Notices

HKS Racing Blow off valve Type II... is this real?

Old 02-01-2006, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HKS Racing Blow off valve Type II... is this real?

I ordereda HKS Racing BOV Type II couple days ago and UPS delivered it today. I ordered it from http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com, which is a pretty big company and i never had any problems with them in the past. Before deciding on this BOV, i searched through a bunch of forums on reviews and saw some pictures (but now the links are dead). But the one thing i remembered was that the box was black and purple... mine was packed in a white box.

Can someone tell me if this look authentic? Does the bov have a stamp anywhere on the bov?

Modified by boostedK20a2 at 5:52 PM 2/1/2006
Old 02-01-2006, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HKS Racing Blow off valve Type II... is this real? (boostedK20a2)

im not familiar with that bov enough to say....but i know HPFREAKS puts their name on all of the ssautochrome, obx sytle parts and sells them as their own.

i put a hp freaks manifold on a supra, and with in 30 seconds of starting the car...the manifold broke internally and destroyed a brand new precision turbo. i just installed a HP Freaks intercooler...i have pictures..its far from ideal.

im not trying to be an *** towards HP Freaks, but i feel people need to be aware of things like this.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HKS Racing Blow off valve Type II... is this real? (Turbo-charged)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo-charged &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im not familiar with that bov enough to say....but i know HPFREAKS puts their name on all of the ssautochrome, obx sytle parts and sells them as their own.

i put a hp freaks manifold on a supra, and with in 30 seconds of starting the car...the manifold broke internally and destroyed a brand new precision turbo. i just installed a HP Freaks intercooler...i have pictures..its far from ideal.

im not trying to be an *** towards HP Freaks, but i feel people need to be aware of things like this.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

so the only problems you had were their "style/knockoff" products?

Have you ever had any problems with the name brand stuff they sell like HKS, Greddy, Tial, etc...?
Old 02-01-2006, 03:46 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo-charged &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im not familiar with that bov enough to say....but i know HPFREAKS puts their name on all of the ssautochrome, obx sytle parts and sells them as their own.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

more reasonable doubt ouch
Old 02-01-2006, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is does exist....A couple H-T og's had those in their cars a while back
Old 02-01-2006, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well....a customer brought me one of their kits...it had all the normal ebay stuff on it. the fake wastegate over boosted like crazy...like i said the manifold and intercooler were ebay stuff and the manifold broke internally. the first turbo sent with the kit was a "B" housing turbo. when i told them taht there was no way in hell i was going to put a B housing turbo on a supra they did send me a true precision turbo (which got killed in 30 seconds) the new manifold was flanged for a tial 44mm, and they sent a true tial wastegate (which still had some boost creep with the manifold design) thats only about a 1/4 of the problems with the kit.....but the only 2 parts they supplied that were not their own product, were in fact the product that they were suposed to be.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo-charged &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well....a customer brought me one of their kits...it had all the normal ebay stuff on it. the fake wastegate over boosted like crazy...like i said the manifold and intercooler were ebay stuff and the manifold broke internally. the first turbo sent with the kit was a "B" housing turbo. when i told them taht there was no way in hell i was going to put a B housing turbo on a supra they did send me a true precision turbo (which got killed in 30 seconds) the new manifold was flanged for a tial 44mm, and they sent a true tial wastegate (which still had some boost creep with the manifold design) thats only about a 1/4 of the problems with the kit.....but the only 2 parts they supplied that were not their own product, were in fact the product that they were suposed to be.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the last part eased my mind a little. i will hold off on installing it until i confirm that its authentic. hopefully its not a knockoff.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks like a real one. i'll see if i can find pics of one that was on a impreza. i would say contact hks usa or shoot them an email with pictures. they might be able to tell you.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HKS Racing Blow off valve Type II... is this real? (jarel)

My friend has a real one on his Si. That looks like a real one in my opinion. He paid like $400 for his like a year ago from NOPI. I know they are very expensive compared to other brands so if you paid a lot then more than likely it's the real thing.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does the bov have a hks stamp anywhere on it?

my tuner says there should be a HKS stamp in this area:

Old 02-01-2006, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HKS Racing Blow off valve Type II... is this real? (BLK JDM)

yeah i would say that is a real one

the black/purple hks boxes of the past couple of years from what i have seen are going away - even the new HKS SSQV's come in just a plain brown box so don't worry too much about the packaging

i have also seen numerous of the knock-offs in person with their packaging and they don't look like what you have pictured as far as the hardware, etc
Old 02-01-2006, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HKS Racing Blow off valve Type II... is this real? (ihaterice)

Kinda off topic, but is that the BOV that sounds really weird when it blows off. A friend of mine described it like, "a baby elephant getting stepped on"
Old 02-02-2006, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just confirmed that the blow off valve is authentic.

the HKS rep also said that there is no HKS stamp anywhere on the bov, just a sticker on the side where i can choose to put it on.

got me kinda worried a bit, lol