Notices

Hondata, J&S Safeguard, and your knock sensor...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hondata, J&S Safeguard, and your knock sensor...

I'm NA, but I thought that this topic might interest some of you...

Since I recently changed my setup from an A'PEXi PowerFC to a P28 based Hondata setup(both of which do not have an active knock retard feature...if you're knocking, the ECU does not retard your timing) and experienced some problems(link here) hooking up my J&S Safeguard I reevaluated my need for another piece of electronics(while I couldn't get everything to work correctly)....but after looking into what the J&S does, and who uses it (the factory Corvette Race Cars that won class @ 2001 24 Hour Le Mans Race, Adam Sawaratari...) I decided that it is better to have this item installed and have a piece of mind then me screwing something up and ending up with some pieces of broken pistons for souverniers.

I found this posted by John @ J&S on ClubSi, though that it would be interesting:
Turbo kits are not "Bolt on Heaven".
Old saying: If a turbo you have tried, then a piston you have fried.

Wouldn't it be nice to not have to worry about a "boost spike", or crap gas, or leaning out?

I put together a home made turbo for my Fiat back in the early eighties. I blew the head gasket at least three times, so someone suggested that I should get the head o-ringed. Then, instead of blowing head gaskets, I started breaking pistons.

It was really a drag, every time you stepped on the gas, you had to strain your ears to listen for detonation, and back pedal it if you thought you heard it, unless there was some turkey alongside, trying to pull you, then, of course, you couldn't back off, you just prayed as the boost came up.

Back then, there weren't any timing computers or fuel controllers. We had to make our own water injection. In the winter we had to walk through six feet of...oh, wrong story.

About that time, Porsche came out with the 944 Turbo. Road and Track magazine said it used Bosch electronics with a knock sensor to retard timing. What was really cool, was that it retarded only the cylinders that were knocking.

That's where I got the inspiration for the SafeGuard. I was an electronics technician in aerospace. I became obsessed with the idea of building my own knock controlled ignition. By then, I had gotten really tired of rebuilding the old Fiat. How much better to have electronics listen for knock for you, and then automatically control the timing?

The SafeGuard was finally brought to market in '91. It's simple in concept, but I had a lot to learn before I had a design that worked.

Everybody says their kits don't ping. Why, then, do engines blow? Anyone that sells you a kit and says you don't need a SafeGuard is just trying to ease the financial pain to make a quick sale.

Yes, we make a profit building them, but they were designed to fix a problem on my own car.
More technical information here

Austin

[Modified by Austin, 12:32 PM 2/20/2002]
Old 02-20-2002, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata, J&S Safeguard, and your knock sensor... (Austin)

Since I recently changed my setup from an A'PEXi PowerFC to a P28 based Hondata setup(both of which do not have an active knock retard feature...if you're knocking, the ECU does not retard your timing)
I do not know whether this is what you were trying to say, but the P28 doesn't even have a knock sensor input. The sohc civics have never had knock sensors...

Dustin
Old 02-20-2002, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata, J&S Safeguard, and your knock sensor... (dustin)

I do not know whether this is what you were trying to say, but the P28 doesn't even have a knock sensor input. The sohc civics have never had knock sensors...

Dustin
Yep...that's what I was trying to say...I wanted the reassurance that I wouldn't blow something up while tuning the vehicle...I needed a safeguard, and that's where the J&S came in.
Austin
Old 02-20-2002, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

J&S gets a
Old 02-20-2002, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata, J&S Safeguard, and your knock sensor... (dustin)

can't say too much for there support or lack of, i've sent emails and never received one back, oh well. Good product nevertheless
Old 02-21-2002, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata, J&S Safeguard, and your knock sensor... (LsTurbo91)

can't say too much for there support or lack of, i've sent emails and never received one back, oh well. Good product nevertheless
Interesting...I called John the other day when I was having a problem, and he answered the phone on a holiday @ 5pm and spent 45 minutes on the phone with me trying to help figure out what my wiring problem was...but in the past I was never able to get a response via e-mail that was adequate.
Austin
Old 02-21-2002, 03:11 PM
New User

I'm running a j&s safeguard and i know it's saved my engine on at least one occasion (when i saw my boost briefly spike to 11psi and i saw the safeguard do a little retarding).

Does anyone use a j&s safeguard with the j&s knock sensor? is it significantly better than the stock knock sensor?

-Xerxes
Old 02-21-2002, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata, J&S Safeguard, and your knock sensor... (Xerxes)

I'm running a j&s safeguard and i know it's saved my engine on at least one occasion (when i saw my boost briefly spike to 11psi and i saw the safeguard do a little retarding).

Does anyone use a j&s safeguard with the j&s knock sensor? is it significantly better than the stock knock sensor?

-Xerxes
After speaking with John about this, he suggested that you use the stock Honda knock sensor...no need to plug in a second knock sensor, which is also the reason that a knock sensor no longer comes with J&S.
Austin