Notices

Hmm... Is something like this fixable? Any ideas? Pics inside...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hmm... Is something like this fixable? Any ideas? Pics inside...

So I've been looking over a LS engine that I just picked up to see what all I need to get for it/replace. While checking out the back of the block i noticed that the port where the oil pressure sender goes is tottaly fucked up... here are some pics...

any ideas on how to "fix" or repair this area? I dont really wanna have to ghetto rig it, but I'm afraid I might have to.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:16 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Hmm... Is something like this fixable? Any ideas? Pics inside... (THE_HX)

get some one to weld the hole shut. Then retap it.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Hmm... Is something like this fixable? Any ideas? Pics inside... (THE_HX)

Have somebody clean up the cracks and weld it up for you. Then clean the threads out with a tap. It is fixable though. I have fixed worse problems!
Old 04-27-2004, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hmm... Is something like this fixable? Any ideas? Pics inside... (mandopr77)

yea i was thinking the same thing -- welding then re-tapping... i've just been getting really frustrated latley trying to put this **** togehether, and nothing seems to be going right.

thanks for the input guys

any more ideas?
Old 04-27-2004, 04:06 PM

to me it looks as if someone used an NPT fitting and it caused it to stretch like that..

for future references..

If anyone decides to use an NPT fitting on that port for an oil sender source for the turbo or whatever.. make sure u use a NPT pipe TAP and tap the stock threads so that when you use the NPT fitting it wont cause problems like u see up there..i did this and it fits GREAT no leaks what so ever
Old 04-27-2004, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hmm... Is something like this fixable? Any ideas? Pics inside... (J337_UNIT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J337_UNIT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">to me it looks as if someone used an NPT fitting and it caused it to stretch like that..

for future references..

If anyone decides to use an NPT fitting on that port for an oil sender source for the turbo or whatever.. make sure u use a NPT pipe TAP and tap the stock threads so that when you use the NPT fitting it wont cause problems like u see up there..i did this and it fits GREAT no leaks what so ever</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea it looked like someone used the wrong type of fitting to me too.... or it was overtightened?

any ideas on how to "fix" the crack and threads? also, do i just get a stock oil pressure sender and that'll thread right in? i dont need any extra fittings do i?

thanks for your help!
Old 04-27-2004, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hmm... Is something like this fixable? Any ideas? Pics inside... (jz)

Brings back horrific memories of a chunk of my block falling off when I 'unboosted' my Civic. I ended up jamming a big ol' suspension bolt in there for the sake of controlling the leak. Ghetto yes.. but it works.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hmm... Is something like this fixable? Any ideas? Pics inside... (jz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">or you can be smarter and get a bspt to npt adpater to T the oil line. less hassle and no chances of getting metal shavings in the oil passage. for future reference, if any one decides to T their oil off the sending unit port USE A BSPT TO NPT ADAPTER. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm not teeing it for the oil line right now... all i'm planning on doing is putting the oil pressure sender in there, then teeing it later when i get my new turbo kit down the road.

thanks again for the input everyone.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by THE_HX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i'm not teeing it for the oil line right now... all i'm planning on doing is putting the oil pressure sender in there, then teeing it later when i get my new turbo kit down the road.

thanks again for the input everyone. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Tee it now and plug the unused side of the tee. I recommend dealing with threads this damaged only once.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:36 PM

Default Re: Hmm... Is something like this fixable? Any ideas? Pics inside... (1bar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1bar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get some one to weld the hole shut. Then retap it. </TD></TR></TABLE>
definitely
Old 04-27-2004, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Default Re: Hmm... Is something like this fixable? Any ideas? Pics inside... (hybridvteceg)

Ahh the good ol' Fram filter. Never does me wrong!
Old 04-27-2004, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hmm... Is something like this fixable? Any ideas? Pics inside... (boostincoupe)

haha, the fram is kinda just a temporary filter until i can get a honda one... not to mention i'm poor as some ****!

Should i be worried about the "weld" going to far into the block? or getting metal pieces/shavings in my block?

thanks again to everyone for the help
Old 04-27-2004, 08:42 PM

get it hot-tanked and or cleaned after you re-tap it