Notices

HKS or TURBONETICS BOV???....Which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HKS or TURBONETICS BOV???....Which is better?

i currently have a HKS BOV going on my 99 accord with the turbo system that i have placed together. Now i wanted a turbonetics BOV since i already have a turbonetics wastegate, and turbo, basically wanted to stay with the same name. Should i replace the HKS BOv with the raptor model from turbonetics or is the HKS model a better unit with a better sound??....any ideas...
Old 10-16-2007, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HKS or TURBONETICS BOV???....Which is better? (leoverte)

ttt

Old 10-18-2007, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any one
Old 10-18-2007, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honda-tech's policy is that your a "ricer" if you ask any opinions pertaining to a blow off valve, as it releases sound. It would be nice to ask your fellow enthusiasts an opinion, but since it's not a wastegate, piston, or boost controller, but something that emits sound, then your out of luck. Sound has been associated to being a ricer (i.e. blow off valves, exhausts, etc). So basically H-T's advice is, if SSAC comes out with a silent blow off valve, buy that.

It's unfortunate I know.... I've personally never had much contact with either. I am sure both are fairly capable, but like I said, I can't personally vouch for either.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HKS or TURBONETICS BOV???....Which is better? (RC000E)

RC is right. IMO, the only thing thats gonna influence your decision on either is the "ad-speak" from each manufacturer.

All BOV's are characteristically different, but serve the same purpose: To prevent compressor surge. To me, it all comes down to a "sound" preference. I myself must admit I like loud BOV's so naturally I have a Turbo XS RFL on my Teg, but Im NOT by any means, a "ricer".

My suggestion, get up with your fellow boosted peeps, listen to their BOV's, and let personal preference make your decision for you.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HKS or TURBONETICS BOV???....Which is better? (TDogg Teg)

ok..thank you both guys....as for the "ricer" issue, i didnt know asking such a question would be viewed in such a way. I probably should have been clearer and stated that i HAVENT boosted a car, basicallly anyone around my area or town with a boosted car MOST likely has a POS turbo system that i would not want to base my first attempt on, and i TOO should have just stated that i wanted to know which would be louder. As for the function, again remember this being my first boosting experience, i roughly knew that its purpose was to release excess boost pressure. I am not a ricer, so i dont even have to bother defending myself against that; i just dont know everything regarding turboing a car.

So basically clearing up my question, "Which one is a louder BOV?"....thanks again guys...your idea on which is louder would help.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive heard both and IMO, the Raptor is louder. The HKS has more "whistle".
Old 10-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, the blow off valve "lets not talk about it on Honda-Tech" thing is kind of rediculous. I have built these cars since 1998 and building cars involves all things, how it looks, how it sounds, how it feels, and how it performs. Somehow caring how your blow off valve sounds made you a ricer.

Truly, it should come down to how the blow off valve performs, there's no doubt. I do although care if it sounds like a flock of doves when it blows off. So, personally I have always weighed the sound of a blow off valve. Wanting the loudest, well, that definitely reveals a little bit of a noob status, but in the end if that's what you want you shouldn't be pursecuted for it. I'd rather a noob ask for the loudest blow off valve and buy a real deal quality rfl, along with other quality parts, versus the noob that goes on ebay and buys chinese knock off junk in his quest for a turbo.

I've installed a few RFL's and I'll tell you...they're loud. I personally would get annoyed with it, but if that's what you want then....

Old 10-19-2007, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HKS or TURBONETICS BOV???....Which is better? (RC000E)

Off the subject, but DAMN, thats a nice combustion chamber vid in ur sig!
Old 10-19-2007, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i currently have the hks and was thinking bout selling if for the raptor so that my system would basically be complete turbonetics components with greddy electronics...i know that may sound cheezzy to have everything matching, but i am kinda **** like that when it comes to my projects and besides i figured that the units would all work better among themselves.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TDogg Teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Off the subject, but DAMN, thats a nice combustion chamber vid in ur sig! </TD></TR></TABLE>

**** is sick ain't it...I came across that and was like wow. I've seen computer simulations, but never REAL combustion video

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by leoverte &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i currently have the hks and was thinking bout selling if for the raptor so that my system would basically be complete turbonetics components with greddy electronics...i know that may sound cheezzy to have everything matching, but i am kinda **** like that when it comes to my projects and besides i figured that the units would all work better among themselves. </TD></TR></TABLE>

No, not cheesy at all...I mean its your project and there's nothing wrong with standing behind a company if you like their product.