Notices

Higher idle speed after clutch and flywheel install.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 02:05 PM
SWC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Higher idle speed after clutch and flywheel install.

I just installed XTD stage4 clutch and 8lbs flywheel. Now the idle speed is 1100 which is 300 higher than before. Also sometimes the idle is going up and down little bit. Is this because of the lighter flywheel? or improper installation?
Any opinion? Thanks.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Higher idle speed after clutch and flywheel install. (SWC)

It's because of something else, not the clutch. Maybe you have a loose vac line or something like that. Double check everything.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:16 PM
SWC

Default Re: Higher idle speed after clutch and flywheel install. (nsxmatt)

I checked everything again and found no problem. The wierd thing is that the idle is not steady. Sometimes when I push clutch pedal at dead stop, it came back to normal 800 and steady. After driving again, then the idle is going up and down again or steady higher. I'm guessing the ecu to try find out the idle point with the new lighter flywheel. But not sure. Anyone else?
Old 12-21-2005, 06:58 PM

im having the same prob with my new clutch and fly wheel set up but I dont really care. just thought id tell you that the same thing hapened to me.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:39 PM
SWC

Default Re: Higher idle speed after clutch and flywheel install. (h kid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h kid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im having the same prob with my new clutch and fly wheel set up but I dont really care. just thought id tell you that the same thing hapened to me.</TD></TR></TABLE>
How long have you had this problem? And what clutch and flywheel are you running?
Old 12-21-2005, 10:42 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

the ecu is trying to relearn the idle..... unplug the ecu for awhile and plug it back in... it should relearn the idle characteristics of the motor...... when you had the other flywheel in it weighted more so it took more of the IACV to get it to idle, now the ecu wont go below that setting its memorized.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:36 PM
SWC

Default Re: Higher idle speed after clutch and flywheel install. (wantboost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the ecu is trying to relearn the idle..... unplug the ecu for awhile and plug it back in... it should relearn the idle characteristics of the motor...... when you had the other flywheel in it weighted more so it took more of the IACV to get it to idle, now the ecu wont go below that setting its memorized.</TD></TR></TABLE>
It seems to be fine after I adjusted idle switch(?) on the throttle body little bit lower. Is it proper way to fix this problem?
Old 12-22-2005, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SWC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
It seems to be fine after I adjusted idle switch(?) on the throttle body little bit lower. Is it proper way to fix this problem?</TD></TR></TABLE>

After I installed my clutch/turbo set up/chipped ecu/uberdata/etc I had a somewhat erratic idle , mainly just too low.

I was able to get it slightly better with the TB adjustment screw. Shortly afterward it gave me a CEL, I just needed to reset the ECU after the adjustment.

Thought I would share incase your adjustment gets you a CEL.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:02 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SWC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
How long have you had this problem? And what clutch and flywheel are you running?</TD></TR></TABLE>

got the clutch and fly wheel in about 3 days ago
Old 12-22-2005, 06:06 PM
SWC

Default Re: Higher idle speed after clutch and flywheel install. (jfoster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jfoster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

After I installed my clutch/turbo set up/chipped ecu/uberdata/etc I had a somewhat erratic idle , mainly just too low.

I was able to get it slightly better with the TB adjustment screw. Shortly afterward it gave me a CEL, I just needed to reset the ECU after the adjustment.

Thought I would share incase your adjustment gets you a CEL.</TD></TR></TABLE>
No CEL's so far. I'll reset the ecu if I got the CEL.
Thanks for your info.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h kid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

got the clutch and fly wheel in about 3 days ago</TD></TR></TABLE>
Try this. It works for me.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dumb *** ? but by resetting the ecu you mean taking the negative cable off the battery???
Old 12-22-2005, 09:23 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Higher idle speed after clutch and flywheel install. (sohctodohc)

yea, but that also kills your radio... just unplug the ecu from the harness and let it sit for about 10 minutes
Old 12-22-2005, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Higher idle speed after clutch and flywheel install. (wantboost)

I believe the helms manual says (on obd1 cars) unplug a certain fuse for 10 seconds, and that does the trick. Not 10 minutes - it's not like a sub capacitor.

The way hondas idle is mainly though the idle ajustment screw and the ecu adjusting the IACV. You set the idle to 400 or so with the IACV unplugged, and then it should idle around 700-800 after plugging it back in. Reset the ecu before and after. The reason it wants to idle faster is obvious - that's a lot of rotating mass you just took off the motor. For instance, on a b-series, OEM to 8lbs is the same as 275lbs less in the car for 1st gear.

Anyways, it makes the motor spin faster with the same amount of air (less weight resisting motion). When you think about it, at idle the crank is actually always accellerating and decellerating. Alt/PS/AC/oil&water pump, belts, tranny shaft sloshing fluid around, motor/trans bearings - all sapping power & decellerating the crank in between ignition. When the idle is set above that of which the ecu is set for, it will idle crazy.