Notices

Homemade filter for my rev hard kit

Old 10-28-2001, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homemade filter for my rev hard kit

well, today, i went to home depot and got myself some aluminum screen mesh, and a clamp. i took the mesh , wrapped the intake inlet, and clamped it on. hopefully, this will prevent little rocks from entering the compressor housing. im still looking to make a REAL intake though
Old 10-28-2001, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Homemade filter for my rev hard kit (TheBoostieBoys)

i have that on my turbo also....i am looking to make an hose and an airfilter on the end of it.....anyone have pix of custom airintakes that u have made?
Old 10-28-2001, 10:34 PM
New User

Default Re: Homemade filter for my rev hard kit (PROFILE GSR)

i have one layer of mesh pantyhose then another layer of mesh it works great
Old 10-28-2001, 11:33 PM
New User

Default Re: Homemade filter for my rev hard kit (Turbohatch)

I'd like to buy an external air filter/pipe like what Art's got....

Problem is, the newer design of the Revhard kits has the BOV positioned low down on the intake pipe, right where the K&N filter should sit. I just can't figure out where I would fit something in there.

The only thing I can imagine is if the filter was mounted straight up toward the hood, and the pipe would have to be real short, with a sharp 90 degree bend in it to clamp onto the compressor inlet.
Old 10-28-2001, 11:35 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: Homemade filter for my rev hard kit (degradated)

I'd like to buy an external air filter/pipe like what Art's got....

Problem is, the newer design of the Revhard kits has the BOV positioned low down on the intake pipe, right where the K&N filter should sit. I just can't figure out where I would fit something in there.

The only thing I can imagine is if the filter was mounted straight up toward the hood, and the pipe would have to be real short, with a sharp 90 degree bend in it to clamp onto the compressor inlet.
degrated, When I took my car to the fabricator I was thinking to myself, "there is no way in hell he can fit something in there." But when I got my car back, there was a nice air filter mounted to the compressor.
Old 10-28-2001, 11:37 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: Homemade filter for my rev hard kit (Arturbo)

Here is the pic:http: http://www.turbomafia.com/Arturbo/6.jpg
Old 10-28-2001, 11:47 PM
New User

I've seen that pic before.....I was thinking that the BOV would interfere with where they ran the pipe. Here's what the newer revhard kit looks like:

But after a 2nd glance it looks like it might clear afterall. Where did you get yours fabricated at (I don't live near you or anything, but I have no idea what kind of place to go for something like this)?
It looks like I might have to get some of that special radiator hose too....where did you buy that?

What's the diameter of the piping that they used?
thanks...
Old 10-29-2001, 12:01 AM
Better than steak

Here is another pic: http://www.turbomafia.com/Arturbo/10.jpg
I had http://www.thunderfabrications.com fabricate me the intake and they used 3" piping. And yes, I had to buy one of those radiator hoses because it hit the hose pretty bad. I bought it from Summit racing.

BTW, do you still have stock fans?

art
Old 10-29-2001, 12:10 AM
New User

Here is another pic: http://www.turbomafia.com/Arturbo/10.jpg
I had =http://www.thunderfabrications.com fabricate me the intake and they used 3" piping. And yes, I had to buy one of those radiator hoses because it hit the hose pretty bad. I bought it from Summit racing.

BTW, do you still have stock fans?

art
Thanks...
I am using FAL fans, two single 12" slimline fans (FAL 112)...Believe it or not, the driver's side fan still sort of interferes with the wastegate dump tube/flex pipe...
If the 3" closed loop is ever fabricated for Revhard, I'm hoping that it clears the fan better..

BTW, do you mind to share what you paid for the fabrication?
Old 10-29-2001, 12:17 AM
Better than steak

I'll be honest, I dont think we are going to do the closed loop for rev-hard or even drag anymore. It was too much of a hassle. But what we are going to do is make an "elbow" to face the WG in the oppisite direction and have a dump tube that faces down. That would allow people who wants closed loop to run to a muffler shop and have it done.

art
Old 10-29-2001, 05:08 AM
New User

i used the intake off the drag kit..... you have to play with it a little but it works....
Old 10-29-2001, 05:36 AM
G

Default Re: Homemade filter for my rev hard kit (TheBoostieBoys)

For a homemade air filter, I used 1/4" poultry mesh (chicken wire or hi-rip) to form a mushroom (like HKS) then used an air conditioning foam air filter (cut to size $0.99 each) and covered the 1/4" mesh with it. It can take any shape and the foam filter will trap some sand and bigger dust particles, more importantly flows like a champ....... All for under $5.
Old 10-29-2001, 05:42 AM
New User

Default Re: Homemade filter for my rev hard kit (G)

Where can you buy just the drag air filter kit for a teg?
Old 10-29-2001, 07:18 PM
New User

Default Re: Homemade filter for my rev hard kit

I got to thinking, why can't I just clamp the K&N filter right onto the compressor? I'd have to take a closer look, but I think it would fit...
You think this would work?
Old 10-29-2001, 07:32 PM
Better than steak

I got to thinking, why can't I just clamp the K&N filter right onto the compressor? I'd have to take a closer look, but I think it would fit...
Yes it would work. That is what we are gonna do with DIRep972's install this weekend.

art
Old 10-29-2001, 10:25 PM
New User

Actually, I just went down and held up the filter I have from my CAI, and it is too big and clunky to fit down there. For a direct bolt on without using a pipe, it might be possible...the only way is if most of the rubber end from the filter is cut off, but I still think there is interference from various things down there.
I'm going to try and get a short 3" to 2.5" pipe fabricated this Friday with a sharp 90degree bend in it so that the filter basically sits straight up...this seems to be the only way that one would fit inside my engine bay. I'll put up pics on how it comes out...
Old 10-30-2001, 08:59 AM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes it would work. That is what we are gonna do with DIRep972's install this weekend.

art
yeh but I may want to still have a pipe fabricated like yours art. Hopefully it will work temporarily though

Degradated-if u want when I get one fabricated I can get them to make two since we both have Revhard LS's..
Old 10-30-2001, 10:19 AM
New User

3" flex vent hose (the heavy duty stuff, not the light dryer hose) from home depot works wonders for attaching a filter to your compressor. On my compressor (T4B-S3) it was such a perfect fit I didn't even have to clamp it onto the compressor inducer, its just a perfect pressure fit.
Old 10-30-2001, 10:25 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Homemade filter for my rev hard kit (joeyitr309)

I have an unused airfilter that came with a drag kit for a GSR. If you want it for cheap you can e-mail me - cla8@msn.com
Old 10-30-2001, 10:39 AM
New User

Default Re: Homemade filter for my rev hard kit (DIRep972)

I'm guessing you're getting yours fabricated at that thunderfabrications place?
I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on this stupid thing....and I need to have it by this weekend (after swooping my finger on the inner lip of the compressor housing and getting a decent amount of fine dirt powder left on my finger, I decided that I'm not going to let this go..)

I checked it out pretty good, and I think the only way you're going to get a filter to fit is if you get some new flexible radiator hose so you can mount it straight on (I still don't think it will fit), or if you have a pipe made with a 90 degree or more bend in it so the filter can mount either straight up, or leaning to the right slightly..
Old 10-30-2001, 11:28 AM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I definitly wont have one by this weekend.. it will probably be a couple of weeks.. But it will probably be about 100 or so.. Now that I think about it I may just rig one cause I dont want to spend anymore money