Notices

Hondata + FLuidamper CP + timing = off?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hondata + FLuidamper CP + timing = off?!?

I've recently end countered misfire issues after the mtoor has went back into the car. It idles and runs, but sometimes misfires at 7500rpms, other times 8500rpms.

either way, I had the battery tested, alternator replaced. So i said, lets recheck timing, as the shop put it at 16, but i shoudl make sure.

On to the problem. I ahve the Fluidamper crank pulley, hondata s200.

I warmed up car, Jumped the service indicator (although i don't know if that's needed for hondata.) Within the rom editor, i set the normal idle cells to 16 degrees from 0-1200rpms and in columns 1-3, so that covers it at idle.

I flashed the romulator, then I opened up the hondalogger to ensure operating temp and see what it said advance was.

in hondalogger, it was saying 16.5 degrees advance, once i pulled the IACV off, car started to idle around 600rpms (impressive with 1000s).

I get the timing light out point at crank pulley and to my surprise, the light is hitting perfectly at 0BTC, instead of 16. I have the timing light set at 16, so I rotate teh dizzy and next to no change. No way can i get it to the normal 16 mark. I turned the timing light down and at 4 degrees on the light i got to 16 degrees on the crank.

So.... What is going on. DO i happen to have a bad machined crank pulley? I don't see any way for the crank pulley to ahve been installed incorrectly. I'm basicly just completely baffled here.

Likewise, i know that hondalogger tends to match up with the engine rather than with the rom editor, so i was able to adjust the dizzy to get the 0BTC mark to be at 16, which had the hondalogger at 16, just confused on why the crank was off.

let me know if i'm just missing something stupid.

picture of marks if i was unclear. timing light was hitting the 0 mark, instead of the 16 mark:

Old 07-04-2005, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata + FLuidamper CP + timing = off?!? (seen4ever)

or am I a complete idiot and GUN @ 16 = Crank at 0?
Old 07-04-2005, 08:48 AM
New User

your car just hates you......
Old 07-04-2005, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i win?
Old 07-04-2005, 09:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by seen4ever &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">or am I a complete idiot and GUN @ 16 = Crank at 0?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yep
Old 07-04-2005, 09:25 AM
SYD
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ yup u were using the gun as if it had no adjustment/advance..
Old 07-04-2005, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If the timing light is set at 16 degrees advance, and your ignition timing is set at 16, then it will line up with the white TDC mark on the pulley. If the gun is set at 0 advance, it'll line up with the red 16 degree mark on the crank pulley.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:46 PM
SYD
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (inspyral)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by inspyral &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If the timing light is set at 16 degrees advance, and your ignition timing is set at 16, then it will line up with the white TDC mark on the pulley. If the gun is set at 0 advance, it'll line up with the red 16 degree mark on the crank pulley.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeh this is what i was saying..it seems as if he is using the gun as if it were one that had no advance so he is still using the red degree markes on the pully..rather then setting advance and verifying with the white (0btc mark)
Old 07-04-2005, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (bruceleeroy)

You should first verify that the piston is at TDC at the crank pulley and that the cam gears are all lined up and that the timming belt is ok.Sometimes the timming belt can skip a tooth.After checking all this then check it with a timing light.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup your just aiming for the wrong line. I've seen people do the same thing many times.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata + FLuidamper CP + timing = off?!? (SOHC_MShue)

it was the 16 degree thing on the gun, which meant i should have been at 0BTC. basicly gun at 16 = crank at 0.

Just me being an idiot and overly paranoid about the damn car. I've used it before and i guess it never clicked for me.

but i did a leakdown test as well yesterday and verified that the cams/crank were all perfectly inline. 3% leakdown in a motor with 7k miles and stock sleeves, kind of made me smile

but i'll call this my idiot post of the year.

i think i'm starting to look for anything that may be causing my misfire issue and just gettting paranoid.