Notices

Highway driving with turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Highway driving with turbo

Is there something I should do so I dont boost on the highway on long trips. I figure I'll probably be at 3,500 RPM's goin about 70 most of the time and I don't like knowing that my turbo is getting the **** spooled out of it the whole way. Is there anything do to about this?
Old 03-08-2005, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Highway driving with turbo (JohnnyH)

huh? you could be at 6000rpm and not be boosting. i can tell you havent driven a turbo car before. it all about load not rpm. when people quote spool times they mean at full throttle not 10% or whatever like you are on the highway, besides, you wouldn't want a turbo that would do much at 3500 any way.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Highway driving with turbo (Bailhatch)

haha. There is no boost at partial throttle.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Highway driving with turbo (DefiantGSR)

The reason I say this is because I've taken it on the highway and even at partial throttle there will be about 1-2 psi I'm just asking if thats a bad thing. My turbo RX7 I didn't really give 2 ***** about and I kinda wanted to see the rotary motor blow up cuz I had a spare. I don't want to blow up my teg... I love her. lol
Old 03-08-2005, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Highway driving with turbo (DefiantGSR)

word when i drove my friends car, I was like WTF you got some crazy *** boost lag yo... I wasnt even on fulll throttle
Old 03-08-2005, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

gotta love boost noobies...no load, no boost simple as that.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Highway driving with turbo (BrokeAssPinoy)

haha... yea i know my first post was kinda retarded sounding... I just read it again and laughed at myself. I meant is there any problems with the 1-2 psi while driving.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:56 PM

I understand what you are asking.

At highway speeds, when climbing a hill in 5th gear I often go to 20+% throttle (I know because of SAFC), and at this throttle level I do drift out of vaccum and into boost. My OBDII reader shows more than 100% load when this happens, and so far it has had no ill-effects on the engine. As long as you don't start detonating you're fine.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:00 PM

Unless you like to cruise at 90 up hill everywhere you should NOT be hitting 1-2 pounds of boost with your setup. Check for a faulty boost gauge. We can cruise all day long at 4000 on the highway in a friends 84mm JDM ITR with a GT28RS and it never leaves vacuum.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Highway driving with turbo (beepy)

Ya but he has a t3/t4 on a B18. i still dont get it. I could easily drive 1000 miles with no boost on that setup.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:54 AM

there is no way your boosting 1-2 psi just crusing on the highway, even going up a hill you should be able to exelerate without going into boost. Are you sure its not your gauge?
Old 03-09-2005, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Highway driving with turbo (doubleA)

When I climb hills on the freeway my car will often see boost, it's because I have to give it a little more gas to not lose speed...

As long as you have a good tune you should be fine...

I try not to do it too much right now because I haven't finely tuned my car yet, but after that I will... it will be interesting to see where my a/fs are at...

I'm going to try some 5th gear pulls starting from low RPMs at WOT, even this shouldn't hurt if you have a good tune...
Old 03-09-2005, 10:44 AM

Default Re: Highway driving with turbo (EJ1 wilcox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When I climb hills on the freeway my car will often see boost, it's because I have to give it a little more gas to not lose speed...

As long as you have a good tune you should be fine...

I try not to do it too much right now because I haven't finely tuned my car yet, but after that I will... it will be interesting to see where my a/fs are at...

I'm going to try some 5th gear pulls starting from low RPMs at WOT, even this shouldn't hurt if you have a good tune...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont know if I would go that far... dont our hondas not like long 4th and 5th gear pulls...?
Old 03-10-2005, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Highway driving with turbo (Boosted96EK)

No boost at partial throttle, good to know. I was just wondering how to drive a boosted car in winter... hopefully mine will be boosted by then.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there is nothing wrong with boost in snow. I do it every day lately

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I'm going to try some 5th gear pulls starting from low RPMs at WOT, even this shouldn't hurt if you have a good tune...</TD></TR></TABLE>

a lot of stock cars will knock if you do this. its called bad driving in my book.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:31 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm going to try some 5th gear pulls starting from low RPMs at WOT, even this shouldn't hurt if you have a good tune...</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is what blew my #2 and 3 cylinders all to **** (no compression). #1 had 140psi and #4 had 40.
Except mine was in 4th gear. Only pulled for about 10 seconds or so too. Smoke EVERYWHERE!!

