Notices

hmmm, boost for us backward UK folks

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hmmm, boost for us backward UK folks

This is my first thread so i hope i dont scare off the regulars.

Well as i see it, us english either get ripped off terribly here or its just our exchange rate makes everything in USA so cheap.

Anyways getting on with it, im a bit careful if i have to buy from another country because if u get screwed u cant normally go around with a baseball bat and a smile....so as i own a crx(b16) my options are only really to big companies that i think are trustworthy.

Now as far as i can see full-race seems a good company and our exchange rate puts there prices much lower than ours(even if u guys think there expensive)

Ive got a few questions that i hope u guys can help me with.

1. Looking on there website theres a couple of kits i like the look of but ive got no plans to keep changing parts all the time, the 2 kits im looking at are the ProStreet Stage 2 (540hp) and the ProStreet Stage 3 (620 hp) the price difference is $250 which is 2 days work for me, so not much....so in theory i should go for the bigger kit, but im worried a little bit about spool on it.

my last car was something called a renault 5 turbo which was 1.4 pushrod carb engine that hit full boost at 5200 and redlined at 6500 lol but was still fun for 12.4@112mph...so short powerband doesnt bother me but id rather not have it that short

I need to have a setup that i wont need to replace parts in the future and need to be able to have enough power to go than faster 10.8(the fastest fwd car in england) i understand ill need pistons and rods and prob itr cams in the future but even then am i looking at to big a turbo.

2. my previous car because it was carb turbo i tuned it myself, but when it comes to mapping ive never done it before, so out of all the tuning programs around, what is the simplist one to use, i understand where the AFR on WOT should be and the basics but id like to have a go, we all have to learn sometime lol

3. from what ive read, a log manifold will spool fastest followed by a ramhorn then topmount, that last will give most power, so wot would produce the most power and drivable setup, a small turbo on a topmount or a big turbo on a log manifold

sorry for the long post and waffling on but any assistance u can give me on this will finalise my decision, any comments good or bad will be appreciated so fire away.

Lee
Old 04-01-2007, 07:51 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: hmmm, boost for us backward UK folks (turbotoaster)

Well you should have no problem beating the 10.8 if thats the fastest! I would say a topmount with a big Garret GT series turbo would get you well over 600WHP, which would have the potential to run some good times. Full-Race is a great company. If you aproach them with your goals they will set you up with the proper kit. Pricey but they are very reputable and there manifolds are great!
Old 04-01-2007, 07:51 PM

i would go with a stage 3GT kit.

the full race prostreets come with ramhorn manifolds, so if you are looking at those kits your options are basicly ramhorn as full race has proven their manifolds produce more power over log manifolds, and not only that but they dont come with a log manifold lol.

i would go with the GT kit becuase its duall ball bearing and will improve your spool times with your overall setup, those are good for 650+whp with the right setup
Old 04-01-2007, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotoaster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2. my previous car because it was carb turbo i tuned it myself, but when it comes to mapping ive never done it before, so out of all the tuning programs around, what is the simplist one to use, i understand where the AFR on WOT should be and the basics but id like to have a go, we all have to learn sometime lol

3. from what ive read, a log manifold will spool fastest followed by a ramhorn then topmount, that last will give most power, so wot would produce the most power and drivable setup, a small turbo on a topmount or a big turbo on a log manifold

Lee</TD></TR></TABLE>

2. You can get a wideband o2 sensor/controller like the plx m-300 (or higher w/datalogging), and most any ems for honda ecu's will give you afr datalogging based on load (pressure) and rpm. With Hondas you usually tune to mean between torque, then back off a bit. In other words, tune to the edge of detonation. 600whp isn't a walk in the park, so I'd suggest finding a known Honda tuner if you crank the boost that high. Since you seem to want good, reliable stuff, I'd probably suggest getting an RTP Neptune ems or maybe AEM.

3. Log manifolds are popular because they are much easier/cheaper to make, and are more flexible that cast, in terms of turbo placement. Ramhorns are known for a good powerband & compactness, and shortie/elf/minime manifolds in-between ramhorn/log performance. Topmounts are used mainly for easy turbo access & very equal length runners.

