 'em Allan T. sent ya!
Old 12-06-2001, 06:38 AM

Default Re: Hondata, PMS or any other stand alone (11psiGSR)

11psiGSR - I also have the PMS system and I'm very surprised that there aren't more people using it. I strongly suggest for anyone that plans on running the PMS to get the software, this allows you to have the PMS act as a "standalone" computer. With the PMS, you can also store 3 different setups and change them at the turn of a ****, for example:

1. street low boost setup
2. street high boost setup
3. track setup

It plugs right into your stock ECU, and you don't have to burn chips whenever you want to change your setup.

11psiGSR - How much did you buy your software for? I tried to buy it from a guy over the internet and got scammed for $170.

[Modified by bQQsted hybrid, 7:49 AM 12/6/2001]
Old 12-06-2001, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata, PMS or any other stand alone (bQQsted hybrid)

I think I paid $250 for the Datalogging software, but I don't have my reciept in front of me. I think full blown retail is like $300. I love it so far. My only complaint is the keypad... It looks antiquated. For a system that is so sophisticated, it should have a much better display. What's underneath the tacky display seems to be the latest technology though.

[Modified by 11psiGSR, 11:12 AM 12/6/2001]
Old 12-06-2001, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a used PMS for 500 a few months ago. I am still debating wether or not I should even go with the standalone program for it. I talked to a few other people that have used it lately with the program, and they said it was just a waste of money. I can tell you that it is a pain in the *** to set up those fuel/timing maps on the thing, guess it makes that much easier with the standalone software....
Old 12-06-2001, 07:29 AM

A website would be greatly beneficial guys thanks in advance.
Old 12-06-2001, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hondata, PMS or any other stand alone (Jason kiDD)

Hmm, I was sold on either the Hondata or AEM EMS system, but now you guys got me thinking of the PMS, sounds pretty good. Does anybody else here have anything to say about it and it's comparision to Hondata?
Old 12-06-2001, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's the site for PMS.... It's not the most intuative site, but you can download .pdf files of the entire installation, setup and info on the datalogging software.

http://www.efisystems.com/
Old 12-06-2001, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata, PMS or any other stand alone (bQQsted hybrid)

"1. street low boost setup
2. street high boost setup
3. track setup"

One program on the Hondata system fulfils all these requirements

"It plugs right into your stock ECU, and you don't have to burn chips whenever you want to change your setup."

I have not seen the PMS System. Does this mean it is a piggyback - for example can you raise your rev limit?

Doug

Old 12-06-2001, 08:28 AM

Default Re: Hondata, PMS or any other stand alone (Hondata)

From what I read so far the system seems to pretty complete however it is missing a few things that Hondata offers. Even though it can be considered a true standalone it doenst give you adjustment for Vtec crossovers and a few other things. But I guess it all depends on what you like for your car and what works.
Old 12-06-2001, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Jason kiDD: Although they do not call it a VTEC controller, there are 3 RPM activated outputs on the PMS. One is used for NOS, the other 2 can be used for Water Injection, 2 stage NOS, or a VTEC controller. You can even adjust specific parameters such as "Activate at 6000rpm, but only at Full throttle" or "Activate at 4200rpm, anything above 60% throttle, but shut down at 8000rpm".

It's pretty damn flexible.
Old 12-06-2001, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata, PMS or any other stand alone (VTC_CiViC)

Actually, G3-TEG used PMS before and he switched over to Hondata, Ive asked him a question before in his website ,but, so far no replies.. so here goes ill ask him again:
How do you like the Hondata compared to the PMS? if you had more time to play with the PMS do you think you couldve pulled more HP and TQ out of your integra?

thanks...
Old 12-06-2001, 09:45 AM
New User

Default Re: Hondata, PMS or any other stand alone (pagong)

I originally decided to go with Hondata, and I still think it will be the best pick!!!
Old 12-06-2001, 09:52 AM

Default Re: Hondata, PMS or any other stand alone (97CivicFerio)

Ahh but with Hondata, would it be wise as a N/A car to get the 2b or 3b now then upgrade later. Or just make one purchase of the 4b so at least you have the option of tuning your car by yourself if you had to..??
Old 12-06-2001, 09:57 AM
New User

Up to you and your cheddar dude. I am getting a 2B.
Old 12-06-2001, 10:06 AM

Default Re: Hondata, PMS or any other stand alone (97CivicFerio)

Understandably, but when you factor in the cost of having someone tune it for you then which do you think would be the better buy?? The question might be retorical for some..
Old 12-06-2001, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I choose to go with the PMS b/c of the stupid good price I got on it (500 bills), but I also liked the fact that there was three different programs that you could set-up. I also liked the fact that it was a piggyback and could offer almost all of the same features as the hondata and zydne. If I had to buy a new unit I would have went with the Hondata/Zydne way, but since the price was to good to pass up I couldnt resist. All of the "standalone" systems pretty much do the same thing, it's just that others offer more features. It all really comes down to how much loot you want to lay down. Although Motec, Tec-II, etc are really a cut-above the Hondata/Zdyne variety they are really overkill for a street driven car.
Old 12-06-2001, 12:12 PM
New User

the PMS sounds very interesting. it is cheaper than any true standalone, but appears to have most of the benefits. essentially, all i'm interested in is the ability to control fuel (injector pulse width) and timing without resorting to spoofing the MAP signal... and since i don't want to lose my ATTS, my stock ECU must be retained.

the install looks ridiculously easy.

so it lacks the fancy software and so on, but will it do the job?
Old 12-06-2001, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Hondata, PMS or any other stand alone (schwett)

See that is where it all depends on what job you want it to do exactly. From what you descibed it would probably soot you fine, however what happens if you want to adapt to turbo or something else later down the road. Will it be able to grown with you in functionality?? I guess that is the over all question.
Old 12-06-2001, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

11psiGSR. that shop in ATL is where I had my work done. I was real happy with them. Do you know GVTEC from superhonda.org? He is the one who helped me out find a shop. I just want to talk face to face with some people who have the systems. When I come back down there maybe we could meet up and you could show me the PMS. I plan on heading down there this spring.
Jeff