Anyway, to the OP, are you worried about your turbo actually spinning while cruising on the highway and maybe creating wear and tear or are you worried that it might actually make some boost?
Old 03-11-2005, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bailhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
a lot of stock cars will knock if you do this. its called bad driving in my book. </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IslandSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is what blew my #2 and 3 cylinders all to **** (no compression). #1 had 140psi and #4 had 40.
Except mine was in 4th gear. Only pulled for about 10 seconds or so too. Smoke EVERYWHERE!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Okay... maybe I won't do that then! LoL... Why is it you can do that in a stock turbo car and not a Honda? Do they get too hot?

I mean theoretically if you tuned your map so if you were in boost at a low RPM you still had a good mixture then you wouldn't have problems right? Or do the pistons just get too hot and the rings give out no matter what?

I'm certainly not going to go out and learn for myself that it's bad but I'm just wondering why this tends to happen...
Old 03-11-2005, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Highway driving with turbo (IslandSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IslandSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This is what blew my #2 and 3 cylinders all to **** (no compression). #1 had 140psi and #4 had 40.
Except mine was in 4th gear. Only pulled for about 10 seconds or so too. Smoke EVERYWHERE!!

Anyway, to the OP, are you worried about your turbo actually spinning while cruising on the highway and maybe creating wear and tear or are you worried that it might actually make some boost?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why do pulls in 4th or 5th gear bad? I can't see how this could have happened. Could tuning have fixed this? On my 18G turbo i was running before, partial throttle(50%) did make me go into boost.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Highway driving with turbo (Pikachu)

this thread makes me feel dumber by reading it.
if you dont wanna boost it, then keep it at partial throttle. Ive driven for 2 months already without boosting. It takes driver input. Dont be heavy on the gas and dont worry.

Also staying on the boost continuously is what kills motors. hi cyl pressures on long highway pulls will break it. not a gradual couple psi here and there
Old 03-11-2005, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

4th and 5th gear pulls are not bad. I do it all the time on my Boosted B16 CRX. The issue is tuning... If you A/F stays constant then you should be fine.

Disclaimer: If your A/F is off at 2800, 3500, 4200, etc you will barely notice in 1st, 2nd & 3rd gears because they go through the RPMS so fast. However, in a 4th and 5th gear, low RPM WOT pull to REDLINE you tend to hang in each RPM longer. Thus a quick lean condition in 2nd become a blown ring land in 5th.

Not to mention the load on the engine at 2500 RPMs WOT in 5th is much higher than 6000 RPMs in 2nd.

Hope this help and please, correct me if I am wrong...

Jesse @ Turbo Kits.com
Old 03-11-2005, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Highway driving with turbo (turbo-kits-com)

yeah just check your gauge. it will accelerate alot slower by keeping it out of boost but the car will pick up speed pretty good at 10vac. just get on partial throttle and you'll never see boost.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:42 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pikachu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I can't see how this could have happened. Could tuning have fixed this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

4th gear for about 10-15 seconds, running a pretty decent basemap in uberdata on 8 psi on a stock B16 with 58K miles on it. Eh, I dunno. It was the tuning (or lack of) that did it. Did it to myself. But it gave me an excuse to shell out the cash to get the motor rebuilt. I just couldn't get myself to rip out a perfectly fine motor to have it built. Now that it's blown I don't have a choice. Kinda bitter sweet I guess.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Highway driving with turbo (turbo-kits-com)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbo-kits-com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">4th and 5th gear pulls are not bad. I do it all the time on my Boosted B16 CRX. The issue is tuning... If you A/F stays constant then you should be fine.

Disclaimer: If your A/F is off at 2800, 3500, 4200, etc you will barely notice in 1st, 2nd & 3rd gears because they go through the RPMS so fast. However, in a 4th and 5th gear, low RPM WOT pull to REDLINE you tend to hang in each RPM longer. Thus a quick lean condition in 2nd become a blown ring land in 5th.

Not to mention the load on the engine at 2500 RPMs WOT in 5th is much higher than 6000 RPMs in 2nd.

Hope this help and please, correct me if I am wrong...

Jesse @ Turbo Kits.com</TD></TR></TABLE>

You have half the story. Timing is the other half.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Highway driving with turbo (CaptivaBlue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CaptivaBlue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No boost at partial throttle, good to know. I was just wondering how to drive a boosted car in winter... hopefully mine will be boosted by then.</TD></TR></TABLE>

dude..we have the same aviator!
Old 03-12-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Highway driving with turbo (LostCRX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LostCRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

dude..we have the same avatar! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Quick Reply: Highway driving with turbo