BTW - is that 10.8 for a FWD in street trim/slicks, 1/4 mile (1320ft)?
Old 04-02-2007, 07:18 AM

Default Re: hmmm, boost for us backward UK folks (HiProfile)

yeh, ive bookmarked plx m-300 cause it was good value and i was planning on using that, thanks for the confirmation on it, ive heard good thing from neptune(mostly reading evans tuning dyno sheets) and the reason i want to do it myself is to be honest i dont trust anyone enough to do a good job, i called the main honda tuning in the uk and they just fed me rubbish for 10mins...yeh, ill stump up a bit more money for the GT kit if it will help, im guessing if i get itr cams and higher rev limit (9.5k) i should be able to have enough of a powerband to make this work

the 10.8 is the fastest car period over the qtr mile, its on slicks though, 10.8@140mph in a rover 25....http://www.an-racing.com...for more info, he says its just over 800whp but not sure about that lol

as u see we are a bit backwards here and people are shocked when a fwd car breaks a 10, infact its the only car in the uk thats a 10sec fwd so i think with knowledge off here i can beat that.

thanks for the help, when i order the kit and start the build ill upload pics and u can have a laugh about how slow all us bucktoothed posh english are
Old 04-02-2007, 07:44 AM

are you pretty dead set on going with a full race turbo kit?
Old 04-03-2007, 05:30 AM

Default Re: hmmm, boost for us backward UK folks (b18sihatch)

not at all, im willing to look at all options, i looked at the peakboost kit which seems very good value for money and theres a few running 11s on it, do u have a good suggestion on a different kit, i honestly dont mind buying all the parts seperate, its just i need to make sure they all arrive and i dont get messed about.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There are soo many options when buying turbo kits and i can almost garuntee all of them willing to ship over sea's
Old 04-03-2007, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldnt go past the stage 2 gt for simple reasons, are u aware of the race gas prices in europe? Its insane, just so US folks have an idea we pay for pump gas what you pay for race gas and race gas is around 5 times more expensive.

So unless u plan on using race gas get a turbo that will suit your needs, if you wanna max out a pump gas tune i wouldnt suggest anything bigger than a gt30r, if you go with a 35r and never tune it on c16 its overkill.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hmmm, boost for us backward UK folks (93supercoupe)

Just for the record, ANR run that 10.8 on MT Street radials.
Guy at CPL is close, he's run 11 dead on slicks, this I'm sure you're aware of though.
Breaking into the low 11’s FWD on UK tracks is not easy, 10’s take some doing, it’s not just down to power (UK tracks).
I know of quite a few 600+ bhp FWD Honda’s in the UK and they’ll be out on track some time this year, it’s not about the numbers is how you use them, putting down the power is key.
If you search you’ll find some very good people that have mapped Honda’s (Turbo) with good results.
As far as being behind our friends in the US, that’s almost right, we don’t have access to the vast amounts of products but they can be purchased through some very well known companies, you’re biggest problem may be the block and sleeves required to support your power goals, companies exist but shop wisely!
Just in case you struggle for a tuner MASE makes regular trips to the UK and I’m sure you could contact him, he may be able to recommend a UK based tuner.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:23 AM

i personally have the Full race Stage 3GT kit, with the upgraded Full Race ProAM Backdoor intercooler 20x11x3 and the quality is obviously tip top notch.

for me im looking to make 650whp so the kit is ideal for me running the GT3582R turbo

however the jump from prostreet stg 3 and prostreet stage3gt is 1500.00 as a total of 4,500.00 but in all honesty full race has such a wide range with their turbo kits, as each stage lets you make xxx ammount of power so picking the right one is ideal and easy. and then they have the gt kits which niclude the dual ball bearing turbos which is definitly a racers love for quick spool on high whp apps. but its really up to you.

i wouldnt run ANYTHING else than full race.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hmmm, boost for us backward UK folks (b18sihatch)

Full race kits are pretty neat, and good for the goals you want to achieve.
I have a T3/T67 turbo Brand new unused for sale and im in the Uk if you are interested, i bought it from Full-race for an upgrade but never used it-it would be good for your goals.Your best option is to choose and build your own kit.

A good built up setup fully stripped out with slicks and you will achieve your goal.